Large Capacity Feeding Devices

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Large capacity feeding devices (AKA high capacity magazines).

What are legal in the great Commonwealth of Massachusetts? Do they have to have been in the Commonwealth prior to our 1998 law? Or is it legal to have any pre-AWB hi-caps shipped here from out of state?

Has there been any definitive statement on this or is it another one of the AG's double secret probation pitfalls?

Thanks.

My understanding of it ( and I am far from an expert, this is just what I have read) if it is made pre-9/13/94 it's legal, post-9/13/94 it is a felony in MA unless you are LE.

I am hoping that one of our resident lawyers, Jesse or Darius, join in and can offer their expertise.

I tried to order some pre-ban mags from out of state today and the guy baliked (because of our "reputation"). The expert I guided him to shot me down (if he is telling the truth) by saying that if the magazines were not in state before the 1998 MGL, then they were illegal here.

Chapter 140 Sec. 131M was part of the 1998 law. Mags MUST have been lawfully possessed ANYWHERE in the Universe on Sept 13, 1994 to be exempt from the ban.

Most non-MA dealers have never read this law, have no clue, only have heard that we have a "ban" and thus assume nothing can be sold/shipped here. Some are educable, but a fair percentage can't be educated!

Good luck.

Len has it exactly right.

When I have purchased large capacity mags from out of state sellers, private individuals, I mean, if they balk at all, I send them an email copy of 131M and snail mail them a copy of my Class A ALP LTC.

So far it has worked every time.

Darius

That is what I thought. But out-of-state dealers seem to have become so paranoid about Massachusetts that they will not take the chance.

Large capacity mags and post-ban guns

Can anyone clarify this issue for me?

May a pre-ban high-cap magazine be lawfully used in a post-ban gun?

Or must both the gun AND the mag be pre-ban to be carried together?

In other words, if a person owns a rifle or a pistol made, in lets say, 2004, may he use that gun with a pre-ban hi-cap mag?

My questions presumes that the carrier is a Class A holder and that the magazine is a verified pre-ban mag.

I have been through Ch. 140, particularly sec. 131m but am not sure what the answer is.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

There is NO ban on hi-cap guns of any sort in MA, never has been!

So-called AWBs are banned if they were made post-9/13/94 (same as Fed AWB, but permanent in MA).

Back to your question:

- Possession of hi-cap mags made before 9/13/94 (NO matter where they resided) are perfectly legal with LTC-A in MA!

- You can mix and match guns/mags (assuming that they fit) with impunity. The two issues (guns and mags) are totally separate issues under the law.

LenS said:
- You can mix and match guns/mags (assuming that they fit) with impunity. The two issues (guns and mags) are totally separate issues under the law.

Len, thanks for the helpful and quick reply. This (above) is exactly what I was trying to determine.

Part of my asking came up because I am going to look at a somewhat new AR tomorrow, and the seller has it listed with a 10 round mag and a pre-ban hi-cap mag. I was also generally curious in case I wanted to find and carry a 15 round mag for my new-ish Beretta 96.

Now, the question is where to find verifiably pre-ban hi-cap mags. Any suggestions?

Again, thanks!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom