• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just noticed some cracks in my 1911 .45 mags!

I usually bring 4 magazines to IDPA matches/practice. I was running into a situation where my slide stopped locking back after the last round was fired. I think I narrowed it down to a single mag, stopped using it at my last practice and I didn't have any more mag problems.
So tonight, I decided to give them a good cleaning/inspection. Can you believe that 3 of the 4 had small cracks- at the back of the top of the mag near the lips. Well to make it more interesting the only one that didn't have a crack was the one that I think was causing my slide lock problems!!

These mags are all S&W 8 round 1911 mags, the black ones. Anyone run into this before? Now although I use these for IDPA and certainly get dropped- they are in GREAT shape and you don't even see "other" visual indications that they were banged around. FWIW I've used my M&P and Sig extensively prior to using my 1911 and I never had problems with those mags.

I guess the more and harder you play the more you seem to run into!!

That's a pretty well known problem with those (ACT/Novak) mags. S&W will replace them. Do a search for "novak crack" on http://forums.1911forum.com and you'll find plenty. It seems that recent production ones are fine.

Dave thanks! I can't search on that forum yet (not member) but indeed mine are marked ACT. Mine are fairly new but I'll give S&W a call next week for sure!

One of these mags jammed my gun so badly at a sig class that we
had to tear my entire gun apart to get it out. I can NEVER trust them
again. They are fine for the range, and they work great, but not
when my life could be on the line.

(Sigarms uses re badged ACTs also)

YMMV.

F

I'll try to get S&W to replace them.. but now I'm likely to switch mags altogether. I need to look at others that are better.

I've never had any trouble with the Novak/ACT mags for my P220.

I'm sure S+W will probably replace them if you complain.

Strangely enough at one time S+W was packing/sending out
Wilson 47s with their guns, but I'm not sure what happened with
that deal.

-Mike

I placed an order at Midway for a few things tonight. I picked up a Wilson 74D and a Chip McCormick Power Mag. The ACT ones from S&W "seem" to function fairly well (other than the one mag with an apparent slide lock issue) but with 3 out of 4 with cracks... I'm not too confident. Maybe I'll just get the S&W replacements and use them for practice.

Just missed the Cobra Mags group buy! Too bad as they are great mags.
I disagree. While I like the design of the Tripp mags, the quality control is terrible. Of the three that I bought, one is impossible to completely seat when full, a second is impossible to completely fill, and only the third works properly.

It doesn't matter how good the design of the Tripp mags is if they just don't work...

I'll take a Wilson over a Tripp mag any day of the week.

mags are consumable. They wear out, break, crack, etc. Through them out and buy quality replacements like the Chip McCormack Power Mags. (IMHO the very best out there.)

IIRC S&W used Wilson's initially (that's what came with my early S&W 1911), then switched to Novack's. I had heard that they subsequently went back to Wilson's, although I do not know for certain.

They will definitely take care of you and replace broken mags.

As for the Cobra Mags, if you have a problem with them, don't bitch here, call Virgil Tripp and he'll take care of the problem.

M1911 Let us know how it all works out with Tripp.... I would be VERY surprised if you aren't satisfied when you contact them! ! ! ! ! ! ![hmmm]

With Wilson mags, I don't have to bitch, here or any where else. I don't have to call anyone, pack them and ship them back. They just work. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom