LAPD 'top shot' officer sued for shooting, killing man who advanced with a 'box cutter'

Reptile

NES Member
The lawsuit was filed on behalf of the victim's 14-year-old daughter
An LAPD ‘top shot’ who had become somewhat of a social media darling is facing a lawsuit after she fatally shot a man who appeared to advance towards her with a knife.

Toni McBride, 23, shot and killed Daniel Hernandez, 38 on April 22. A lawsuit was filed on behalf of Hernandez’s 14-year-old daughter, claiming that McBride had “reckless, violent and homicidal propensities,” the Daily Mail reported.

As a member of the Newton Division in South Central Los Angeles, McBride and her partner responded to a multiple-vehicle collision, with a suspect carrying a “folding utility-type knife” confronting her and ignoring commands to drop the weapon, the LAPD report stated. McBride shot four times and killed the suspect, later identified as Hernandez.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=q4SWYSzA1eE&feature=emb_logo

Damn, Toni is a good shot!

During my LE years, it was always suggested that being a competitive shooter would go against you in a civil case. You know... the old "This officer is an expert, and could have clearly shot the deceased in the leg" line.

Because training records could be subpoena'd, we didn't market scores on them, just pass/fail at the appropriate level. Targets went straight into the burn barrel as soon as scores were recorded.

We all compared scores for bragging rights, of course... but didn't publish them anywhere.

And yes, she was one of Tarran's instagram gun bunnies.

Looked like a pretty hostile environment environment to begin with. She’s got a set on her even getting out of the cruiser.

I believe she was a babe featured in the Blue Press recently (Dillon's monthly mag).

She seemed to do everything right, including asking the other officer if they had less lethal weapons in the car. That guy looked like one of the superfast zombies from World War Z. I wouldn't let him get any closer.

She may be done in that career, but her chances of going far in the private training sector just got confirmed.

I don't think her LAPD career is in danger. She'll probably get a ton of support from fellow cops.

Completely different story from Floyd, Gray etc - she did nothing wrong, guy was on meth, had a knife, not one round missed the target. Perfect shoot.

She seemed to do everything right, including asking the other officer if they had less lethal weapons in the car. That guy looked like one of the superfast zombies from World War Z. I wouldn't let him get any closer.

I thought that was pure CYA theater for the body camera. I dunno, I did not see what y'all saw. To any one of the bystanders milling around that would have looked like the popo rolled up and almost immediately capped one of the victims of the motor vehicle accident. She looked like a narcissist in a blue uniform itching to demonstrate her 15 yard shooting skills to me. I doubt the man who was shot heard a single word she said....in English. That dude did clearly want to die at that moment though.

Here's the suicidal perp with his deadly boxcutter. I would not assume this case will be a slam dunk for the LEO.

Boxcutter.PNG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom