• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just saw that Bill Ruger Jr. died in the fall.

dcmdon

NES Member
Hey all. Just thought I'd post this as an item of general interest.
"Bill Jr." died in September. He was quite a guy. My dad worked with him on the Ruger Automobile back in the late 60s/early 70s. We got a Christmas party invite every year after that.

He was a good guy, and a bit less naive than his father.

Don

Obituary for William Batterman Ruger, Jr. | Newton-Bartlett Funeral Home

Wow, I didn't realize that, I thought he was still alive. Didn't know too much about him apart from occasionally popping up talking about gun control in a positive light. Knew a lot more about the less than savory ideas of his father.
Thanks for sharing though.

He was a great guy. If you read the comments in the Obit, there are several from people who worked in the Newport NH factory saying how well they treated their employees.
That is true today. When Bill SR started his first company he went bankrupt and the business failed.

He took to heart having to lay off all the people who counted on him for their livelihoods.
That was part of the reason SR never took on any debt. When the gun market turned down, they didn't have a big monthly debt payment to service and could afford not to lay people off. This is also still true today. Not a dime of debt.

In 1991 my Dad wanted to try sporting clays. So I gave Bill Jr a call and asked if he could help me out. My mom and sisters and I wanted to pitch in to get him a gun. Bill Jr. had the production guys make a Red Label for my Dad with hand picked walnut. They also took extra care in patterning it and regulating the barrels. It was a very nice gesture. I still have the bill of sale for that gun.

rugerrledit.jpg

Back
Top Bottom