Kudos to Boy’s Life Magazine

Koolmoose

NES Member
Other side of the bridges behind the iron curtain
I was in the dermatologist office for my quarterly skin cancer check, and there was a recent edition of Boys Life Magazine. On the inside of the front cover was an add for Savage rifles. Good for them! There use to be adds for the Savage 410 / 22 O/U in the classifieds in the back of the magazine in the 1960’s. I’ve always wanted one of those guns.

Do any of you folks have fond memories of Boy’s Life Magazine?

Boys-Life-Nuns-Life-closeup.jpg

Boys Life is still doing great. My sons finished Scouts a couple years ago and I miss the magazine. It has been pretty impervious to all the modern liberal crap we get bombarded with in the media. Lots of corney jokes for the World's Worst Joke Thread too.

Boy Scouts hasn't changed in the 45 years since I was in. They still have all the good merit badges like riflery, shotguns, archery, life-saving, survival (sleep in a shelter you made). They added some new technology oriented merit badges, but staying up with the times is expected. I'm sure 75 years ago they probably had one for tanning hides that has since been dropped. They do NOT have any social justice oriented ones.

The kids carry knives and swing axes all weekend on the campouts where they eat their own terrible cooking, sleep in tents in the rain and sometimes snow. This business of allowing gays in has had zero impact(few of this small percentage of people want in, and those that do are going people). We'll see about girls, but since they need to start young it will take years before we know what that's done.

Last edited:
I used to look forward to the next issue of BL every month.
Good fiction, ads for .22's (Let's get our guns and ride our bikes to the pond to shoot snapping turtles, so they don't eat the baby ducks!)
A whole page of stupid jokes, Scouts in action (Johnny saves his Dad's life after a chainsaw accident).
What more could a 12 year old boy ask for?

Is one of those new badges safe sex/contraception? You know, to keep up with the times.
Probably now covered in the Public Health or Family Life badges. Actually, I remember my Scout Handbook from the 1970s talking about what a boy goes through at that age (endless fapping, etc).
I just scanned the list and there are a couple that an old geezer migh question: American Cultures and Disabilities Awareness. I looked at the requirements for American Cultures and it seems pretty in-corrupted with social justice junk.

Some new ones since I was a kid:
Animation
Composite materials
Digital Technology
Game Design
Geocaching
Inventing
Movie Making
Robotics
Space Exploration

But don't worry. All the good old ones are still there, including:
Archery