Knife build

warwickben

bubba Kalashnikov
First off, I was not sure if this belongs in the build it your self or off topic. I figured I'm making a "weapon" so it fits cool , if not guess it can be moved.

After reading Boris shovel ak build I basically felt less of a man and needed to build some thing.

I happen to walk in to woodcraft today, with a buddy that was on the hunt for a Cnc router table. I kept telling telling him they wouldn't have one.

Then I saw the pre made knife blade section, And below was a box of wood blanks.

I picked out a "damascus steel" knife blade. Not 100% sure if its real or not but it was 10x the amount of regular blade my buddy bought . 40$
Also picked up two bubinga blanks 5$.
I like this wood for basses that I make . I didn't feel like chopping up the wood I had cause I think I'm gonna karma some of it away soon.

So this is what I started with.
uzesu2uj.jpg

4y8a7apy.jpg

Fist step was laying out the holes for the screws.
e2y2ene9.jpg

u2ysyha6.jpg

Then I measured the hard ware.
pytu8eba.jpg

y6yvu9ad.jpg

I drilled the holes for the main screw part. Then found a end mill that was a hair over the size of the head of the screw so they'd sit flat in the holes.

I forgot to take pics of those steps.
I just measured the thickness of the wood and blade . Then minus the distance from the bottom of screws . Divide that in half so I new how much to drill down with the end mill.

Bolted it up , then went to town rough cutting it with a coping saw. Then stuck a weird sanding drum attachment I have in my drill press and removed wood till I got close to the metal in the handle .

yqatemer.jpg

About a hour later with a 1 in strip of 80 grit sand paper I got most of the shaping done. I stepped on one end of the 4 ft length and just ran the Handel up and down the sand paper. I was holding the blade wrapped in a rag so I wouldn't cut my fingers. I applied enough pressure so it would wrap around giving a nice rounded edge.

Well it was getting dark out side so I stopped at this point.
yhyzagy3.jpg

buqahude.jpg

I'll finish up the rest of the shaping tomorrow, then do A finale sanding and coat it with tung oil, or bee's wax and steel wool....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom