• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

K31 Beachwood or Walnut?

Gonna be ordering a K31 next week, and there are two available. A Beachwood and a Walnut. Was hoping someone could post some pics of the two, or tell me if one is more collectable over the other. thanks a bunch.[smile]

Walnut is nice because sometimes you get one that looks like this. [smile]

K31.jpg

I specifically asked for a walnut stock with tiger striping and paid a few extra bucks for that one.
Sending you a PM with info on stock diferences and where I got that beauty from.

That is a work of art. If there was a smiley for :drool: I would post it. Thanks a ton for the pm.

It's actually Beechwood. I have some beech trees in my yard. Sorry to pick nits.

It's whatever you like. Beech is a very much lighter wood than walnut. Beech is probably rarer but I don't know if it affects value.

Mine in the pic is Beech? It doesn't look like any of the other beech stocks I have. The grain pattern and color definitely looks walnut to me. Plus I didn't think striping and dark streaks in the grain were found in beechwood? Usually its the tight curly pattern.

Beech or Walnut, that is one beautiful rifle! Since I hope to make a K31 one of my next aquisitions, too, I would appreciate any recommended sources.

-Gary

Mine in the pic is Beech? It doesn't look like any of the other beech stocks I have. The grain pattern and color definitely looks walnut to me. Plus I didn't think striping and dark streaks in the grain were found in beechwood? Usually its the tight curly pattern.

I was not referring to your gun, I was referring to the original poster's spelling of beechwood.

I don't know what your wood is as it looks too light for walnut and the tiger striping is not very normal for walnut..but i guess it could be.

Have you really researched the K31 histories to see what they used? Could be some native Swiss type wood. It IS beautiful.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure walnut was used for most Swiss rifles with Beech on later K31 models.
The K31 has been sparking the interest of milsurp shooters for a few years now. Its one of the first rifles I got after getting a C&R license, they were $79 then and not many knew about them. A lot of the rifles that came in during that time had butt stocks that were terrible. Beaver Chewed was a term that was used to describe them. Several opinions on why they were so rough popped up on forums and sites selling them. Everything from the fact that they were stacked 3 rifles tripod style using the stacking swivel at the muzzle to lock together with the butt stocks resting in deep snow, to the Swiss military's use of a back pack with rifle scabbard that left the rifle butt exposed, to reports from one former owner saying they often practiced busting down barbed wire obstacles with the rifle butts. All of which could contribute to the condition some were in.
The rifles you get now from distributors and see at gun shows often have pretty nice stocks from top to bottom. This is believed to be because the Swiss sold off their beat up rifles to importers first and kept the nicer models that are now making their way into the country. Some like in the link I posted are pretty much un-issued and not even C&R status yet.
Most all Swiss rifles like 96/11s, 1911s, K11s, and K31s have near perfect bores. This is due to the fact that the Swiss didn't use corrosive ammo and they were never used in combat. Plus they were taught to take good care of the rifle. Most rifles also have matching numbers as there wasn't much of a need to tear them down and toss out worn or damaged parts. The average K31 you order these days will have about 80% or better bluing and good to VG wood, plus a sling and sometimes muzzle cap. Some places set specific models aside for striping in the wood like the one in my picture, and some check for name tags.
Name tags are one of the most desirable points in a collectable rifle. Often when a rifle was turned in after the Swiss soldier was done with the army, he wrote his name and info on a paper tag and put it under the rifle's butt plate. Many collectors have actually contacted the still living original owners of the rifles they have received. Some have even gotten supplies such as bayonets, cleaning kits, and whatever else the veteran still had and was willing to part with often because they are touched that someone now has their rifle and took the time to contact them and tell them about it. If you search Swiss rifle forums you'll find posts from collectors that have gotten replies after sending a letter to the info on the rifle's tag. Some are hard to understand because the soldier who carried it doesn't speak or write English too well, and some need translating which I think is pretty cool.[grin]
If you see a K31 at a gun show or shop, ask the person selling it if they can check under the butt plate for a tag, or ask a sales associate from where ever you're ordering one from if they check for tags for an extra fee. I have 4 Swiss straight pulls including a few K31s and 3 of them have tags. I've never contacted the former owners, especially on some of the older rifles I have because they're probably long gone by now. Its always been on my To Do list though.

Back
Top Bottom