Knife Forum on NES?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Another knife enthusiast here. For sharpening I freehand on a DMT 3x8 C/F bench duo sharp stone and strop on a Flex Strop to finish. My most-used knives are ESEEs, but I'm partial to the quality multitool and my Sebenza 25. Glad to see a forum here.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like an excellent setup scyllint. Do you ever strop an edge to finish?
I just run the blade over the honing steel.
I am not an expert by any means, but from what I understand and have been told, this (microscopically?) straightens the edge of the blade which makes it better able to cut (sharper) and is the same idea as using a stropping leather, but leather is used for straight razors over steel because they have a finer blade and a steel would be too much. Although you can still strop regular blades.
In my experience running my knives over the honing steel, in between sharpenings, on a regular basis seems to make a big difference in how they cut.
A good description I read online once was that with use, the blade eventually starts to flop over one way or the other like an old mohawk and running it over a honing steel or strop straightens it back up up so it can cut more efficiently again.

One thing im not sure of is if that final step is even necessary when using a super fine stone like the 6000 grit sharpening stone im using.

Last edited:

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Wow. So many great posts and Posters.
Fantastic photos and stories too.
This has far exceeded what I thought it could be.
It is also nice to see the Class that contributors to this forum possess and express.
A heartfelt thanks to all of you...

~Matt

Top Bottom