• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Killer Elite Porcupine Round- Update: Porky is Dead

Did obligatory search..... Negative.

Porcupine must die.

Options include .22LR, 9mm, 38, 357, 45, 223/556, 30-06, 12GA.......shovel.

Would like to dispatch him quickly/ cleanly. Do not want to follow him around shooting him repeatedly while he tries to waddle away in pain and fear.
Also don't want to have to clean up a bunch of guts and quills.

I'm not a hunter (Yet), so novice at shooting living creatures.

Don't need a suppressed air-rifle....Not suburban/ urban.... Populace and police do not shit themselves at sound of gunfire here.

Thoughts?

Trap and gas him

Large live trap, place in large cooler, remove drain cap, spray in ether starting fluid for 10 seconds, remove the next day
Drop off in back of nearest Asian restaurant, or prearrange for free meal.

Or,

Last edited:
Large live trap, place in large cooler, remove drain cap, spray in ether starting fluid for 10 seconds, remove the next day

Or,

I like the live trap under tarp with shop vac house connected to tailpipe. Quick painless sleep and then off to the local restaurant as you said [rofl]

Or,

Oh damn. My mom made PPMB a ton when I was a kid. Cooked them in an electric skillet on the counter. I bet she still has that circa-1968 skillet. Aluminuminum.

She'd make this other stuff - lazy day stew. Meatballs, canned veggies, some sort of sauce. Ooof.

As far as killer elite pork-a-pine, try this:

extreme-shock-ammunition.jpg

Having shot hundreds of Porcupines because they were destroying my fruit trees, I found they are very very hard to kill. The best results were using a .357 magnum with 110 grain "Super Vel" ammo. When the supplies of SuperVel dried up I started reloading Speer 110 grain with IMR 4756. This time of year they are usually in ledges near a Hemlock stand ( their winter food). They can be tracked. A rifle .222 and above will always work. I have tried 12 gauge with #6's without much success when high up in a Hemlock. Porky's are very tough and they will destroy a camp and even chew on an aluminum boat if there is residual salt from sweat anywhere on it.

Back in the day, Granny use to make porcupine meatballs, but she didn't use ground beef, she used porcupine.

Did obligatory search..... Negative.

Porcupine must die.

Options include .22LR, 9mm, 38, 357, 45, 223/556, 30-06, 12GA.......shovel.

Would like to dispatch him quickly/ cleanly. Do not want to follow him around shooting him repeatedly while he tries to waddle away in pain and fear.
Also don't want to have to clean up a bunch of guts and quills.

I'm not a hunter (Yet), so novice at shooting living creatures.

Don't need a suppressed air-rifle....Not suburban/ urban.... Populace and police do not shit themselves at sound of gunfire here.

Thoughts?
Porcupines are not aggressive and are gentle creatures. Why kill it? If it is not damaging your property or threatening your kids and pets, just use a Havahart-type trap to capture it alive and release it out in the woods several miles from your home.

Porcupines are not aggressive and are gentle creatures. Why kill it? If it is not damaging your property or threatening your kids and pets, just use a Havahart-type trap to capture it alive and release it out in the woods several miles from your home.

Illegal to do, big fine if caught.

OP, use the 30-06. Because reasons.

I have fought porcupines for years at camp. They will destroy a camp and leave their feces everywhere. They are rodents and its open season year round in Maine.
Tried everything from trapping etc....they keep coming. Best is to not have things they like.

You need larger than 9mm.

I have fought porcupines for years at camp. They will destroy a camp and leave their feces everywhere. They are rodents and its open season year round in Maine.
Tried everything from trapping etc....they keep coming. Best is to not have things they like.

You need larger than 9mm.
This, the more you keep the stuff varmint like and can get easy access to out of your area the better.
If theres not much of laws/regs restricting you use what ever is safe
The problem with shooting them is its tough to “see” the “body” so flesh wounds can be a problem.
If must kill it , trap and 22 to the nog’n

Having shot hundreds of Porcupines because they were destroying my fruit trees, I found they are very very hard to kill. The best results were using a .357 magnum with 110 grain "Super Vel" ammo. When the supplies of SuperVel dried up I started reloading Speer 110 grain with IMR 4756. This time of year they are usually in ledges near a Hemlock stand ( their winter food). They can be tracked. A rifle .222 and above will always work. I have tried 12 gauge with #6's without much success when high up in a Hemlock. Porky's are very tough and they will destroy a camp and even chew on an aluminum boat if there is residual salt from sweat anywhere on it.
This. Friggin stab-rabbits. I shoot several per year and find they are, pound for pound, the toughest creatures known to man. I used to shoot them with a 223 but found they waddle off. I watched a buddy shoot one in the face with his .45 and it waddled off. I think they are so light skinned/boned that the bullets go right through them without doing much damage.
My best weapon so far has been a .204 Ruger I won in a raffle. They don't waddle off with the 204; that light bullet at hyper-velocity literally explodes inside them.

Funny thing though, Navy SERE training describes porcupines as the easiest meal in the woods. They teach you to walk up and rap them on the nose with a stout stick; dead pig.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom