Just clarifying Ma.'s version of the AWB

I'm about to purchase one of two "verified" Preban AR15s, each at a different shop. I have been told by one FFL source that I can only put Preban parts on this rifle. I have been told the other FFL that since the receiver is a verified preban, I can put anything on it, preban or newly manufactured.

I have searched the website and can't find exact literature. I have also check AR15.com but their info. is not Mass. only info.

Can someone who is already familiar and entrenched in the AR platform clarify the "laws" we Massachusetts people have to follow?

Thanks

I'm about to purchase one of two "verified" Preban AR15s, each at a different shop. I have been told by one FFL source that I can only put Preban parts on this rifle. I have been told the other FFL that since the receiver is a verified preban, I can put anything on it, preban or newly manufactured.

The 2nd assertion is correct. If they are truly preban you can put any parts
on it you want, it doesn't matter when they were made.

-Mike

If you really want to be within the letter of the law,the lower has to have left the factory as a complete "evil" rifle to be able to accessorize it with any "evil" features.

For example,I sent the SN to Bushmaster and got a letter stating the lower left the factory as a complete rifle.

There is one manufacturer that manufactured just lowers prior to 1994,but went out of business/burnt down and there is no record of the complete rifle status.it might be SGW or something,I can't remember.

If you really want to be within the letter of the law,the lower has to have left the factory as a complete "evil" rifle to be able to accessorize it with any "evil" features.

For example,I sent the SN to Bushmaster and got a letter stating the lower left the factory as a complete rifle.

There is one manufacturer that manufactured just lowers prior to 1994,but went out of business/burnt down and there is no record of the complete rifle status.it might be SGW or something,I can't remember.

Olympic arms?...

Nothing is more frustrating than to know little or nothing about the firearm you own or are about to buy. This page is here to assist our customers as much as we are able.

As many of you already know, on the 7th of June, 2000, Olympic Arms experienced a devastating fire that destroyed our sales offices. In those offices were housed our current as well as archival records with regards to manufacture, acquisition and distribution of firearms. The books that we, as well as all federally licensed firearms dealers are required to keep are commonly known as "Bound Books", or "A&D" (acquisition & distribution) books.

These books, over 25 years of Olympic Arms history and data, were completely destroyed in that fire. All A& D book records prior to the 7th of June, 2000 are GONE. Period. This is an unfortunate situation that severely limits our ability to provide product information for any and all AR-15 style lower receivers and/or complete guns manufactured prior to that date. Because of this situation, all that we can provide is what you see below, a date "range" in which your serial number was manufactured.

We CANNOT provide you with the date the serial number was shipped, we CANNOT provide you with information determining whether a particular serial number was a factory assembled weapon, and most importantly, we CANNOT determine whether or not your particular serial number is a legal grandfathered pre-ban assault weapon.

Many people and organizations have been critical of Olympic Arms for not securing a copy of these records elsewhere, or keeping an electronic file of this data as an emergency back up. If you'd like to read why this decision was made, please click THIS Information opens in a separate window. Please deactivate your popup blocker if the window does not open..

http://www.olyarms.com/?rootView=page&page=sn-info

I have searched the website and can't find exact literature. I have also check AR15.com but their info. is not Mass. only info.

Can someone who is already familiar and entrenched in the AR platform clarify the "laws" we Massachusetts people have to follow?

Thanks

The 1st FFL will probably also tell you that you can't use pre-ban magazines in a post-ban rifle. [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom