Korean Victory SA80 vs HK High-Reliability AR Mags (a review)

Not too long ago I got an e-mail from Botach Tactical advertising the "Victory SA80 5.56mm 30rd Magazine." It is marketed as a clone of the HK SA80 High Reliablity mag. Since the Victory is selling at the stupid-cheap price of $6.95 ea, and the HK's are ~$40 ea, I thought I'd pick up a "covey" (10) and see what they're all about. Figure five for long term and five to put into the normal rotation. For $7 a mag, how far wrong can I go? I borrowed a few HK SA80's from a friend for a head-to-head comparison.

First, the Victory ad copy:
The Victory SA80 Magazines is identical to the famous HK Heckler & Koch SA80 Magazine in all its features.

The High-Reliability 30-Round Steel Magazine is designed for use in any M16/M4/AR15 style rifle, and any weapon that utilizes this NATO-standard magazine. The 30-Round Steel Magazine features a well executed design, select materials, special antifriction surface finish, advanced spring material, attention to production tolerances and steel magazine housing and follower. This magazine features a proprietary Corrosion- Resistant coating.

Each magazine is individually sealed in a military type long term storage bag.

Victory 5.56mm 30 Round Magazine

* HK SA80 Style Corrosion-Resistant Finish
* HK SA80 Style Anti-Tilt Follower
* HK SA80 Style Base Plate
* HK SA80 Style Steel Body
* Length: 7.48 inches
* Width: .94 inches
* Height: 2.56 inches
* Weight: 8.7oz
* Capacity: 30-Round
I've always had good luck with Botach (unlike many others), and the mags arrived promptly. About a week from the left coast.

The mags come in a nice sealed bag, designed for long term storage. The bag is made of plasticized paper.

mjwfon.jpg

Physically, the mags look identical.

6favb8.jpg

f5st3.jpg

Look very closely at the two followers (HK top). More on that later.

iz0y6h.jpg

Markings on the Victory:

nydw1x.jpg

And the HK:

ivuv81.jpg

Baseplates are the same, albeit with slightly different markings:

2hwe2hd.jpg

Victory mag specs say 8.7oz, but my scale says less:

14ue6tz.jpg

HK mag comes in at slightly more, but not worth mentioning:

2ufwn4k.jpg

In terms of finish, both mags boast a special anti-friction surface coating. At first blush, they feel exactly alike. In a totally unscientific test, I took two of one brand and one of the other, and then handed them so a blindfolded volunteer. I said, "One of these things is not like the other. Which?" I did it with 2 HK's and one Victory and vice versa. Neither of my two test subjects could identify the odd man out. Unscientific conclusion: seems to be a similar coating.

Both magazines break down the same way, and both have identical floorplates. Interestingly, the Victory mag spring is longer:

330sbkk.jpg

Followers are identical, and mimic the Magpul-ish non-tilt design. When you look closely at the two followers, you start to see some differences in terms of build quality. Note the thickness of the legs on the HK follower (left) compared to the Victory (right), as well as the cruder casting flash on the Victory follower.

k3pxj4.jpg

HK:

otp7p4.jpg

Victory:

2wlvw1s.jpg

A look at the other side show the same flashing, and note the spring in the HK mag is thicker.

se60xl.jpg

Despite the "flash," the Victory followers felt smooth and slick in the mag body.

Both the Victory and HK mags locked securely into my AR lowers (Bushie, Delaware Machinery, Double-Star), and dropped free.

Quick trip the range for a live-fire test to see if the Victory mags fed. (I didn't bother shooting the HK's, as I have every expectation they would feed without problem, and I wasn't testing those, anyway.) I peeled three mags out of the bag for an admittedly rushed, low-sample-size, low-rounds-count test, but I was a bit short on time today, and it was freakin' cold. 180 rounds of M193 (Canadian IVI) as fast as I could pull the trigger revealed no malfunctions of any kind, even with my not-fully-milspec-so-it-must-suck AR.

Conclusion: If you're looking for a "high reliability" stainless mag, at just $7 a mag, the Victory mags represent a pretty smokin' deal compared to the HK SA80's. They appear identical to the HK's in pretty much every way, and although the follower looked a bit rougher when you get up close, it's Teflon-impregnated plastic and still slides smoothly It didn't seem to affect the function (although it was hardly a long-term or high-rounds-count test). Since I'm not headed to Iraq or Afghanistan, or planning for life in a a post-Apocalypse America, at a 6:1 cost ratio over the HK's, and even cheaper than AL USGI's, they represent a pretty good bargain.

Scott,
Great job on that review, I'll second Mike. Hey, I just picked up 6 Victory 30 rd 9mm and 40S&W mags for my KelTec sub 2000's and I have to say for the money, you cannot go wrong. They work great, no feeding issues and not bad to load, as easy if not a little easier than my Glock Mags. I am ordering more for other guns.

Screw your review. Those HK mags are used by all the Delta SEAL airborne black ops ninja operators! That's why they cost more. Plus they look really cool on Rainbow Six.[smile]

That follower is plastic? Seems strange considering the cuts that are placed at the turn down to the legs. Makes it look more like a piece of sheet metal that was stamped, the legs were then bent down at the cuts and then the whole thing was coated.

That follower is plastic? Seems strange considering the cuts that are placed at the turn down to the legs. Makes it look more like a piece of sheet metal that was stamped, the legs were then bent down at the cuts and then the whole thing was coated.

Great eye. Based on your comment, I went back and took another look at the followers. Because of their shape and the "slickness" of the coating, I thought these were molded Nylon followers, a la Magpul. Even after going back and reexamining them, they still looked and felt like Nylon, and I finally had to prove it to myself with a magnet. They are both (HK and Victory) in fact stamped steel followers. Under a magnifying glass, what I thought was casting flash is in fact the stamped edge of the material.

I was just sitting here browsing the forum when MrsTwigg looks up and says to me, "The UPS truck is here, what did you buy now? ".

Busted. [thinking] [laugh]

I had been watching my E-mail for a confirmation of the order I placed for these mags, evidently BOTACH TATICAL dosen't send one. They didn't charge my card until Wednesday so I was starting to wonder when I'd be receiving my new mags.

That's what was on the truck. [smile]
Fit & finish is as described. I am not dissapointed.

I was just sitting here browsing the forum when MrsTwigg looks up and says to me, "The UPS truck is here, what did you buy now? ".

Busted. [thinking] [laugh]

I had been watching my E-mail for a confirmation of the order I placed for these mags, evidently BOTACH TATICAL dosen't send one. They didn't charge my card until Wednesday so I was starting to wonder when I'd be receiving my new mags.

That's what was on the truck. [smile]
Fit & finish is as described. I am not dissapointed.

I recently had this happen, as well. I got the "your order has shipped" email from a company like 3 hours before brown showed up [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom