Kids and guns

I went into a gun store for the first time with my daughter today. She's 3 and a half, and of course wanted to know what those strange objects I was handling were.

Question for you older gun folks is how long did you wait before introducing your kids to firearms, and how did you go about it?

Obviously I don't want to brush her off, I would like her to be involved in my passtime when she's older. I also want her to understand that they are dangerous, but not to scare her off.

I'm also sure she'll be introduced to them from her friends and their parents. Many of those people could be antis....1) I don't want those anti parents scared to let their kids come over to my house, and 2) I don't want them filling my daugter's head with crap.

Last edited:
A Daisy BB gun is a great way to start, especially with close reactive targets like soda cans. I think my kids first used them around age 5. Use a rest if offhand is too much at first.

You can and should introduce all the safety rules, making sure the gun is unloaded before going "downrange", muzzle direction, etc.

Be sure to use eye protection and choose a safe soft backdrop. Steel BBs can bounce back off a hard surface.

FYI -The "Red Ryder" model isn't the smallest, there's a model without a forestock that is even smaller and lighter.

I went into a gun store for the first time with my daughter today. She's 3 and a half, and of course wanted to know what those strange objects I was handling were.

Question for you older gun folks is how long did you wait before introducing your kids to firearms, and how did you go about it?

Obviously I don't want to brush her off, I would like her to be involved in my passtime when she's older. I also want her to understand that they are dangerous, but not to scare her off.

I'm also sure she'll be introduced to them from her friends and their parents. Many of those people could be antis....1) I don't want those anti parents scared to let their kids come over to my house, and 2) I don't want them filling my daugter's head with crap.

I have no children, but plan on exposing firearms to my kids very early. I've been around guns as far back as my earliest memory. Definitely pre-school. My father used to hold his rifle/shotgun and let me sight it and pull the trigger. He also taught safe handling at the same time.

We weren't allowed to own BB guns and such. He felt they taught bad habits. If we wanted to shoot something, we just had to ask. I received my first gun on my 10th birthday, which was the legal hunting age. By then, I'd taken three hunter safety classes, been hunting with my father regularly as a follower, and was a frequent shooter.

I believe any age is the right age, particularly if they are expressing curiosity. You don't want them to satisfy it on their own.

My daughter is five. I owned guns before she was born. I have never hidden the guns from her. I have explained to her many times that guns are not toys, that they can really hurt if used carelessly, and that daddy uses them for shooting targets, for killing animals to eat (yes, that is exactly what she is told), and to stop the bad people from hurting us.

She has helped me reload lots of ammo, sometimes just by sitting on my lap and watching as I make more ammo.

Probably next year I will start taking her to the gun club to work with a 22.

I took my youngest child, Luke, my 10-year-old son, to Four Seasons this afternoon as we had a soccer game in Winchester and we drove right by it. Picked up a new 9mm M&P compact. :)

I first brought Luke to the range when he waw 8. He knows all about firearm safety. Guns to him are cool but they aren't a big deal - he can ask me to look at my guns whenever he wants but rarely does so.

My oldest is also 3 and a half. I don't let her see them or go to the shops with me. I just don't feel she is even close to mature enough to grasp any aspect of it at that age. Don't get me wrong, I am not second guessing your decisions. Maybe I am the wrong one.
It is amazing though how they still absorb the "gun" stuff from elsewhere. Just yesterday we were talking about bad people, etc. and she randomly turned the conversation over to bears and how you have to be careful of them too. Then she says "you'll have to just get your gun and shoot it." I don't think she meant me, I think she was just talking in general, but I certainly didn't put that notion in her head. ??? I have never even spoken my guns to her. Maybe she picked it up from one of the hunting shows..

I also have a couple of 6-7 year old nephews and I think they are at or close to the time to start them. I have one started on archery. If they can't grasp the safety aspect, or even understand the general notion that a person can in fact get injured really bad, then I think it is too early.

When my girl was around 6 or 7 she took an interest in my guns. Lots of warning talks and such , but i wasn't quite sure i was getting through to her. Kids will nod and parrot things back at you sometimes without any idea of what they are saying.

Her cousin gave her ( with our blessing ) his first gun , a Daisy spring BB gun , and we brought it to our camp a few days later.

I gave her safety rules and tutoring as we popped the bb's into the skin of a pumpkin for a while. she picked up the safety rules well enough , she had fun. When she started to lose attention we put the Daisy away. i explained that "This one is mine" it's not for her , yet.

I asked to to stick her fingers in her ears and I put a load of buckshot through the pumpkin... I definately got my point across that time.

She's twelve now , and very competant with my scoped Ruger 10/22. Still not interested in the shotguns and still very good about safety.

When I was sub-teen I had tons of BB guns. I think my father first let me shoot his BB gun when I was 5 or 6, and I loved it and wanted my own. I remember my Mother being totally pissed at him when he bought me one for Christmas.

The guns, and my father, taught me a lot about respect for weapons, and how to handle and shoot them properly at an early age. The only problem is, eventually I got to the troublemaking age where I was able to find where my Father hid the guns, and go outside and shoot them while no one was around. I hit myself with plenty of ricochetes shooting things that I shouldn't have been shooting at. I also destroyed all my GI Joes and Transformers by shooting them. My friends and I even eventually graduated to shooting each other with them while playing war. I also remember hiding in the woods at night and shooting cars as they drove by on the highway (I know, I know...I was an a**h***). I had the utmost respect for .22's and up...but for some reason as I got older, I just didn't view BB guns as dangerous and did a lot of stupid stuff with them

So, I guess my point is this...if you're going to give your kid a BB gun at a young age, I think it's a good idea. However, supervise the usage of it, and when it's not being used I think it should be locked up in the gun case/safe with all of the other guns. Never let the kid take it and go off by himself/herself.

As soon as they are old to ask questions they are old enough to begin explaining to them what firearms are, but in terms they can understand. Stress safety, and that they never touch them except when you are around. The more that they understand that these are normal objects but which must be used in a responsible manner, the better they will be later in life.

Just my humble opinion of course.

My oldest is also 3 and a half. I don't let her see them or go to the shops with me. I just don't feel she is even close to mature enough to grasp any aspect of it at that age. Don't get me wrong, I am not second guessing your decisions. Maybe I am the wrong one.
It is amazing though how they still absorb the "gun" stuff from elsewhere. Just yesterday we were talking about bad people, etc. and she randomly turned the conversation over to bears and how you have to be careful of them too. Then she says "you'll have to just get your gun and shoot it." I don't think she meant me, I think she was just talking in general, but I certainly didn't put that notion in her head. ??? I have never even spoken my guns to her. Maybe she picked it up from one of the hunting shows..

That's the worrying part. Prior to me going into shop, she'd never even seen a gun. When I told her what it was she got worried, automatically assuming they were "bad". I don't know where she got that idea from (certainly not me, my wife or my family). I assume from one of her friends at her day-care. It took a while for me to explain that they weren't bad - but too ensure she never touches one without a grown-up around. I'm just hoping it's not too late.

When I told her what it was she got worried, automatically assuming they were "bad". I don't know where she got that idea from (certainly not me, my wife or my family). I assume from one of her friends at her day-care.

If she watches any TV at all, I would assume she got the notion from there. Aside from the Military channel or the Outdoors channel, TV paints a pretty grim picture of firearms.

I have no children, but plan on exposing firearms to my kids very early. I've been around guns as far back as my earliest memory. Definitely pre-school. My father used to hold his rifle/shotgun and let me sight it and pull the trigger. He also taught safe handling at the same time.

We weren't allowed to own BB guns and such. He felt they taught bad habits. If we wanted to shoot something, we just had to ask. I received my first gun on my 10th birthday, which was the legal hunting age. By then, I'd taken three hunter safety classes, been hunting with my father regularly as a follower, and was a frequent shooter.

I like your dad's approach. Wrt BB guns- the same gun rules should apply but I certainly understand his view.

My daughter will be three at the end of the month. She knows that "Uncle Adam and I go to the range" every Sunday. She also knows that "Daddy's guns are not toys" and to NEVER touch them if she see's one without Mommy or Daddy there. She has already asked when she can come to the range. She will have to wait a few years for that. Next year I will start her out on the old Daisy Red Rider and work up from there. Until then she loves to go visit Holly at Four Seasons and look at all the stuff Dad drools over.
There are alot of critics out there that will try and second guess your decisions about all aspects of parenting... both positive and negative. The best thing to keep in mind is that it it your family and you decision (as a family to make). Both my wife and I have our LTC-A (no restrictions) and are armed at all times (where not prohibited). We have made the decisions together when was it time for her to go the gun shop, rock climbing, dance class ice hockey etc. For us, education about guns (and other things, talking to strangers, etc) is paramount. We refuse to raise chilren "in fear".
Good luck with your journey. Take care.
Joe

The only problem is, eventually I got to the troublemaking age where I was able to find where my Father hid the guns, and go outside and shoot them while no one was around. I hit myself with plenty of ricochetes shooting things that I shouldn't have been shooting at. I also destroyed all my GI Joes and Transformers by shooting them. My friends and I even eventually graduated to shooting each other with them while playing war. I also remember hiding in the woods at night and shooting cars as they drove by on the highway (I know, I know...I was an a**h***). I had the utmost respect for .22's and up...but for some reason as I got older, I just didn't view BB guns as dangerous and did a lot of stupid stuff with them

That's exactly why my father didn't allow BB guns. The guns I shot, and learned early to respect, allowed no room for playing around. I could shoot anytime I wanted, with supervision, until I was old enough to shoot alone. I was never denied access, as long as I followed the rules.

A Daisy BB gun is a great way to start, especially with close reactive targets like soda cans. I think my kids first used them around age 5. Use a rest if offhand is too much at first.

You can and should introduce all the safety rules, making sure the gun is unloaded before going "downrange", muzzle direction, etc.

Be sure to use eye protection and choose a safe soft backdrop. Steel BBs can bounce back off a hard surface.

FYI -The "Red Ryder" model isn't the smallest, there's a model without a forestock that is even smaller and lighter.

Good advice here. IMO 5 is a good age and a good idea to start with a BB or pellet gun.

My $.02

I never permitted toy guns or BB guns in the house. My children have been around and have been handling guns since they had the strength to hold them. My son's first hunting trip came at 4, and he could tell you every minute detail about it to this day at the age of 12. They were permitted to handle and investigate anytime they felt the need, always supervised. This tells them that 1) the supervision is important and 2)you are (and should be) willing to drop whatever it is your doing to spend the time with them. Knowing they can look and touch anytime they please gives them no reason to sneak.
After a while there is no curiousity about guns whatsoever. My son loves to hear the history lesson that comes with a tour through my gun safes.

When they were young (4-5)they went to the range with me and my friends any time they wanted. Sometimes they got to shoot too. They spent many hours snapping in learning marksmanship basics. At age 9 they both recieved their own rifles. After memorizing the 4 golden rules. They can recite them from memory to this day at 12 and 15. Education is the key. Taking the time to do it is more key.

One thing I haven't quite made a final decision on is the friend factor. When they have friends over, sometimes I am unsure of some of their parents' feelings about firearms in general (but have yet to ask either) But I tell them all 'There are guns in this house-any gun you see is real and should not be touched' (not that they're laying all over the place-but the warning needs to be made) and give them a quick "safety brief" I also tell them that they and/or their parents are welcome to come shooting or to come over and talk about them anytime they ask. I mostly leave it to my own kids to help me police their friends.

I'm planning on not allowing toy guns in the house, or using any sort of gun "play." Hopefully I can teach him that even a fake finger gun pointed at a person is not a safe direction, and use that situation to go through the basic safety rules.
Other than that, I'm open to bring him to the range early on (like next month?), and then I'll hold the gun and let him squeeze the trigger starting around 4 or 5. Then a .22 rifle for Christmas when he's 7 or 8. It really depends on his emotional maturity and his willingness to be safe, though. Which are all unknown quantities at this point.

But I want him exposed to the idea of guns from the beginning.

2 girls here. I have had firearms of various types in the house since they were very little so the idea of seeing one isn't novel to them. They have been taught since day 1 to consider every gun real and loaded and not to touch it. As they got older we would go in the backyard with a couple BB guns and they learned the fundamentals of safe handling, always pointing down range, finger off the trigger until ready to fire etc.

This summer I brought the oldest to the range for the first time, finally felt she was ready for it. She shot pretty well for a 15 year old. She prefers the AK due to the shorter stock. The younger one isn't quite ready yet, but I'll have a good idea when she is.

Thinking about having Santa bring them each a stripped AR receiver for Xmas this year, then start building them up into rifles over the next few months - a good report card or other such achievements will add a stock, parts of an upper, etc. This way their studies and home responsibilities don't suffer and by the time it's done each will have her own rifle.

OTR

Emily at 5

web%20100_0500.jpg

I bought a Daisy for my 5 year old granddaughter and the LOP was way too long. Rather than cut it off, I gave her a Cricket 22.....just right.

I started my son out with the traditional Red Ryder when he was five.
He already knew the four rules, it was a condition of his getting a "Special Present".

I'm another one who believes in "No toy guns.", but as far as the BB guns go they are a good teaching tool.

Dan received his first .22 single shot the next year and a single shot .410 Stevens during the summer. He hasn't had any interest in the Red Ryder since.

We don't buy our kids any realistic looking guns. Nerf guns are OK, or space blasters.

When I was a kid, I had the real looking cap guns, but now I'm kind of nervous having things like that around since we have real guns, and I don't really want even the remote possibility of confusion.

We go to the range to fire .22, but my daughter dislikes the noise from anything larger caliber. I think a 9mm carbine would be the next step up.

My son was 4 when I got my first gun (in my adult life). He was very interested, and I started drilling him in the 4 rules right off the bat. Made him memorize them and repeat them before he held the rifle (with my help, it was a ruger 77/22 a bit big for him to lift).

Obviously he was parroting back the rules, but in practice I'd cock it, tell him the safe direction, let him look through the scope and dry-fire it. Eventually I started asking him the "why" questions about the 4 rules until he "got it" as to why we obey them all the time.

He was 5 when I took him to the range for the first time, and I amed and held the gun while he fired. I probably would have let him hold a smaller gun, and let him aim it if we were at a less restrictive range.

At 6 I got him a bb gun that fit him, and he could practice open sights aiming. He also shot a handgun for the first time at the same age (Walther P22, loaded with 1 round) with me directly behind him, hands at the ready, but he was pretty responsible by then regarding safety.

I bought a small rossi single shot 22 this summer that he uses (he just turned 8).

One thing I always promised him was that he could always see, touch, handle and dryfire my guns, all he ahd to do was ask me to open the safe and supervise. It was sort of a crazy 6 months or so of going to the safe sometimes 4 or 5 times a day, but it really took the curiosity factor away.

My daughter just tuned 5, but is not really interested in them to begin with, but I'm waiting for that to change. :)

I don't have kids and I'm a new shooter myself, but the articles about kids and guns at cornered cat sounded very sensible to me. I agree that dropping everything for your kids to look at / handle your guns with supervision is a great idea. Taking away the curiosity / temptation to try and get at them when you're not around and making sure that guns aren't a forbidden fruit is a really smart idea.

One thing I always promised him was that he could always see, touch, handle and dryfire my guns, all he ahd to do was ask me to open the safe and supervise. It was sort of a crazy 6 months or so of going to the safe sometimes 4 or 5 times a day, but it really took the curiosity factor away.

Thats genius.

Wow, guys. Great posts here.

I think it's critical for the future of our collective shooting sports that safe firearms handling be taught to our children. I certainly won't be forcing my daughter to get into a shooting hobby if she doesn't want to, but she will know safe firearms handling and storage when she's old enough. I consider it on par with learning to drive a car.

She's a precocious 2 now, and knows that daddy like to hunt. She knows a lot about animals already and was excited that I might be bringing home a grouse or woodcock this fall. My wife was worried that she wouldn't understand and think I was bringing her a pet, but when I walked up with a woodcock she touched it, smoothed its feathers and said "Daddy, let's eat him!". She is such an enthusiastic budding huntress that she actually cries when I don't bring anything home. She also prefers woodcock to partridge. She's a sophisticated young lady!

It just shows me that kids really get it. My daughter knows that when meat is on the table, we are eating an animal. She also knows that I use guns to kill animals for food, but that not all animals are ok to hunt. We just see no reason in trying to "protect" her from the truth.

I am predicting that she will be an avid hunter, but I don't want to push it on her. I do plan on enrolling her in a hunter safety course when she's old enough, and my wife and I will attend this with her. It'll be a family event.

It heartens me greatly to see so many wise posts regarding safe firearms handling and storage around children. Cheers to this community.

I started my daughters at about 5 years old with using a BB gun to shoot ballons. The reactive target is a big draw for kids. Along with the BB gun shooting was constant background chatter of safe gun handling, and safe shooting. Within months, we progressed to staged situations where letting them see me clean guns was a learning experience about safety and care. In less than 6 months, we had gotten to the point where I would intentionally leave a gun (partially disassembled to make it non-functional) on the coffee table and leave the room while they were occupied elsewhere. When they came upon the gun, they would hunt me down, shake their finger in my face, and tell me that I had "done something wrong." I had left a gun unattended. (The old Eddie Eagle "Don't touch, leave the room, tell an adult" lesson.) They are now in their early 20s, and they are the ones usually bugging me about "We haven't gone to the range for soooo long!" They always knew that guns, swords knives, or anything else around the house were available to them (under supervision) by just asking. This also was done with alcohol, and neither girl has become an abuser of alcohol, but have learned that a good wine is a great accompaniment to dinner.

Last edited:
Only exposure my 2yo gets is when daddy is cleaning.

So far, he doesn't show any more interest other than "I gotta grab everything". (^_^)

I intend to keep it like this until some interest sparks. Right now, he'd rather go for a ride in Daddy's truck and point out all the "Big Trucks" we pass.

I would intentionally leave a gun

Heh, I have a model of a 1911 with a solid barrel (just a modified chamber to allow the dummy "cartridges" to be chambered.) Was what I learned to strip a 1911 on when I was a kid. With the exception of the firing pin area of the slide, the parts are all the same. (Well, dimensionally things are off a little so that you can't put on a real slide)

Right now, Its at a friend's house so he can do just what Arioch did with his kids.

Last edited:
Heh, I have a model of a 1911 with a solid barrel (just a modified chamber to allow the dummy "cartridges" to be chambered.) Was what I learned to strip a 1911 on when I was a kid. With the exception of the firing pin area of the slide, the parts are all the same. (Well, dimensionally things are off a little so that you can't put on a real slide)

Chris, this sounds perfect. I wish I'd had one when I was teaching the lil tykes. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom