LadyWoods Game Preserve

Has anyone hunted here before? I'm hoping to get some experience
hunting pheasants over dogs and this seemed like a good way to
get that locally. Since they are booking up for the year I was hoping
to get some input. Is anyone else interested in creating a small party
to book a half day?

F

Three person Group maximum....

$20 a bird... $50 extra to take a dog, $10 for the preserve license.

It's going to be an expensive day.

Last edited:
My thinking is split 4 ways, 3 birds each, split dog fee, comes
to ~$75/each plus license fees if you don't have a hunting
license. So call it an even 100 when you include a tip and gas.
The thing is, a trip to Kansas or South Dakota will set me back
waaay more. So if you want to learn to hunt pheasant, especially over a dog,
it costs a bit (plus pheasant costs about $15/bird in the grocery stores [grin] )

F

I meant 3 person max group size.

Is there certain time slots? I see the have 8am's and 1pm's booked all of Sept.

I don't mind paying $100 for a good day of bird hunting with friends. I just wanted
to make people aware that it isnt a cheap day.

The good thing is we should be able to do a bird exchange when we leave and not
have to clean them... [wink]

Check into Markover in the northeast part of Conn. I have not been in a couple of seasons but it is a nice place and their prices are reasonable. They do a tower shoot there that is well worth the money if you want birds or training for your dog. Sorry no link but they are in Danielson and their number is: 860-774-4116.

That's the whole plan! I can chase raised birds in the WMA's without a
dog for free (if they actually ever release the quantity they claim to,
VERY debatable.)

F

There is no way they release the numbers they say they do. No chance in hell. I wish there was a way we could audit the process...

I think half of the birds are going to somebody's friends game farm for a nice price....

Last edited:
I was just curious if you guys ever went and if you did how it was?. I remembered reading that a plan was in the works when I stumbled across their web site this morning. The site says they hunt thru the end of March and have a few dates still open, one or two that I may be interested in.

I really wanted to go, but some things went screwy on my end. Now that
life may be back to normal, I wish I had booked something while their dogs were
still available.

F

Ladywoods

I ve hunted there not a bad place, they are out of Pheasants for the season , bur have huns, and some other breed that escapes me right now.
They will cost you less.

Seaneen

I was there about two or three years ago. Can't say it was a great time, I was by myself, and I used their dog. Which, by the way was either sick with a cold, or near blind, or both. Of the eight birds I shot at, all but two of them was kicked up by me or the guide. Good thing he remembered where he seeded them. The dog had a real hard time getting on the birds.

I guess it would be good training for a young dog. Seeing how most of the birds were still where the guide put them. Can't really complain too much, I paid for eight birds. I shot and brought home seven.

But bring a good selection of chokes. I didn't, my mistake. When I talked to them on the phone, I asked how wide open the hunting was and how long the average shot would be. I was told it was pretty wide open, and about 40-50 yards. When I got there my longest shot was twenty yards in thick woods. Talk about hitting the birds hard, a few didn't have to many feathers left. It did look like they had some open fields, but my birds were in the thick stuff.

I guess I would go back, if I had a good dog, and a couple of other shooters. But if that were the case, I'd hunt one of the many WMA near me.

Just my .02
Kurt

I have hunted there at least once a year for the past 5 years. I've always had a great time there, they are very nice, great dogs, overall good time. Most times I go, I get all the birds I paid for or very close to it. The shots are very close, I've never used anything more than an IC choke with 6 or 7 shot 2 3/4. They have pheasant and chukkar.

I have hunted there on several occasions and have enjoyed the experience. It is kind of pricey, but I think well worth it.

Another place I would highly recommend is Wilderness Adventures - http://www.wildernessadventureshunt.com/

Finally, you would also want to consider Addieville East Farms - http://www.addieville.com/ In addition to great hunting, they also offer great sporting clays shooting. You do not need to be a member to shoot here, but they do give priority when scheduling to members.

None are inexpensive, but to really get into quality hunting here in New England I think you need to consider going north several hours (meaning hotel rooms, meals, etc.) so the cost is somewhat of a wash.

Hunted there once a couple of years ago for chukkar. It was my first experience with farm-raised birds and I have to say I was disappointed. There is something about having to kick a bush to get a bird to fly so you can blast it at 20 yds that just didn't feel like hunting to me. The guys that ran the place were very pleasant, nice hunting areas but just not my cup of tea.

Hunted there once a couple of years ago for chukkar. It was my first experience with farm-raised birds and I have to say I was disappointed. There is something about having to kick a bush to get a bird to fly so you can blast it at 20 yds that just didn't feel like hunting to me. The guys that ran the place were very pleasant, nice hunting areas but just not my cup of tea.

Unless you're hunting South Dakota, any birds you hunt in Ma are "farm raised". The only difference is they've been released from thier pen a little longer. I know at Ladywoods, they "dizzy" the bird a little when they stick them in so they stay put instead of having them run for a mile.

Hunted there yesterday. The folks that own/run are very nice. Just a warning for people that bring their own dog, there is alot of hearty/rigid brush throughout and my springer is hospitilized right now due to a three inch pucture wound in her abdomen from "something". I didnt find it till i got home and noticed someting wasn't right with her so we brought her to the vets for an emergency visit. $1300.00 later I could say it was an expensive hunt. I do plan on returning next year and would recommend it to anyone looking for a place to themselves for a few hours. I paid for eight chukars and only bagged one. My dog did flush four but due to my poor shooting skills I ony bagged one.

Awww. Poor pup. [sad] Hope the recovery is smooth and fast.

Adam and I were just up there a week ago. It was my first time upland hunting and we had a great time - the people there are very nice and made sure we had a good afternoon. We got 8/10 of our paid for birds (one was running and try as she might the dog just couldn't flush it) and spent a good amount of time trying to get a shot at some of the escaped pheasants but they were flushing well before we were in range in the woods. Very pleased and would recommend them to anyone out there who is interested. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom