LAPD 'top shot' officer sued for shooting, killing man who advanced with a 'box cutter'

She could have paid a bit more money and get a better chin pull face job. I know her kind.

I know I am the minority here, but I watched the video and I believe that her choice of shooting distance is at best questionable and at worst- blood thirsty. The guy had a box cutter, not anything remotely capable of hurting anybody at the distance she opened fire. Couple more seconds of yelling and persuasion might have been enough To save a life. Maybe not. Who knows. I personally would have engaged him at much closer distance.

At least the video is of good quality so I am sure the justice will prevail either way.

21 feet – 1.5 seconds – Accepted Standard
75 feet / 25 yards – less than 5 seconds – common pistol qualification distance
210 feet / 70 yards – 14 seconds – potential distance average man can travel and function after receiving fatal words from officers pistol

To assume that thirty-two feet would take fifty percent longer would be a mistake because you would have to assume that the bad guy started, stopped at twenty-one feet, restarted and then reached thirty-two feet. Reality is quite different. If you accepted that logic, the time would be about two-point-two-five seconds. In reality it would be less than two seconds.

If I ever have to get shot by a cop, I hope the cop looks like her. 'Cause then she'll have to do cpr on me
[devil]

She can stand down at my place anytime

21 feet – 1.5 seconds – Accepted Standard
75 feet / 25 yards – less than 5 seconds – common pistol qualification distance
210 feet / 70 yards – 14 seconds – potential distance average man can travel and function after receiving fatal words from officers pistol

To assume that thirty-two feet would take fifty percent longer would be a mistake because you would have to assume that the bad guy started, stopped at twenty-one feet, restarted and then reached thirty-two feet. Reality is quite different. If you accepted that logic, the time would be about two-point-two-five seconds. In reality it would be less than two seconds.

As I said- this was my personal take on the shooting on the video. My training (and believes) are somewhat different and I would probably not have fired a round at all, but that is just me. All I am saying is that whenever shooting a person looks like a target practice there are questions to be asked. Especially when you put more rounds into a target that is already down.

I am not a forensics pro nor I claim to be. I hope the truth is sorted out one way or another.

As I said- this was my personal take on the shooting on the video. My training (and believes) are somewhat different and I would probably not have fired a round at all, but that is just me. All I am saying is that whenever shooting a person looks like a target practice there are questions to be asked. Especially when you put more rounds into a target that is already down.

I am not a forensics pro nor I claim to be. I hope the truth is sorted out one way or another.
You should be a quarterback. On Monday mornings only.

Can you expand on your training and beliefs so that it might make more sense to us here reading? Because as it stands it appears you have no training and believe you should let a crazed armed lunatic get on top of you before you decide to take action.

I’m not trying to be a dick when I say that, it’s simply how it comes across the way you’ve put it out there, there must be more to it and details matter when conversing via text.

Can you expand on your training and beliefs so that it might make more sense to us here reading? Because as it stands it appears you have no training and believe you should let a crazed armed lunatic get on top of you before you decide to take action.

I’m not trying to be a dick when I say that, it’s simply how it comes across the way you’ve put it out there, there must be more to it and details matter when conversing via text.

Sorry, not getting into a pissing match with you (or anybody)... you are certainly entitled to your opinion

Sorry, not getting into a pissing match with you (or anybody)... you are certainly entitled to your opinion

It wasn’t meant to start a pissing match, I thought I made that clear but apparently not.

You mentioned your training and beliefs a couple times, I’m just curious what that is and to what extent, and why it leads you to the conclusions that you posted.

Last edited:
Dude ignores all commands while wielding a knife aggressively advances takes two rounds only to get up and ask for more?

And our resident asschapped armchairs say “not me man. I woulda never fired...”

That is the biggest LOL ever and you have just been outed as the delusional liar you are.

She can expect all legal fees to be paid by the city or union, and all damages to be paid by the city.
True. For us "civilian" peons, it would come out of our retirement savings accounts, our houses and our kids' college funds. We wouldn't have to worry about it coming out of our paychecks. Once our names and photos appear on the media, our employment in the private sector would be terminated immediately.

I can believe that Best Practice is to never stand in front of a door
that someone may shoot through,
even on a "routine" call (<- no such thing, I'm sure).

But they'd be pretty naive to expect someone to open an apartment door
in the middle of the night, just because a disembodied voice says "Police".
Or "Candygram".

There's got to be a contingency plan for identifying themselves
to a skeptical homeowner.
(But I won't be surprised if the encounter was "simpler" than that).

This is true and unfortunately has many facets to it.

Everybody these days is wound up tight and everyone on both sides of it are getting jumpy and scared, I think unfortunately that’s leading to some of this shit happening.

Folks have seen and heard on the news over the last few years of home invasions being prefaced by people at the door saying “it’s the police” and even wearing some kind of thrown together uniforms in many cases to fool them thru windows or peepholes.

Folks are wound up tight because of all this rioting and burning and 24/7 news cycles of fear and blood being pushed. They’re frightened that it’s going to come to their doors and are arming themselves more and more, but sadly maybe not training themselves on a lot of the ‘what if’s’.

Cops are being ambushed left and right for the last few years now also, a lot of those incidents being prefaced with general calls for service and when they show up they’re met with rifle fire from the dark road or woods across the street or even right thru the front door and being killed or badly wounded.

So to counter that a lot of them are killing their blue lights that would normally be seen flashing thru your windows or curtains when they arrive and rolling up dark to look around first (we used to call it ‘SELLS’ (SLLS) in the military), a quick all around environmental check during a pause in movement (Stop/Look/Listen and Smell) trying to be more stealthy so they don’t get killed in an ambush. And then sadly when someone does innocently open the door in the dark and is holding a weapon things go south quickly. Perfect storm type of thing.

Not saying it’s right, not by any means, just voicing why I think it happens that way sometimes. It’s the ambush (home invasion) protection mindset of the homeowner vs the counter ambush assault by the cops on the porch who now think they’ve been set up to get killed.

I don’t have any answers right now on how to go about fixing this mess we’re all in and I won’t BS you and pretend I do. I’m sure there are ways to work around it and keep everyone calm and safe, but just right now I got nothing but tired eyes.

Last edited:
So should the suspect be permitted to get so close that any means will fail to stop a determined attack?

Currently it seems the mobs believe that it's better that the cop be stabbed to death than to kill the meth head with the knife before he harms anyone else.

This is clearly a suicide by cop situation with a guy who's already caused a large traffic accident where other people have been hurt. It's clear that aid is being rendered to other victims of the accident before the shooting. This is already a situation where this guy has caused harm to someone other than just himself. This is a good shoot all day long in my view.

It wasn’t meant to start a pissing match, I thought I made that clear but apparently not.

You mentioned your training and beliefs a couple times, I’m just curious what that is and to what extent, and why it leads you to the conclusions that you posted.

Lets just say that where I come from (true, it has been a while... :) a more ... symmetrical approach in such scenarios is thought in the classroom and expected in the field. While that does not mean letting some confused and angry civilian poke me with a short blade it definitely calls for more... restraint and a bit more effort to preserve life. After all pissing off civvies is always counter productive.

Again- this is my take and I do not engage anybody with it. Folks are free to not agree with me or get angry when they look in the mirror :)

Lets just say that where I come from (true, it has been a while... :) a more ... symmetrical approach in such scenarios is thought in the classroom and expected in the field. While that does not mean letting some confused and angry civilian poke me with a short blade it definitely calls for more... restraint and a bit more effort to preserve life. After all pissing off civvies is always counter productive.

Again- this is my take and I do not engage anybody with it. Folks are free to not agree with me or get angry when they look in the mirror :)
I'm still young on my journey. It sounds like you've been through more. In order to help me learn and grow, can you tell me a bit about your background? I'd like to know what options I'm missing in case I'm ever in a similar situation.

I'm still young on my journey. It sounds like you've been through more. In order to help me learn and grow, can you tell me a bit about your background? I'd like to know what options I'm missing in case I'm ever in a similar situation.
psst, he can't. What he said is the equivalent of "I have nothing, but won't admit it"

This is where I’m struggling to understand your post and intent. The vagueness doesn’t help explain anything. “Where you come from...” tells us nothing as to your experience in such things. Are you former LEO? Military? Walmart SWAT Team watching for falling prices?

You can’t “teach” these things in a classroom. Sure you can teach laws and procedures and lessons learned, but not life and death immediate action drills or decisions. If you try you’re wasting your time. That’s akin to a new butter bar LT arriving in country and reading from his books while on patrol.

You’re purposely softening or downplaying the actions of the S/P in this case for some reason by stating he’s just an ‘angry and confused’ person with a ‘short blade’. That’s BS. He’s raging on meth, has already caused a multi-vehicle accident with possibly traumatic injuries to those in the vehicles or other pedestrians, and is either suicidal or homicidal and has clearly shown his intent to kill or be killed. That’s a fair step above angry and confused. I get angry and confused if I try to order a Starbucks instead of a normal coffee.

Getting “poked with a short blade” is also trying to excuse this guy and totally sugar coat it. A box cutter is absolutely deadly and goes through human flesh like a Light Saber. There’s a reason Drs use razors (scalpels) to do surgery.

“Pissing off civilians”? Have you read many of the threads around here? Looked outside your window lately? There is zero that you can do anymore that won’t piss somebody off. That doesn’t make them right, it just makes them pissed. Hell it could be raining unicorn pussy outside and someone would complain there’s not enough a**h***s mixed in. That’s just life and has to be removed from the equation when your life or someone else’s is at stake.

And you end all of your vagueness with “I don’t engage” or “pissing contest” by saying if others don’t agree they’ll be angry looking at themselves in the mirror. WTH does that mean? If they don’t agree then they’re idiots would be my understanding of that passive aggressive statement.

So I have to ask again, politely, exactly what training and experience do you have in these situations? Because it still reads like that would be Zero to 4 hrs of classroom safety briefing 30 yrs ago.

Last edited:
Haven't seen this mentioned, but it looks like those police body cameras have a wide angle lens, which would make sense for capturing as much of a scene as possible. However, in this case it gives the false impression that Hernandez was much farther away, perhaps causing some of the NES MMQs (Monday Morning Q'backs) to claim she shot too early. A study of the cell phone videos in the city report paints a different picture. And those lenses may have been wide angle, too. He was plenty close enough to be a deadly threat.
The lady cop in Michigan is lucky she didn't get stabbed and then shot with her own gun. The dude made contact with her pistol. If she hadn't cleared that jam so well, who knows how it would have ended.

What I saw was a very well trained shooter. The shots weren't panicked like in other videos I've seen. I think that plays into peopls perception of the shoot. I wish more cops were trained to shoot like this.

This is where I’m struggling to understand your post and intent. The vagueness doesn’t help explain anything. “Where you come from...” tells us nothing as to your experience in such things. Are you former LEO? Military? Walmart SWAT Team watching for falling prices?

You can’t “teach” these things in a classroom. Sure you can teach laws and procedures and lessons learned, but not life and death immediate action drills or decisions. If you try you’re wasting your time. That’s akin to a new butter bar LT arriving in country and reading from his books while on patrol.

You’re purposely softening or downplaying the actions of the S/P in this case for some reason by stating he’s just an ‘angry and confused’ person with a ‘short blade’. That’s BS. He’s raging on meth, has already caused a multi-vehicle accident with possibly traumatic injuries to those in the vehicles or other pedestrians, and is either suicidal or homicidal and has clearly shown his intent to kill or be killed. That’s a fair step above angry and confused. I get angry and confused if I try to order a Starbucks instead of a normal coffee.

Getting “poked with a short blade” is also trying to excuse this guy and totally sugar coat it. A box cutter is absolutely deadly and goes through human flesh like a Light Saber. There’s a reason Drs use razors (scalpels) to do surgery.

“Pissing off civilians”? Have you read many of the threads around here? Looked outside your window lately? There is zero that you can do anymore that won’t piss somebody off. That doesn’t make them right, it just makes them pissed. Hell it could be raining unicorn pussy outside and someone would complain there’s not enough a**h***s mixed in. That’s just life and has to be removed from the equation when your life or someone else’s is at stake.

And you end all of your vagueness with “I don’t engage” or “pissing contest” by saying if others don’t agree they’ll be angry looking at themselves in the mirror. WTH does that mean? If they don’t agree then they’re idiots would be my understanding of that passive aggressive statement.

So I have to ask again, politely, exactly what training and experience do you have in these situations? Because it still reads like that would be Zero to 4 hrs of classroom safety briefing 30 yrs ago.

Thank you for the time to provide a thoughtful and concise opinion. I see your point and I will play.

My training is irrelevant as I didn't say "We at 101 A are trained in urban environment to not engage anybody without a firearm unless 7 yards or less" or anything of that nature. So for all intents and purposes and to maintain world peace consider my formal training to fall strictly into the "Zero to 4 hours of classroom safety 30 years ago".

What I did say is "I would not have engaged the target that far out" and I will add "Once the first hits landed I do not approve of some of actions". What I also said is that I am not qualified to judge a law enforcement actions as they are probably different than what I learned during my 0-4 hour classroom sting, but since there are sufficient artifacts (video, witnesses, etc.) I am positive that the truth whatever it is in this case will prevail.

Now, with that behind us, let me provide you with my take on the situation based on the original video.

1:31 - Attacker sees the pistol (I am not sure he was aware of it before that) and assumes the ghetto "come at me bro/sis" posture. Usually when somebody does that he has already decided not to attack and is looking for "now what- you going to shoot me?" demeanor which is the macho way to defuse the situation and emerge the "winner" of the predicament. In the Middle East this is the equivalent of spreading your arms and waiving them up and down while trying to show no weapons, but also a manly lack of fear. Generally after this in combination with a lot of verbal order shouting the situation defuses (or the guy pulls a Krink and SHTF or worse- the pin of his belt, but I digress). The short version is lack of effort by the attacker to avoid potential shots is indication of no desire to attack.

1:32- The officer fires her gun and the attacker goes down. If she is a decent shot at that distance the shots are effective, but adrenaline is still pumping so the attacker tries to get up. 3/4 of people that get shot in this situation will try to get up, but not to continue the conflict, but to return to some normality (ie you get up- all is ok and the pain will mysteriously disappear). Have you seen a tough kid get hurt? What does s/he do? After the faceplant they jump up all bloody and scream "I am ok!"... same mechanism applies here. Drugs only amplify the behavior.

1:36 more shots are fired as he is trying to get up. I can understand if she engages him at a longer distance that I would, but this right here is where the optics become bad- she simply executes him. Btw, my personal read on his body language suggests he is not going to get up as he is hurt already badly. If anything, give him couple seconds to see which way it goes and if gets up and starts running- shoot him again. At this point the attacker reaching the officer is very very unlikely either way. Shoot target again when down is only really prudent if you know or think there is body armor involved and you have the chance of hitting a body part that you know has no armor.

Again, this is my read of the situation and I shared it with the forum. I readily admitted that I might be wrong.

One more thing- my statement about preservation of life was not towards letting this guy live, but more towards the well- being of the officer. Once you kill somebody in the line of duty- this stays with your for the rest of your life with always negative consequences. You either get over it and become trigger happy, or you become trigger- averse. In both cases you have a high chance of becoming a liability the next time a decisive action is required.

... And my statement about hating yourself in the mirror was not directed to you :)

Last edited:
During my LE years, it was always suggested that being a competitive shooter would go against you in a civil case. You know... the old "This officer is an expert, and could have clearly shot the deceased in the leg" line.

Because training records could be subpoena'd, we didn't market scores on them, just pass/fail at the appropriate level. Targets went straight into the burn barrel as soon as scores were recorded.

We all compared scores for bragging rights, of course... but didn't publish them anywhere.

And yes, she was one of Tarran's instagram gun bunnies.

As a current FI and use of force instructor, please, PLEASE, PLEASE, find me one case where that argument was used. I've 'heard' it for 20 years, no one has ever produced.

This is true and unfortunately has many facets to it.

Everybody these days is wound up tight and everyone on both sides of it are getting jumpy and scared, I think unfortunately that’s leading to some of this shit happening.

Folks have seen and heard on the news over the last few years of home invasions being prefaced by people at the door saying “it’s the police” and even wearing some kind of thrown together uniforms in many cases to fool them thru windows or peepholes.

Folks are wound up tight because of all this rioting and burning and 24/7 news cycles of fear and blood being pushed. They’re frightened that it’s going to come to their doors and are arming themselves more and more, but sadly maybe not training themselves on a lot of the ‘what if’s’.

Cops are being ambushed left and right for the last few years now also, a lot of those incidents being prefaced with general calls for service and when they show up they’re met with rifle fire from the dark road or woods across the street or even right thru the front door and being killed or badly wounded.

So to counter that a lot of them are killing their blue lights that would normally be seen flashing thru your windows or curtains when they arrive and rolling up dark to look around first (we used to call it ‘SELLS’ (SLLS) in the military), a quick all around environmental check during a pause in movement (Stop/Look/Listen and Smell) trying to be more stealthy so they don’t get killed in an ambush. And then sadly when someone does innocently open the door in the dark and is holding a weapon things go south quickly. Perfect storm type of thing.

Not saying it’s right, not by any means, just voicing why I think it happens that way sometimes. It’s the ambush (home invasion) protection mindset of the homeowner vs the counter ambush assault by the cops on the porch who now think they’ve been set up to get killed.

I don’t have any answers right now on how to go about fixing this mess we’re all in and I won’t BS you and pretend I do. I’m sure there are ways to work around it and keep everyone calm and safe, but just right now I got nothing but tired eyes.

Back
Top Bottom