• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Judgemental Course: Comments

I was recently invited to attend the MFS judgemental shooting course on August 20th. The owner, Steve Hathaway, offered me a free slot as a thank you for replacing a couple of Glock firing pins (his simulators are hard on the pins), so consider than when evaluating my review :)

The location and facilities:

MFS is located in an office building in Framingham in what would generally considered Class B (bordering on Class C) office space housing various business such as a driving school and a small law office. That doesn't sound impressive, but when you consider that most gun club classrooms would be "Class D" at best (if there was a class D), it's pretty good. The classroom is a single room with plenty of space for at least a dozen students in a lecture only class, plus an open area to set up their simulator. The place was clean and the A/C worked - what else can one really ask for?

The simulator

The simulator projects scenarios on the wall, and the participant uses a Glock outfitted with a non-visible laser and pneumatic system to power the slide. This works fairly well, although noise and recoil are below that of real ammo and you don't get that nice burnt gunpowder smell. The subjects react when shot, and the instructor can playback the scenario showing exactly where and when each virtual round went. If you are tall (6'), stand a foot or two to the left of center - the system will work just as well as when you stand in the center of the screen but you won't see your shadow in the projection.

The scenarios

The scenarios are pretty good, and present interesting challenges - but you can obviously only run through a scenario once since the surprise factor is what makes it work. The system is marketed primarily to LE agencies, so the most of the scenarios are oriented towards police situations. A few of the "off duty" scenario simulated situations with a more civilian flavor. The weakness of some of the simulations is that one is always in "engage" mode, and you'll find yourself in simulated situations you would have headed away from, rather than towards.

The system provides some very interesting learning opportunities. No one in the class put in an error-free performance, and everyone learned something.

The library of scenarios is large enough that everyone was able to watch all attendees shoot their scenarios, but no scenario was repeated - so everyone got the surprise factor.

The instructor

I categories shooting school instructors into three categories:

1. Experienced operators, also known as grizzled veterans of the mean streets. These folks have, at minimum, been paid to carry a gun in either a police or military context.
  2. Pseudo-operators: People who present the persona of a tactical operator, are vague about their background and imply they are some sort of operator, but when you press find out they have no real-world tactical experience. Even so, some of these people are excellent instructors and have much to offer provided you don't require "war stories" as part of the classroom experience.
  3. Non-operators who do not make any effort to present the image of a been there, done that combat/swat operator.
I categories Steve into #3 above. He's not an experienced LEO, but he has learned what is necessary to teach the basic intro courses and doesn't try to imply that you will be spending the evening with a tactical guru. His comment to me about the judgmental shooting class is that "the system does the teaching". He's right - it's not about the intro lecture. While presented competently, the intro lecture didn't really contain anything that 90% of the NES'ers already know. Anyone who runs through the simulator for a few runs will probably find the experience enlightening, and give you a few things to think about. Don't go in expecting to run through it without making errors - expect to get killed; kill someone you shouldn't; or let someone else get killed. The scenarios range from the basic to the unwinnable. I expect everyone from the new gun owner to the person who has been carrying for years will get something out of the class.

MFS Scenarios

Steve mentioned that they will probably be filming their own additions to the simulator library. This will be a definite enhancement, as it will enable him to offer scenarios that are more in tune with the type of situation non-police could encounter. I just hope I get an invite to be an character in some of these once he starts filming.

Last edited:
Nice write up. I got a chance to run through a few scenarios there as well and am looking forward to a more extensive training session there. Highly recommended training!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the class back in April (I think). Great Course. Very interesting, informative and fun. Well worth the money if you think about how many (simulated) rounds you fire, being able to evaluate the scenario after wards and trying to make a derision to shoot under (light) stress. You can't get this kind of thing by just going to the range with your carry pistol. My one suggestion: bring a holster that can hold a compact Glock (19/23) to give you a change to do a little practice drawing from a holster.

Back
Top Bottom