Kimber: User info.

Doing some research on Kimber's. Looking for info/input on all the pertinent questions on the 3 inchers (or so).

Specifically: Ultra Ten II (the polymer frame ones)
Ultra Carry II
Ultra II
and finally: Tactical pro II

I already checked out various websites on tech-spec's and schtuff, now i'm looking for those of you that have owned/shot them. And what should I be looking for in terms of sizes. I'm not adverse to the "mid-sized" ones either(I carry a USP .45 Compact now and it's comparable in size to Kimber's middie's).

It will be an everyday carry piece, once I feel comfortable w/ it(and break it in, of course!)

Also, how is dealing with customer service?

Any info/stories/anecdotes on those issues would serve to help.

Thanks in advance!

Doing some research on Kimber's. Looking for info/input on all the pertinent questions on the 3 inchers (or so).

Specifically: Ultra Ten II (the polymer frame ones)
Ultra Carry II
Ultra II
and finally: Tactical pro II

I already checked out various websites on tech-spec's and schtuff, now i'm looking for those of you that have owned/shot them. And what should I be looking for in terms of sizes. I'm not adverse to the "mid-sized" ones either(I carry a USP .45 Compact now and it's comparable in size to Kimber's middie's).

It will be an everyday carry piece, once I feel comfortable w/ it(and break it in, of course!)

Also, how is dealing with customer service?

Any info/stories/anecdotes on those issues would serve to help.

Thanks in advance!

I'm assuming you aren't from MA or you are a MA LEO because Kimbers are very difficult to get in MA.

My brother Hanwei and I both have Kimbers.
Service has been excellent. They are out of Yonkers, NY so any shipping back/forth is very quick.

My Custom Pro Elite had very dim night sights and Kimber replaced them for free. When they saw my recoil spring assembly, they replaced the entire thing. I also sent them a check for some new grips and I miscalculated tax so that it was insufficient to cover the cost. They just gave them to me anyway and told me not to worry about the difference.

I've had great experience with them.

I wish they were legal to be sold in MA.

6luhc48.jpg

Last edited:
I might as well chime in too :)

the Kimber Elite Carry pictured above (one on the bottom) is mine. 4" barrel so it is a mid size Kimber. My experience with it has been phenomenal.

Reliable and accurate.

The reading I've done on many 1911 forums seems to show that the smaller Kimbers, ie: the Ultra Carry's, may need a longer break in period before being fully reliable as Kimbers are very tight new from the factory.

I bought mine used and it was obviously a shooter. The 500+ rounds I've put through it have been flawless. The few FTF's I did have were ammo related.

When I first got the Kimber my night sights were dim as well. So I emailed Dennis at Kimber and he had me send my slide back in to them. He replaced my night sights for free. He also gave me a new recoil spring for free. No questions asked. And if I remember correctly it only took 5 business days from the time I mailed it out until it was back in my hands.

If you live in MA... Kimbers are hard to find but they are around. You just have to keep an eye out for them. I've seen a couple of full size Kimbers in shops... but haven't seen any sub compact Ultras yet.

Check out Zero Hour Arms in Easton MA... That's where I've seen the Kimbers in the past.

Good luck!

Funny how the first Kimbers were machined by Smith & Wesson and we can'nt buy them in Ma. I ahve contacted Kimber several time and was told that they have no intention of going through the process at that time.

I've got three Series I Kimbers that have been quite reliable for me. That said, I've read that some folks have had problems with Series II Kimbers. Part of the issues concern the Schwarz-style firing pin safety.

In general, most people seem to recommend staying away from 3" 1911s. They seem to be more problematic than 4" 1911s. I'd go with a Kimber Compact model instead (I've got two of them) -- they are more reliable and have a better sight radius and better balance. You'll be using a holster anyways and the extra 1" of slide length isn't an issue for concealed carry.

If I were you, I'd look for a used 4" Series I Kimber instead of a new Series II.

Funny how the first Kimbers were machined by Smith & Wesson.

That is not quite correct. Kimber had S&W do the forging for the frame. That was the extent of S&W involvement. To say that S&W did the machining is a gross overstatement.

I previously had a Tac-Pro II that I was using for carry because I wanted a 4", the full sized grip and extented magwell made it less than ideal for me. I traded it for a Compact CDP II which I find much better for CCW. The 4" and smaller grip work better for me. It hasn't failed once after several hundred rounds of ball.

I might as well chime in too :)

the Kimber Elite Carry pictured above (one on the bottom) is mine. 4" barrel so it is a mid size Kimber. My experience with it has been phenomenal.

Reliable and accurate.

The reading I've done on many 1911 forums seems to show that the smaller Kimbers, ie: the Ultra Carry's, may need a longer break in period before being fully reliable as Kimbers are very tight new from the factory.

I bought mine used and it was obviously a shooter. The 500+ rounds I've put through it have been flawless. The few FTF's I did have were ammo related.

When I first got the Kimber my night sights were dim as well. So I emailed Dennis at Kimber and he had me send my slide back in to them. He replaced my night sights for free. He also gave me a new recoil spring for free. No questions asked. And if I remember correctly it only took 5 business days from the time I mailed it out until it was back in my hands.

If you live in MA... Kimbers are hard to find but they are around. You just have to keep an eye out for them. I've seen a couple of full size Kimbers in shops... but haven't seen any sub compact Ultras yet.

Check out Zero Hour Arms in Easton MA... That's where I've seen the Kimbers in the past.

Good luck!

Hanwei, how often do you go to MRA? I'd love to get a chance to compare the Kimber to my SW1911.

If I could choose between any of my 1911's for carry, I'd pick my S&W 1911PD. In my opinion it's more reliable than my Kimber. It's cheaper and I wouldnt' mind so much if it got banged around.

My Kimber is more of my type of safe queen. My S&W's are my shooters.

Here is what I'm comparing them to:

1z582lx.jpg

2qtzb78.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0140_FuzzyBorder.jpg

I just picked up an Elite Carry last week. Where'd you find those grips, direct from Kimber?

Nice! Yup, they are the charcoal/ruby grips straight from Kimber. My brother found out after receiving his charcoal/ruby grips that the grips vary in shade. Some are lighter (mine) and some are darker (his). But they are some good lookin grips regardless :)

Those are the dark rosewood grips from Kimber.
I picked those up for my Pro Elite.

(They're actually the Charcoal/Ruby grips! [grin])

Hanwei, how often do you go to MRA? I'd love to get a chance to compare the Kimber to my SW1911.

Hey Paul... I try to get to MRA once a week... You're welcome to try out my Kimber anytime you like! I also have a S&W 1911PD you can try as well if you want!

Hanwei

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Hanwei & Underwhere. I'm going to have to pick those up for mine as well.

I assume they all come with the rubber finger grooves?

Funny how the first Kimbers were machined by Smith & Wesson and we can'nt buy them in Ma. I ahve contacted Kimber several time and was told that they have no intention of going through the process at that time.

Kimber's loss. Its products could easily pass the "safety tests" and its full-size models with target sights could probably qualify for the target roster. All that is needed is minimal effort needed to submit a competently prepared application (unlike that of the last applicant).

Personally, I don't like the slide styling on the SIS. IIRC, the SIS does not have the Schwarz style firing pin safety. I've been reading that a number of people have had problems with it.

If I was in a free state and looking for another 1911, I'd either go fully custom or look at Ed Brown or Wilson Combat.

Personally, I don't like the slide styling on the SIS. IIRC, the SIS does not have the Schwarz style firing pin safety. I've been reading that a number of people have had problems with it.

If I was in a free state and looking for another 1911, I'd either go fully custom or look at Ed Brown or Wilson Combat.

Why not get Greg Derr to make you one then?

I have NO problems with my Daily carried Pro Shadow. I have been carring it for 2 years now.. 300-400 rounds with out a hiccup!

I've put at least 3,000 rounds of WWB and Wolf through my Custom II without a single FTF or FTE. Not bad for a used gun that I got for a steal.

I have NO problems with my Daily carried Pro Shadow. I have been carring it for 2 years now.. 300-400 rounds with out a hiccup!

300-400 rounds in 2 years? I've had my SW1911 for a month and I think it has that much through it.

I was looking at Kimbers over the past several weeks - I also read in the Rifleman about the SIS family - very appealing. Any thoughts?

I have no experience with the SIS line of Kimbers... but a great forum with lots of information is: http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21

I personally like their look. If Kimbers were MA Compliant I'd probably pick on up for myself. (But that's true for a lot of guns!) [smile]

Back
Top Bottom