• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just finished my first knife build

My first attempt at a knife. I ordered a Morakniv blank from amazon, picked out a piece of split burled hardwood from my firewood stack, and went to town. Used a British pound coin as the blade stop. JB weld securing the tang inside the handle and coin to wood.

Definitely struck some luck having it come out the way it did!

Can anybody identify what type of wood this is? It's very hard and was damn tough to shape and sand. Was thinking Maple..
20160918_163027.jpg
20160918_162956.jpg
20160918_163014.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice. Could be maple, but it depends what you put on it. Is it stained, or just oiled?

Maple is awfully pale. If you've still got some unfinished stock lying around, post it.

Thanks!

I just put on 2 coats of Teak oil after making my way up to 1000 grit.

These are the best shots I can get with the lighting right now, table saw marks..
I have a lot of this stuff stacked away, would love to find out what it is.
20160918_180826.jpg
20160918_180909.jpg
20160918_180853.jpg

Maple's a good bet, though you might never really know for sure. Looks enough like it, and it's so common here it often shows up as firewood. The grain's more prominent than a lot of maple, but in the end who cares? It looks great.

You paid a dollar thirty for your hilt, at today's exchange rate.

Nice, did you just epoxy the handle on?

I keep telling myself I am gonna build a small forge. Been saving old files and cold chisels. However I need another thing to do like I need a hole in the head.

Nice, did you just epoxy the handle on?

I keep telling myself I am gonna build a small forge. Been saving old files and cold chisels. However I need another thing to do like I need a hole in the head.

Yup I drilled a slot for the tang and poured JB weld in, aligned everything and let it set overnight.

I want to build a forge as well. Found some plans using a coffee can. There are some videos on YouTube showing how to build one.

I have also seen the plans using a coffee can. I think if I am gonna build one though I would like something a little bigger. I do a lot of welding and metal work and occasionally need to heat things up and a rosebud is sometimes a pain to use not having a third hand. I would also love to do an axe head someday.

Nice.... I made several knives out of old files as a kid. Basically a rainy day project spending weekends at my aunt and uncles house. Be damed if I could find one of those knives now.

I wish I had the know how, experience, and materials to make my own metal objects.

I wish I had the know how, experience, and materials to make my own metal objects.

Google and Youtube should get you going.....
Yard sale or flea market late hours and snag some files.....old punches and chisels I,picked up some punches and chisels yesterday 1$ each although they are nice enough to use as intended...next time.

Nice.... I made several knives out of old files as a kid. Basically a rainy day project spending weekends at my aunt and uncles house. Be damed if I could find one of those knives now.
I made one IN MIDDLE SCHOOL SHOP CLASS and there was no lock-down. Mine was also from a file. It was basically a grind and heat treat project. I also can't find it and really wish I could. I kind of remember telling my dad to toss it when I was in my 20s[slap]

I made one IN MIDDLE SCHOOL SHOP CLASS and there was no lock-down. Mine was also from a file. It was basically a grind and heat treat project. I also can't find it and really wish I could. I kind of remember telling my dad to toss it when I was in my 20s[slap]

I specifically went to a flea market yesterday looking for junk steel and pewter.... this crowd was tough antique rusty steel was priced way high....pewter....was basically at spot tin price !

I've done a couple - All from knifekits dot calm

I picked up a few kits of the same type - I know me, I'll mess up and need another set of parts.

I photographed each step and made a knife for my Dad - I sent it along with a book documenting the process - it was a fathers day gift for him - it might be somewhere in here, I'm not sure - anyway. Once you've done one, you'll want to do more.

Kits are a great way to make a "one-off" gift

Nice work - I'll take two! But add a shank of Ferrocerium with handle for a "bush knife" duo - sheath is extra = $200 set!

Love the coin top, well done - enjoy - looks maple to me, especially by difficulty to work with.

Back
Top Bottom