K&R in Hudson

I got a call this morning from a friend who said ATF and local PD went in and siezed all of K&Rs inventory today. Has anyone else heard anything?

I got a call this morning from a friend who said ATF and local PD went in and siezed all of K&Rs inventory today. Has anyone else heard anything?

Have not heard this, but am driving by at lunch. It's plausible.

I thought the guy had shut down a long time ago. Maybe he didn't dispose of his inventory to other dealers by the end of his time limit or something. the ATF has been going full retard on shops with paperwork violations, even menial ones.

-Mike

He's getting out of the business and has been trying to arrange a deal with somebody to purchase the store. He's been operating without an FFL the last few months, but trying to side step the issue by doing all the transfers through other dealers. Sounded a bit risky to me. So I'm not terribly shocked to hear ATF stepped in.

I thought the guy had shut down a long time ago.

He's still been in business, but the totally third-hand, un-verified, possible totally false rumor was that something happened to his FFL.

He's getting out of the business and has been trying to arrange a deal with somebody to purchase the store. He's been operating without an FFL the last few months, but trying to side step the issue by doing all the transfers through other dealers. Sounded a bit risky to me. So I'm not terribly shocked to hear ATF stepped in.

I'd substitute "blindingly stupid" for "a bit risky".

Last edited:
I feel bad for him. Ray has had a lot of bad breaks lately and he's feeling old and tired. Last time I talked to him I got the feeling he just didn't care anymore.

I hope it he avoids any further fallout. I'm not sure how mad the ATF is going to be about that.

When I was in there about a month ago, he said he didn't have his FFL. It's not a rumor.

He's still been in business, but the totally third-hand, un-verified, possible totally false rumor was that something happened to his FFL.

I'd substitute "blindingly stupid" for "a bit risky".

Ray's a really nice guy. A bit kooky at times but the first time I met him in his old shop he was really accommodating with questions and was really friendly and trusting.

He handed me his personal piece, a Sig in a IWB setup so I can get a feel for the holster with a full 229. It was loaded! I was just some guy who he spent ten minutes with. Granted I handled it gingerly but he had no clue who I was. Was a dumb move but that does show you his character.

Anyway, I was in his new shop just a few weeks ago and he looked beat. Cancer struck a few of his family members and he was showing the physical signs of dealing with all of that.

Hope he doesn't have too many issues with the ATF as he really doesn't need more stress in his life.

Definitely not a rumor; I've talked to him about it. I also know the guy who's trying to buy him out. Good guy, too... and I sent him a link to the thread on "Dear FFL - here's what not to do" on this board, too.

His lack of an FFL is certainly not a rumor. But what about ATF seizing the store this morning?

Did his old one expire or did they take it away from him? Sometimes when they strip licensees they give the person X number of days to stop operations. If they think he was still "acting as a dealer" past that cutoff, that's why they might be back there. I hope for his sake he has a lawyer and he didn't get arrested.

-Mike

As of January his FFL was not renewed, but he said it was in process. I would not be 100% sure that the FFL thing was the result of this most recent issue. We'll see I guess...

Ray was one of the first FFL's I found when I moved to this hell-hole in 2000. As some say, he is a little quirky at first, but I came to know him well and he is a good guy.

Whatever he did or didn't do, I wouldn't wish this crap on my worst enemy

I may be wrong, but I don't think Ray had much to do with the day-to-day stuff in the past few years. The last 10 times I was in there I think I saw him once.

The last couple of times I've been in there, it's just been Ray. I was in there a couple of weeks ago and saw the signs about purchases needing to go through a different shop with Ray picking up the transfer fees. He also talked about selling the shop (including inventory) but I haven't seen him since then. I was hoping it was going to work out for him. He did look, even said that everything was just wearing him down.
Aloha,
Doug

Ray's a really nice guy. A bit kooky at times but the first time I met him in his old shop he was really accommodating with questions and was really friendly and trusting.

He handed me his personal piece, a Sig in a IWB setup so I can get a feel for the holster with a full 229. It was loaded! I was just some guy who he spent ten minutes with. Granted I handled it gingerly but he had no clue who I was. Was a dumb move but that does show you his character.

Anyway, I was in his new shop just a few weeks ago and he looked beat. Cancer struck a few of his family members and he was showing the physical signs of dealing with all of that.

Hope he doesn't have too many issues with the ATF as he really doesn't need more stress in his life.

He always had a j frame smith on him too

Don't know. All he said when I last spoke to him was, "I don't have it anymore."

He told me that he had let it expire while he was taking care of his sister in NY. Once she passed away, he let the other employees go and ran it himself in an attempt to liquidate the inventory and some of the high end stuff from his personal collection and using other shops for the transfers.

That's too bad. Ray was a decent guy. He was getting stretched a little thin from all his family troubles, but that's expected, guiven what's gone on with him. I hope he gets things in order and isn't in any hot water, and can get some R&R.

As for one more shop closing, IDC just opened up in clinton,not too far away, so we are still at a zero net for gun shop closures. [smile]

So what happens to the inventory? I assume there was quite a bit of value there. Does he get the same "bonded warehouse" treatment a typical MA subject would get (I hope not)?

Not a rumor. A friend dropped off his rifle yesterday morning to get a scope ray had on clearance installed.later on in the day ray called him to come by immediately and get his rifle because the atf was there taking his inventory.
I was told by another ffl that was doing transfers for him that he lost it due to some sort of paperwork discrepancy

Back
Top Bottom