Kydex Holsters compared...

Let me start by admitting I'm not a huge fan of kydex holsters as a rule, and prefer leather. The major reason for that is, leather conceals better and is more comfortable, at least for me. I have tried most of the major brands, but not all of course. I do use them for IDPA as they draw so fast, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about Kydex. However, Comp-tac has (finally!) altered my opinion of that.

For example, Blade-Tech is a very popular kydex holster. I got one, and didn't like it for the same reasons mentioned above regarding kydex holsters in general. Note: I am only talking about belt slides here, not IWB. I don't do IWB, so have no comments there.

Recently I purchased a Comp-Tac holster. Why? I was so impressed with their mag holders, flash light holder, and pepper spray holder, I thought perhaps these guys actually might make a kydex I like...and they do!

Comparing the two brands, the retention design just seems better in the comp-tac, the general construction better, but most importantly, the comp-tac does something I have seen no other kydex do that usually only leather can in my experience, and that's mold to the curve of your body. This makes a huge difference in comfort and concealment without any negative impact on draw speeds.

Personally, I have not tried all belt slide kydex holsters, but I have tried many, and none had that molded shape that fits your body so well as the comp-tac does. If there are brands that also accomplish that, by all means, list them!

To the left is the Bladetech belt slide, which looks like every other kydex belt slide, and the right, the Comp-tac. Makes a big difference in comfort and concealment:

Holsters.jpg

Comp-tac gets an A+ from me on their design of this belt slide Kydex holster and their other products are great too BTW.

Thank you for reveiw the Will Brink. I am awaiting the arrival of a kydex for my M&P compact, and intend to compete IDPA very soon. These (Kydex)were recommended by another NES-er, but I certainly will look at the Comp-tac.

The problem with anything, the technology just gets better and better, and it is hard to keep up with it all, so I do appreciate all these reveiws.

Well, if I end up purchasing a Springfield 1911, I may very well be looking at another holster anyway!![grin]

Thank you for reveiw the Will Brink. I am awaiting the arrival of a kydex for my M&P compact, and intend to compete IDPA very soon. These (Kydex)were recommended by another NES-er, but I certainly will look at the Comp-tac.

The problem with anything, the technology just gets better and better, and it is hard to keep up with it all, so I do appreciate all these reveiws.

Well, if I end up purchasing a Springfield 1911, I may very well be looking at another holster anyway!![grin]

I have an MTAC for my beretta 92FS and just bought a spare body for the M&P compact so I can basically use the same holster for two different guns. Haven't had a chance to swap out and see how it works yet. The MTAC is great though (hybrid of Kydex and leather).

I use Comp-Tec quite a bit and agree with you (as do others that I've pointed them to). One other thing about them is their service is great and the prices are decent.

Don't forget the smarties too. Almost all of my holsters are from comp-tac. I've had such great luck with them, I don't many reasons to try anything else.

Don't forget the smarties too. Almost all of my holsters are from comp-tac. I've had such great luck with them, I don't many reasons to try anything else.

haha, smarties.

Yeah, I bought the comp-tac pistol belt, IDPA belt holster and the twin mag holder. I can't say enough good things about them.

Got the Galco M5X MATRIX for my Sig P220. Love it. The kydex looks like leather and I find the paddle holster holds the gun against my side tighter and is easier to conceal. Retention is adjustable.

2wn9zis.jpg

2wg83zn.jpg

2pzi5vd.jpg

I have an MTAC as well. I just picked up a second body for my XD Compact 45... Now I can carry the G30 or the XD and they carry almost identically. The bodies can be a bit tricky to swap out... getting the screws to catch and all; but it can be done and makes for a nice, affordable way to carry various guns. BIG A+ in my book!

Got the Galco M5X MATRIX for my Sig P220. Love it. The kydex looks like leather and I find the paddle holster holds the gun against my side tighter and is easier to conceal. Retention is adjustable.

I love the photography on these Xak! The black and white look with a hint of color - very nice!

Thanx! Those are all full color photos, though.[smile]

The only things in the photo that literally aren't black or silver are the copper jackets. If I had a slightly rearward view or top view of the pistol you would see the green in the TruGlo TFO night sights.

Back
Top Bottom