just got this in an email...

Palladin

NES Member
Sighting in your expensive new deer rifle

1. Shiny new, high-powered deer rifle..............$ 1,200.00
2. Quality, high-powered scope........................$ 550.00
3. Bore sighting device.....................................$ 140.00
4. Hospital Visit......................$ 4,893.00
5. Forgetting to remove the bore sighting device prior to actually shooting the damned thing?

Priceless

View attachment 2372

View attachment 2373

View attachment 2374

Last edited:
I've seen guys shoot their ramrod out of a muzzle loader without damage. We have a section of a shotgun barrel where a guy shot a slug out of a full choke, but it didn't split that far back.

Holly crap! if that's what happened to the rifle, I wonder what the guy firing it looked like after that...

Those are posted on the rifle range @ danvers and the one there include pics of the guy being carted off by paramedics. He was not in bad shape actually with what appeared to be just some flesh wounds and maybe an issue with one eye.

The engineer and nerd in me has to ask...unless the barrel was made with 4 pieces of metal, I don't see how a modern barrel could do that. At the very worst, it would mushroom at the muzzle or do a small flower at the tip. Also the Mythbusters did a thing that suggested even welding a bung (yes it's the proper term) at the end of the barrel could not yield the pictured banana peel results.

The engineer and nerd in me has to ask...unless the barrel was made with 4 pieces of metal, I don't see how a modern barrel could do that. At the very worst, it would mushroom at the muzzle or do a small flower at the tip. Also the Mythbusters did a thing that suggested even welding a bung (yes it's the proper term) at the end of the barrel could not yield the pictured banana peel results.

+1... IMO There is no reasonable way that would happen because as soon as the end of the barrel begins to release the pressure, it would have split a few inches back at most.

Jeezus! Poor b@stard! Looks like a gun barrel will split like a banana. Warner Bro's cartoons were right!

A) The barrel is definitely a thin one, which I think is helping make this so pronounced. B) the lands and grooves cause a lack of uniformity in the barrel thickness that extends from breach to muzzle. Those grooves will act as shear points and they only revolve about 1 & 1/2 times around from breach to muzzle. If you look at the picture, the four segments are twisted in the same way. I can't say for sure from the picture, but a .270 puts out a huge amount of pressure in a small diameter bore and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a .270 and I would bet that the lands form the edge of each of those 4 tines of the exploded barrel.

Did I miss the brand of rifle? $1200?

I don't see a boresighter doing that much damage to a barrel. Then again, I've never heard of anybody stupid enough to forget they had the damn thing in there.

A) The barrel is definitely a thin one, which I think is helping make this so pronounced. B) the lands and grooves cause a lack of uniformity in the barrel thickness that extends from breach to muzzle. Those grooves will act as shear points and they only revolve about 1 & 1/2 times around from breach to muzzle. If you look at the picture, the four segments are twisted in the same way. I can't say for sure from the picture, but a .270 puts out a huge amount of pressure in a small diameter bore and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a .270 and I would bet that the lands form the edge of each of those 4 tines of the exploded barrel.

Very good point. After reviewing the pictures, yes I agree the split does seem to follow some weakness and based up your stated twist rate, it could definitely be the lands and grooves. Given the oomph of a .270, if that was indeed the caliber, and especially on a thin barrel, I could see it happening. Good catch!

I've seen guys shoot their ramrod out of a muzzle loader without damage. We have a section of a shotgun barrel where a guy shot a slug out of a full choke, but it didn't split that far back.

I've seen that too. And the shoulder bruise from basically tripling the bullet weight. Bet that hurt. [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom