• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kind of interesting, hiding in plain sight.

I watched a video on a guy who built a geodesic dome and covered it in sprayed-on concrete to make it look like a boulder. Once they sprinkled on some dirt and other stuff it looked pretty good. It wasn't invisible but it certainly didn't stand out either. I bet if you had some skills you could put together something pretty nice. Lugging concrete spraying equipment up into the Alps while remaining undetected might be tough.

That might be good to avoid discovery from the air. But anyone who happens to walk by it is going to notice. Few places are remote enough to avoid the random hunter strolling by.

Although, I wouldn't mind having the ability to disguise a cabin from the air. One of these days, I need to build a small cabin on the land we already own. From looking at the recent satellite images of it, it is clear any building is going to easily show up. And, I don't like that. I was wondering if it would be any use to paint a camo pattern on the metal roof, or drape some kind of camo over it, to make it not obvious that something is there. I'm guessing this'll be tricky to do.

Or bury it and have a hatch for an entrance, covered up with branches. I haven't thought of anything else that would avoid discovery that well. However, I don't want to vacation in a bunker. And, the initial building of it would still leave a trail since the excavator has to get through the woods somehow. Hunters will see that and follow to see where it goes.

That might be good to avoid discovery from the air. But anyone who happens to walk by it is going to notice. Few places are remote enough to avoid the random hunter strolling by.

I don't know, depending how good you are camouflaging it people could walk pretty close in and not think anything out of the ordinary like the North Pond Hermit did.

But what does it look in infrared (regular night vision) and thermal (FLIR)?

Both technologies are so cheap that any airplane or drone that's seriously doing searches would have these sensors.
Too bad there's no usable locations like that in the NE. Would be cool to build just for the heck of it.
Have to try and make one that looks like a stand of maples [thinking]
I have a couple of interesting & large boulders on my property, nothing quite THAT big... yet.

This is cool, but I feel like any really effective hide out is going to have to be actually underground, with really well masked air outtakes to avoid being visible to infrared.

Although, I wouldn't mind having the ability to disguise a cabin from the air. One of these days, I need to build a small cabin on the land we already own. From looking at the recent satellite images of it, it is clear any building is going to easily show up. And, I don't like that. I was wondering if it would be any use to paint a camo pattern on the metal roof, or drape some kind of camo over it, to make it not obvious that something is there. I'm guessing this'll be tricky to do.

I like the idea of a cammo pattern on a metal roof. We recently purchased 5 acres in central NH, and it seems that all the satellite photos of the property are taken in the winter. I would think that the local tax assessor would regularly monitor these images.

I like the idea of a cammo pattern on a metal roof. We recently purchased 5 acres in central NH, and it seems that all the satellite photos of the property are taken in the winter. I would think that the local tax assessor would regularly monitor these images.

In my case, I won't try to hide from the tax assessor. Once the thing is built, I will let them know. They will find out anyway.... Everyone knows everyone and people talk in a small town of 400.

Or bury it and have a hatch for an entrance, covered up with branches. I haven't thought of anything else that would avoid discovery that well. However, I don't want to vacation in a bunker. And, the initial building of it would still leave a trail since the excavator has to get through the woods somehow. Hunters will see that and follow to see where it goes.

What, you cannot afford a chopper?

What, you cannot afford a chopper?

No, but that would draw even more attention to myself. The whole town would know about the chopper making trips to my land. This past fall, there was a severe ATV crash in the woods nearby my land. They sent a chopper to lift the unfortunate folks out of there. Dozens of people showed up to watch them land on the bridge.

What will give you away more than anything is the beaten path to and from the thing, once you need to use it regularly

What will give you away more than anything is the beaten path to and from the thing, once you need to use it regularly

Yes, although there will not be much traffic. And my trails have this annoying habit of disappearing even though I am the one who made them and should know where they are. Many times we have accidentally taken wrong turns and had to ponder how to find the trail again. Leaves fall and cover stuff. Brush and tree branches grow back in. I even put in some clever turns that would result in anyone trying to follow them to keep heading straight into a pathless dead end area. And the old logging scars help too.... They left these overgrown paths all over the place for the logging trucks that are tempting to try to follow. Of course, the real paths only cross the logging paths and do not try to follow them.

Now if I could only get something successfully built without being seen, I should be in good shape. I have no actual plans though, just some crazy ideas to ponder maybe for someday.

Yes, although there will not be much traffic. And my trails have this annoying habit of disappearing even though I am the one who made them and should know where they are. Many times we have accidentally taken wrong turns and had to ponder how to find the trail again. Leaves fall and cover stuff. Brush and tree branches grow back in. I even put in some clever turns that would result in anyone trying to follow them to keep heading straight into a pathless dead end area. And the old logging scars help too.... They left these overgrown paths all over the place for the logging trucks that are tempting to try to follow. Of course, the real paths only cross the logging paths and do not try to follow them.

Now if I could only get something successfully built without being seen, I should be in good shape. I have no actual plans though, just some crazy ideas to ponder maybe for someday.

I wish I had enough land for this to be a problem for me.

I wish I had enough land for this to be a problem for me.

I don't know your finances, but it isn't difficult to find similar land for $500 to $600 an acre. Of course, you have to buy lots of it at once (no 2 acre lots for $1200 available). If I had to do it again, I'd probably stick to 20 acres and in NH so it'd be closer. It's actually quite a pain driving that far.

I don't know your finances, but it isn't difficult to find similar land for $500 to $600 an acre. Of course, you have to buy lots of it at once (no 2 acre lots for $1200 available). If I had to do it again, I'd probably stick to 20 acres and in NH so it'd be closer. It's actually quite a pain driving that far.

I'm currently working up the courage to move to America and buy a bunch of land. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to find a new job and move to an area where I don't know anyone. I'm already enough of a hermit as it is.

I'm currently working up the courage to move to America and buy a bunch of land. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to find a new job and move to an area where I don't know anyone. I'm already enough of a hermit as it is.

Oh, your Location said Berkshires so I figured you lived in western Massachusetts.

Well, there's plenty of opportunity here to either be a hermit, or make lots of friends and be part of a community. Or, alternate between the two.

Opposite approach here, I'm going to put out signs that say "Infectious Disease Quarantine & Hospice" in nine languages....

Both technologies are so cheap that any airplane or drone that's seriously doing searches would have them.
Snipers know how to defeat them, for example.

Last edited:
Oh, your Location said Berkshires so I figured you lived in western Massachusetts.

Well, there's plenty of opportunity here to either be a hermit, or make lots of friends and be part of a community. Or, alternate between the two.

I should have said "Real America". I do live in Western MA. [wink]

Both technologies are so cheap that any airplane or drone that's seriously doing searches would have these sensors.

In NVG's it won't be noticeable as long as it's light proof. If the concrete's thick enough it won't be that much different than the surrounding environment in thermal (note the proper nomenclature). But...modern thermal imagers such as FLIR's stuff can see temperature deltas of fractions of degrees, so you'd see it with those.

I should have said "Real America". I do live in Western MA. [wink]

You meant 'free America'.

Our land goes up to a ridge, and has similar logging trails from a previous pass. There are plenty of times if I didn't know 'down the mountain' was towards the road, I'd definitely be lost/off trail. Add snow and it's even worse. We're going to run the quads all over the trails this year and I am going to try and run a brush hog up them too....we'll see.

The last owner used to drag a log chained to his ATV to clear the trails. Yankee ingenuity.

Back
Top Bottom