Kittery Trading Post

This weekend was a special event. Check the website for these events that will bring in big crowds.

KTP will transfer any firearm over two hundred dollars to their NH office. They will transfer least expensive than that if you are willing to wait for another transfer that is going over.

Not sure but I would thing that the NH SP would be dealing with a heavier load of NIC checks on weekends then during the week. I don't ever remember buying one other than midweek. I hate crowds...

Maybe my wife & child had something to do with it..

Could barely move around the store & as far as waiting around, sure.. normally I'd browse around & check out the merchandise, but it was crowded & my wife was breathing down my neck pestering me & my child started taking the usual whiny fit.. I went there to check out a couple rifles from their website.. good thing I went for a look because had I ordered online I would have been extremely unpleased with them.

I suppose I'll go someday during the week when it's slow.

Good to know about the NH office.. makes nice to pay no tax :)

I didn't think they would sell any of the firearms listed online. But I agree that I want to see them in person beforehand.

I was in the area today and stopped in as I'm bored....Not much in the way of crowds in the firearm's section. I can't go with my wife. Her tolerance for looking at firearms is about five minutes tops..

I didn't think they would sell any of the firearms listed online. But I agree that I want to see them in person beforehand.

I was in the area today and stopped in as I'm bored....Not much in the way of crowds in the firearm's section. I can't go with my wife. Her tolerance for looking at firearms is about five minutes tops..

That's when you leave her to browse through the rest of the store, and you check out the firearms.[wink]

Went down to KTP agian this Saturday. I had two revolvers on hold I was going to pick up (Ruger Bisley & Ruger Blackhawk). Walked in took a quick look through the long guns, breezed by the handguns to the used single action revovlers case. A few minutes later Peter, one of the asst. mgrs. was getting me paperwork. He's not the fastest and overly thorough, but nice guy to talk with while it's getting done. Had my confirmation back within 3 minutes I'd say and out the dor soon after. Whole transaction took less than 30 minutes from getting there to being all paid for.
Ok course I did linger afterwards to look at a few other possibles.

I use the trip to Wells,Maine as an excuse to stop at kittery trading post. I have gotten some good deals there in guns and fishing stuff too. Some stuff is priced high like the reloading stuff. You just have to know the prices.

On the way back from Canada last week we stopped off in a Gander Mountain store in upstate NY. Nice deisplay of handguns and long guns. Well stocked reloading items but the prices were high on components. Guns prices were decent.

Seems that in NH we have better deals all around.

Yet another trip to KTP, this one dedicated for reloading supplies, resulted in a great transaction. Found everything I needed but the No. 41 CCI primers which they had a subsitute for.

You should note that they have pretty much any powder/primer/dies/reloading supplies you need, they just can't put it all on display. Ask them for it at the reloading counter and they call down to the warehouse which has it at the checkout for you within 5 minutes.

While they do have a large warehouse with the powder and primers which aren't in the showroom, the pricing in much higher than Rileys. On top of that is the sales tax. I guess you pay for the new fancy building. However like many, I can't resist stopping in and usually wind up buying something.

One of the few areas they can supply that most can't is their Dillon supplies.

20.99 for powder is competitive with what I pay at my local stores, and their far wider selection of bullets and primers is a draw.

Depending on the powder, I just paid a little under $20 for a pound of Unique. 4895 was also under $20.00. Usually the deciding factor is what part of the state I'm in when I need the items. The travel time decides where I get the items.

I like KTP. Just got back today as a matter of fact. I like the people that work there- always knowledgable and helpful. I actually think their powder prices are good. I just picked up some Power Pistol and Blue Dot for $17.99/lb. I lot of stuff is pricy but like others have said... I usually leave with a bunch of stuff.

Today- I bought a S&W tee shirt.. and got a free S&W hat. I think S&W is making a push there.

One more thing... everytime I go there.. I drool over the 1911 selection... I don't even want to touch the Les Baers... it would depress me.

I was there the other weekend as I was up at our Maine office. I found that they have really gone up in price...but man, the new gun room is HUGE. And I did like it.

I did however end up coming home with that S&W screwdriver kit that Eddie bought from under me... LOL! And a bunch of plastic ammo boxes for my reloads.

There again last night to pick up another Blackhawk. grantd it was 8:00PM but there were still folks wandering around - some with poor handling display. (stupid punk kids) Anyways... waited for a minute and had a very nice genleman help me. He was one of the managres but forget what his name was - Bill perhaps. In and out in short order.
What could be god or bad depending on how you look at t - they recognize me now.

One more thing... everytime I go there.. I drool over the 1911 selection... I don't even want to touch the Les Baers... it would depress me.

Then look at a premium 1911 you CAN buy - SVI. As the first 1911 on the AFR, it is clearly Mass Compliant

Then look at a premium 1911 you CAN buy - SVI. As the first 1911 on the AFR, it is clearly Mass Compliant

I have... and I got one priced out as well. It was a bit more than the Les Baers... by a bunch. But I still have it on my list.

I for one liked KTP a lot better when it was a gun shop. I don't know what they are now, but the last 2 times I drove all the way up there they had NO black powder... I mean NONE. They didn't have the bullets I was looking for either. I think 2-3 times before I make that trip any more. The Gun Room in Shrewsbury is about as far the other way, and always has what I've been looking for, so if I have to make a hike...

Suggestion before any of us make a long hike to any shop . . . when we have a particular list of items to get.

Make a phone call before venturing out. Call and ask if they have it, price, and would they put it aside for you because you'll be coming from xxx miles away this day or tomorrow.

Can't hurt to try.

KTP

I don't know if the put aside would work that well as all of their powders and primers are stored in the wraehouse and brought up. If it remains in the computer I would say it would be subject to a sale.

It should be easy to tell if it is in stock as their entire inventory is right in front of them on the computer if they have the time to check. I doubt they would have that time on the weekend as it is usually swamped there.

I was there today and they had black powder. I'm not sure if the had all grades. I did see a guy going out with a dozen cans of FFg. I think all products are eligible for a seven day hold. They have held powder for me, they just keep it in the powder magazine. If someone tells you they can't hold something, ask to speak to a manager. I get most of my reloading supplies there. You can"t be the lowest on everything. When you factor in the price of gas and time running around I think it all averages out in the end.

Heading down again tommorrow to place another on lay-a-way for a week or so. Also gota grab some FFF and proberly a can of FF Pinnacle.

Went down this morning. Got there around 12:00. Bust but I went upstairs, did a quick look thorough the lever guns, single shots and a breeze throught the new lever gun rack, past the new Ruger revolver case and down to the sued gun corner. There as 10 or so ppl standing at the used auto-pistol case so i figured it was waiting a while. looked through the used Ruger revovlers and there was a clerk right there asking if I needed any help. Got my held revolver and within 5 minutes, I was at the register and on my way leaving a nice minty Bisley in .41 magnum behind me on lay-a-way. Never been in and out so fast before. I spent more time from the exit ramp to the store than I did actually in the store.

I have finally had it with this place...

I have been putting off writing this review for over a year now due to hoping that the bad experiences I've had in KTP were flukes or that the person I spoke to was "having a bad day", but after consistent bad customer service and combative attitudes, I'm all done.

My folks have a place in Maine, and everytime we visit them, I make a point of stopping at KTP on the way back. The first time I went in, it truly seemed to be the Valhalla of firearms: rows and rows of long arms, more pistols than all three of the Matrix movies, and tons of reloading gear. I'm thinking: "I have arrived!"

But each time I stop in, I realize more and more that this place is the living embodiment of that old addage: "Water water everywhere, but not a drop to drink", and that the pricing on new guns was quite a bit higher than a comparable Mass shop (on available models).

I say this due to the wealth of misinformation and uninformed staff that populate this place. For example:

On my previous visit, I was checking out a couple of used Walther G22 bullpup rifles (or at least attempting to), and was told by the uber-Fudd behind the counter "You can't have that in Mass. it's an assault weapon". I then attempted to have a polite, rational discussion with him that gun has no "evil" features and is perfectly legal in Mass (I didn't even ATTEMPT to explain the bullpup concept which excludes it from the ban anyways), and was met with a combative and dismissive attitude at best. This went on for 5 minutes or so, and then I left, utterly disgusted. It seems that the millisecond they find out you're from Mass, you are persona non grata in their store. I understand a company's reticence to have ANY kind of dealings with Mass where firearms are concerned, but the general attitude in the place is deplorable.

On my most recent visit, I was looking at the selection of Glocks, and when I asked the mouth-breather behind the counter about the long-slide 17 they had, he said indignantly "You can't have that, those are illegal in Mass." Once again, I took the bait and calmly attempted to explain that NO handguns are illegal to own in Mass, and that most (If not all) Glocks are perfectly legal to transfer (due to their inclusion on the EOPS list) and that the AG "list" is the only bottleneck. I knew I shouldn't have bothered to get into this conversation, given that I have no interest in having the gun transfered in, but it just goes up my ass sideways when these morons take the high-and-mighty approach AND say things that are completely wrong in the same breath. You can imagine how the rest of this conversation went.

I then went to ask another individual about a protective sock for an EoTech sight. Knowing that KTP has a fairly large optics selection, I figured they MIGHT have an idea of what I was asking for. As a disclaimer: Anyone on this board who has met me most likely knows me to be a concise, effective communicator with a solid grasp on the English language.

The guy's reply was: "The gun socks are over there" and then he tuned back to whatever he was doing. I explained to him that I was not looking for a gun sock but the little protective bootie-thing that slips over an EoTech....

Him: Blank hostile stare.

Me: ...

Him: (Looks at other shithead behind counter as if to say "What the f*** is this guy talking about?") ...

Me: (I have lost all patience by this point) You DO know what an EoTech sight is, don't you?

Him: Yup.

Me: Do you have the cover for it then?

Him: Nope.

This attitude has been pervasive throughout my "shopping" experience at KTP.

No more. All done. Bye-bye. [angry]

We will be down in Maine on vacation in a few weeks. Stopping at Kittery is a must even though over many years I've found service to be inconsistent. A couple of years ago after having made the rounds of the guns I walked past the knife case on the way out. I saw a Microtech folder that looked promising. The problem was one of price. Lets just say that even with a 1 added in front of the tagged price, the deal would have been tempting. I found a guy to help me and when I asked him if that was the right price he became offended as if I was stealing his kids milk money. He informed me that the price was the price. I bought it. After I left the register with purchase in hand I found him and asked if he had more for that price. Unfortunately not. I sure hope he has'nt retired yet.

Fooped, I would like more info about Glocks being perfectly transferable. I thought the problem was unless they were pre 98 or compliant, the dealer was prohibited from transfering them. Please explain, thanks.

There are hundreds of threads about Glocks in Massachusetts. Go do a search and do not clutter this thread which is for comments about KTP only.

Fooped, like you I go up to Maine a bunch... all year round. We've had GREAT service when my son bought his compound bow. I also think the guys at the ammo counter are pretty good too... although sometimes bogged down. I often buy powder and other reloading equipment there (Lee FCD, etc.). I often look around at the firearms and a few times looked at some HKs and Glocks... matter of fact one time the guys and I were laughing at MA laws together. He was saying that I can't have "these evil guns" in MA, etc, etc. So my experience hasn't been too bad at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom