Just an observation...

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Hey folks,

I had written this in response to the "Remember the LA shootout" thread. Now I know that the troll has been vanquished, and good riddance to bad rubbish, but I spent a bunch of time on it (I got pulled away in the middle of writing it) and I'd like to see what you all think.

I'm not trying to cause any kind of issues by posting it (obviously the person who got the thread closed is banned, and the rest of us are good people who can have an intelligent discussion without name-calling and other rude behavior).

In writing it, I gave the OP the beneift of the doubt as far as his shooting skills were concerned (In reading the whole thread, I realize now that perhaps I shouldn't have), but here it is in it's original format, and please feel free to comment/correct. [smile]

This is ridiculous. I'd like to see the OP hit a pie plate at 50 yards with a sidearm, PERIOD.

Mind you, I'm not saying that it can't be done, much to the contrary. But I've also been to the range with A LOT of shooters that can't hit a piece of plate steel at 50 feet, let alone 50 meters. (Present NES’ers excluded of course)

Now, I don't know the OP, haven't seen him shoot, and don't know anything about his skill level with a pistol (or any other firearm for that matter). However, in my years of experience, I've seen lots of guys that can't hit the ground with a pistol under normal relaxed shooting conditions, so I'd need to see him do it first.

That would establish a baseline. Now let's make it FAR MORE DIFFICULT;

Let's have that pie plate moving, and I don't just mean moving in one direction, I mean changing levels, angles and distances in a completely erratic and unpredictable manner. Now let's paint it flat black (the bad guys were wearing black masks) in front of front of like-colored objects from time to time and then back to bright colored surfaces, changing the depth perception and contrast of your sight picture and overall view of the target.

STILL THINK YOU CAN HIT IT?

But wait there's more!

Now lets add an OBSCENE amount of incoming rifle fire, fully automatic rifle fire to boot. I don't know about you, but even with Military experience and a fair amount of combat training courses and simulations, I've never come under FA rifle fire before.

The officers involved knew that just one of those incoming rounds could wipe them out. We're not talking about some piddly 9mm round here (not that I'd want to catch one of those), but 7.62x39 and .308. I make the very safe assumption that as brave as those officers were (and still are), they were mindful of the extraordinary amount of danger they were in, and took cover first and foremost.

This would most certainly affect the officer's ability to get a clear "head shot" on the target.

NOW LET'S MAKE IT EVEN MORE DIFFICULT:

There are wounded officers and civilians in the vicinity. The remaining officers are seeing first hand what may very well happen to them at any moment. I don't care who you are; that's going to scare the shit out of you. Period. This is going to further affect the officer's ability to acquire their target(s).

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

Now let's introduce noise. Lots and lots of noise! Full and semi-auto gunfire (and piles of it at that), people screaming, law enforcement shouting commands, and all the general cacophony that ensues during a combat situation.

So in closing....

"All the officers had to do" was:

Hit a small, difficult to see, fast and erratic moving pie plate that was sending gobs of full-auto rifle fire at them at approximately 150 feet away while being confused, terrified, distracted and potentially wounded (in most cases severely)....

With a 9mm pistol.

I rest my case.

Wasn't this the imputus for the whole patrol rifle concept? You really have to hand it to the cops on the scene. They managed not to kill innocent people, and IIRC, managed not to get killed themselves.

Excellent points Greg. I would have had to go back to school to put those thoughts together. +1

I wasted my time reading the OP and am surprised he lasted as long as he did. I can't wait to read of his issues with LEOs in the near future.

A few years back, at either LFI-1 or LFI-2 (can't remember which), we spent some time shooting pistols at 50 yards, prone. I was shooting a series I Kimber with a 3.5 lb trigger job. That gun has proven to be pretty accurate. Not a bullseye gun, but still quite good, and far better than your typical police service pistol.

I was wearing double hearing protection and I've shot just a little bit of Service Rifle, so I'm comfortable in prone position. I was the best shooter on the line, with an 8-10" group out of 20 shots or so.

But the target was stationary, the lighting was perfect, there weren't (to paraphrase Randy Cain) babies crying, people screaming, sirens coming, etc. I wasn't trying to listen to the dispatcher on my radio. I wasn't worrying about my colleague 50 yards away screaming in pain. And, most importantly, no one was shooting at me with a machine gun.

Even with all of those advantages, I would have had a heck of a time making a headshot. The apparent size of a head would be smaller than my front sight at that distance, which makes it just that much harder.

Put me on a two-way range, with 8 officers already down, people screaming, babies crying, sirens coming, imperfect lighting, perps moving, adrenalin pumping, a service pistol with a heavy trigger, and 7.62 rounds going past my head? I'd be lucky just to throw rounds in their general direction.

I've had a true adrenalin dump on two occasions. My hands were literally bouncing up and down 1". I'd hate to try to make a long pistol shot with that much adrenalin.

A successful headshot with a service pistol in that situation? For me, that would require intervention of the good Lord above, IMNSHO. I'm sure there are some folks who might be able to make that type of shot, but I would not put money down on me making it.

fooped,

very well put. before i started shooting i always wonderd why none of them were able to make a head shot. i now know. i had gone shooting after work one night and was still quite upset my shooting was horrible. then add the conditions these officers had i would have missed a body shot never mind a percision head shot.

I didn't get to read the original "Remember the LA shootout" thread that you mentioned. So, I don't know exactly which side you are on based on your response to that thread you posted here. What I remember about the LA Riots is that, once riots were in full fury, the police deserted the city and left civililians to fend for themselves which is not so brave.

Police have jobs just like everyone else, at the end of the day they want to go home, relax, spend time with the family, and pay the bills, etc. They are not obligated to protect anyone. If they have a choice between getting shot at by rioting crowds or going home early, the greater majority of them will go home.

The police deserted the city and civilians during the LA Riots. Don't forget history. The retail stores protected by civilian owners who had firearms were not burned and looted. Those retail store owners who didn't have firearms most likely found their store burned and looted.

No offense, but a gun in hand is better than a cop on the phone. ;)

Good day.

I wonder what my obituary on NES would be if I was banned ?

"He was unstable"

"I had him on ignore for about 2 years now"

"His camo'd FAL looked stupid anyway"

" He didn't put gunowners in a positive light"

[smile]

My money's on, "I knew him before he killed all those people."

I didn't get to read the original "Remember the LA shootout" thread that you mentioned. So, I don't know exactly which side you are on based on your response to that thread you posted here. What I remember about the LA Riots is that, once riots were in full fury, the police deserted the city and left civililians to fend for themselves which is not so brave.

Police have jobs just like everyone else, at the end of the day they want to go home, relax, spend time with the family, and pay the bills, etc. They are not obligated to protect anyone. If they have a choice between getting shot at by rioting crowds or going home early, the greater majority of them will go home.

The police deserted the city and civilians during the LA Riots. Don't forget history. The retail stores protected by civilian owners who had firearms were not burned and looted. Those retail store owners who didn't have firearms most likely found their store burned and looted.

No offense, but a gun in hand is better than a cop on the phone. ;)

Good day.

I don't really think this has any relevance to the topic at hand, other than the painfully obvious fact that no police officer wants to rush headlong into a 100% suicidal situation. This is not a "protecting yourself is better than relying on the police" argument in any way.

The North Hollywood robbery took place 5 years after the LA Riots.

"He was unstable"

[smile]

"Aggressively sold bricks on NES..." [rofl]

-Mike

"He was unstable"

[smile]

His avatar scared too many people to death?

Back
Top Bottom