Kifaru Packs

Any body have any experience with Kifaru Int. packs? I've talked to a couple of ex military guys and they put me onto these, the prices seem a bit out there but maybe they're worth it. I'm looking specifically at the MMR or atleast that size. https://www.kifaru.net/MMR.html

Kifaru designs bomb-proof packs. However, because of their price I don't own any. For my purposes, a used Eagle A III patrol pack works just as good.
Blackhawk gear is not the most durable. Given the choice I would go with Maxpedition if they make something in your size. Also check the local REI they are having their $.83 sale and had large back packs available.

Kifaru makes bomb proof packs. The price is a little high, but if you are serious and want a pack that will take a beating and last longer than you, Kifaru is hard to beat. If you are looking for a pack for a day hike or you aren’t out doing crap for weeks on end it may not be in your best financial interest to spend the money on a Kiaru.

Then again I am just a gear whore and my opinion shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Personally, packs are one of those things I don't mind spending on. (Knives, flashlights and outerwear being the others). I know a few people who own Kifaru packs, and they are all extremely satisfied with it.

Don't forget, buy quality and you only cry once. That and, money ain't much good till you spend it, and Kifaru packs are up there in the "it's an investment" category.

Patrick Smith (CEO Kifaru) is a first rate inventor (he has thirteen patents) and a fine American. He started (and subsequently sold) the MountainSmith Backpack Company.

I've camped with him twice in the Adirondacks during the winter. Since only sells factory direct, this is one of the few ways to see his products. He brings products (shelters, stoves, clothing, packs, and sleeping bags) with him for people to see and test out. He listens and takes recommendations on how to improve his gear. I took one of the larger packs (I forget which model) loaded it up with firewood (to add weight) and went on a 45 minute snowshoe march.

I've used the medium and large ALICE packs, the LCS-88, the SF Elite, the USMC ILBE, the Kelty Cloud, and the MOLLE pack in cold weather, high altitude, mountainous areas. Although heavier, I would rate the comfort level of the Kifaru pack as "high" and comparable to the Kelty Cloud.

WRT the high prices Patrick has told me, "I use top of the line materials and take no shortcuts. Everything is made in America and I need to pay my (American) workers a decent wage. I could move my manufacturing overseas to save money, but I could not guarantee quality."

There is an article in the Oct 2009 issue of SOF about him and his products. Unfortunately, the article is about sleeping bags and outerwear, not packs. However, the mini biography starting on page 80 sheds light on the fact that Patrick spends alot of time in the backcountry testing, evaluating and improving his products.

When my current pack (the Kelty Cloud) reaches the end of its service life, I'll be looking at a Kifaru one to replace it.

I would not reccommend the MOLLE pack under any circumstances. If cost is a factor then (IMHO) you would be better off with large ALICE pack - also called the "mountain ruck."

Kifaru makes solid gear. Avoid Maxpedition, their products are garbage, especially their packs.

I had a pack blow out on me on Admirality Island, AK and my rain gear and boots were soaked through on day 1 of 3...I dont want to ever experience these problems again so yes I am looking for Best not best price.

I own Kifaru gear and have no doubt it will outlive me and I hike/backpack regularly.

I would not reccommend the MOLLE pack under any circumstances. If cost is a factor then (IMHO) you would be better off with large ALICE pack - also called the "mountain ruck."

The MOLLE was such a huge pile of fail that it came with a fricken instructional video to explain how to use it. The external frame was also extremely fragile. I personally went through 3 frames in 2 years. I can't recommend Kifaru because I have no experience with it, but I agree with Andy. If money is tight you can't beat a large ALICE.

I own an EMR, which I belive is the next size up from the MMR. It is a very high quality and rugged pack. They are expensive but it is well worth it. I don't mind paying for high quality that will last a lifetime, that goes for packs, firearms or whatever.

What really sets it apart from other packs is the quality and more importantly the frame/suspension set up. On the large packs the waist belt is an essential part of the the frame as it transfers most of the weight to the hips. The pack has several adjusting straps so the pack fits tight to your body. There are two aluminum bars that make up part of the frame. Theses bars can be removed and bent to better fit the contour of your back. It takes a while but once its all tweaked out it is very comfortable. I've never had more than maybe 70 pounds in it and I know a heavy pack is still a heavy pack but with this set up the extra weight is hardly noticeable.

Also as a plus the customer service is outstanding. You can call them up or email and get answers from the guys who build the packs. If you have a question or complaint and post it on their message board lots of the time the owner himself will reply.

Back
Top Bottom