• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Killer Elite Porcupine Round- Update: Porky is Dead

Best gun to use is the one you like best at the moment. It isn’t a rhino where you need a heavy bullet, it’s a giant rat. Use what makes you smile, .22 or 30-06, repeat as necessary.

Nothing less than a Barret M107A1 will do for porcupine, skunk, or tree rats. I jokingly call it my squirrel rifle for a reason. You can't get charged on discharging a firearm if the target is reduced to a pink mist lol

12 gauge with 00 buckshot. Two shots. Because overkill is underrated.
Nail it right to the ground, then grab a rake and a shovel and make sure you get all of the quills or Scooby will get one in paw.

Funny thing though, Navy SERE training describes porcupines as the easiest meal in the woods. They teach you to walk up and rap them on the nose with a stout stick; dead pig
Beat me to it. Porcupine are the rats of the woods, but it would be a last resort for me.
Yep, the damn things are everywhere in the north woods. A buddy of mine lives in New Brunswick and there are so many that they can be a serious problem.

8 months later: Neighbor calls... Its back. Go up there. There it is. Shot it. It takes off for the brush. Shot at it 3 more times, hit it twice more. It made it to the thicket where I couldn't follow. I'm not a hunter (yet.) First living thing I've ever shot.... It made it back into the woods with 3 rounds of 9mm hollow point to the body.... Is that unusual? (Some will say I missed... I didn't... Quills went flying when it got hit.)

8 months later: Neighbor calls... Its back. Go up there. There it is. Shot it. It takes off for the brush. Shot at it 3 more times, hit it twice more. It made it to the thicket where I couldn't follow. I'm not a hunter (yet.) First living thing I've ever shot.... It made it back into the woods with 3 rounds of 9mm hollow point to the body.... Is that unusual? (Some will say I missed... I didn't... Quills went flying when it got hit.)
This is going to start a which caliber is better war.

Not unusual. Some animals can take a lot of bullets. Switch to the lightest hollow point you can find.

It's possible that you hit mostly quills (some of which are long and extend far out from the body), but no vital organs were damaged enough to stop it right away. If you got rounds into its actual body, it may be out there dying a slow death.

Was there any blood left behind?

It's all about location. I've seen trapped ground hogs take multiple 22LR to kill at close range and also seen one dropped instantly in a field with a single .22 air rifle pellet to the head from distance.

I've never gotten a porcupine, but I neutralized a size-large raccoon once with .455 Webley.

Took one round, but I used two.

Funny thing though, Navy SERE training describes porcupines as the easiest meal in the woods. They teach you to walk up and rap them on the nose with a stout stick; dead pig.
Back in the day, American Indians would never kill a porcupine, because they did not wander far, and when nothing else was around to eat, you could go back then and dispatch it, and save your family from starving. It was like meat in a fridge, but back before fridges existed.

It's all about location. I've seen trapped ground hogs take multiple 22LR to kill at close range and also seen one dropped instantly in a field with a single .22 air rifle pellet to the head from distance.
i agree, a ground hog is 2X harder to kill than a porker

one has been gnawing the siding on the camp in Maine. Never around when im up there.i put a bandaid on it bur dont want to spend any money replacing siding until its dead.heading up this week. Maybe ill get lucky.

Should've used a .45 - if it can win two world wars, it can vaporize a porcupine.

Ur options included a shovel, that honestly would have been the easiest way. They are slow lol

Back
Top Bottom