Kind of interesting, hiding in plain sight.

You meant 'free America'.

Our land goes up to a ridge, and has similar logging trails from a previous pass. There are plenty of times if I didn't know 'down the mountain' was towards the road, I'd definitely be lost/off trail. Add snow and it's even worse. We're going to run the quads all over the trails this year and I am going to try and run a brush hog up them too....we'll see.

The last owner used to drag a log chained to his ATV to clear the trails. Yankee ingenuity.

Growing up in Maine on a dirt road that the town didn't care enough to maintain, we had a neighbor who would drag it with a huge section of chain link fence pulled by his steers.

You meant 'free America'.

Our land goes up to a ridge, and has similar logging trails from a previous pass. There are plenty of times if I didn't know 'down the mountain' was towards the road, I'd definitely be lost/off trail. Add snow and it's even worse. We're going to run the quads all over the trails this year and I am going to try and run a brush hog up them too....we'll see.

The last owner used to drag a log chained to his ATV to clear the trails. Yankee ingenuity.

I wish I could fit an ATV through my trails.... They are wide enough for foot travel only, and go through some pretty rough places. I really want one but can't justify it yet (if I could clear trails with it, I would have one now).

I wish I could fit an ATV through my trails.... They are wide enough for foot travel only, and go through some pretty rough places. I really want one but can't justify it yet (if I could clear trails with it, I would have one now).

When clearing trails by hand, do yourself a favor and get one of these for small trees. I can't tell you how many times I've tripped or almost wrecked on my mountain bike over exposed stumps. The little ones are invisible and no matter how close to the ground you cut, they'll be exposed once the trail packs down. Sometimes you can just pull the whole tree and save a step.

They're not the only game in town, just an example: http://www.pullerbear.com/

When clearing trails by hand, do yourself a favor and get one of these for small trees. I can't tell you how many times I've tripped or almost wrecked on my mountain bike over exposed stumps. The little ones are invisible and no matter how close to the ground you cut, they'll be exposed once the trail packs down. Sometimes you can just pull the whole tree and save a step.

They're not the only game in town, just an example: http://www.pullerbear.com/

I do have that problem, and good idea to remove them. Thanks, I didn't know about that product. My current approach has just been to walk carefully, but that'll only work until it doesn't.

If you want to build a shed/house and hide it from the air - do a sod roof. Alaska has them, build a sturdy roof, cover with multiple layers of water proof material and put 6" of dirt on it, grow some grass and shrubs up there and you are gtg.

I do have that problem, and good idea to remove them. Thanks, I didn't know about that product. My current approach has just been to walk carefully, but that'll only work until it doesn't.

The one thing I wonder about is erosion. On a hill the roots might help keep the ground stable.

Back
Top Bottom