Concealed Carry II ===Course Review

TUGINSTRUCTOR

NES Member
In January myself and 2 good friends attended the Concealed Carry II course. Instructor was a current active LEO and SWAT team member, who goes by the nick name of Mac.

All three of us enjoyed the course and it meet our training needs as all three of us are at different levels.

10 people attended the course in total, which I feel is the max number of students due to the current physical properties of the range facility and "timing" to get everyone through the required live fire exercises in the curriculum.

Classroom was good, desks and chairs comfortable, powerpoint on subject matter was basic but informative. The PPT could use someone who is a graphics designer or who really knows how to create professional PowerPoints for the MFS instructors. Only negative here is, as a school, they should provide small pads and pencils for folks to take notes. Small Notepads would be a good marketing tool also. Instructor did hand out the PowerPoint in note form, (3 PPT's to a page with lines for notes), other courses I have taken here have not had handouts. I teach adults at a professional training school and I am of the philosophy that if you use a PowerPoint, make it a hand out for the students to take notes on, the idea is to pass on information and have the student retain and recall the information latter for re-absorption.

Curriculum is first rate and well presented by Instructor. I have been shooting since I could walk, have had a LTC since 18, (ya, I could get one in NH at 18 back in the 70's), on the college pistol team and like any training if you have an open mind about these things, I STILL LEARNED A LOT! This course is structured for a person who carries concealed with various levels of experience, so I am very supportive of anyone taking this course.

Mac as an Instructor, has the ability to assess his students abilities and adapt his instruction accordingly, this is a key teaching methodology when teaching adults from various experiential backgrounds. He knew how to keep the class serious, yet light hearted, and when to draw the line with a student who may be straying outside of the boundaries of safety and "rein" then in with out insulting them. It is obvious he brings his passion and experience with firearms and blends it with his talented teaching skills to deliver a positive teaching environment to his students.

Course Value, I personally feel the level I course at $100.00 is a good value. Lvl II should be priced at $140.00 with future Lvl III & IV at $175.00 Hey, just my opinion as someone who does pricing for adult continuing education, but I obviously don't know their business plan or budget, but I just observe what similar professional training is for "like" amount of hours.

FUTURE COURSE SUGGESTIONS:
MFS does not offer any Concealed Carry courses above level II. This is a disappointment, I am sure they have enough clients and willing students as incentive to put Concealed Carry III and IV level course on the schedule. I was lead to believe the curriculum is there, the management just needs to "pull the trigger" as they say and get it on the schedule, quickly.

I am suggesting a Carbine Level I and II courses would be very popular also and these should be 8 hour courses.

So how pleased am I in general, well this was my 3rd course at MFS and I am going back for one more in February. Another member of my family will be taking 2 course in February, so yes, I am very satisfied with MFS training.

Nice review.

I assume the price is because its a four hour course with only 10 people. In CC1 they can have 30+ people at 100.. So each class is about $3000.. At 10 people at $175 you are looking at $1750. Plus you are in the range taking up valuable space. Price seems reasonable to me.

How much time was spent in the range vs the classroom?

Nice review.

I assume the price is because its a four hour course with only 10 people. In CC1 they can have 30+ people at 100.. So each class is about $3000.. At 10 people at $175 you are looking at $1750. Plus you are in the range taking up valuable space. Price seems reasonable to me.

How much time was spent in the range vs the classroom?

Thanks cdseven95,
we spent 2 hours in classroom with lecture and dry firing, practicing the basics of good draw and re-holster techniques, range commands etc. Then 2 hours on range, expensing about 150 rounds.

Did you feel safe in the range? The reason I ask is 150 rounds X 10 people = 1500 rounds being fired.

I personally felt completely safe. The instructor's oversight skills in combination with the range rules and the way we used the range by keeping the students between him and down range position, maintained his ability to always "see" who was doing what with the pistols while they (pistols) were loaded, pointed down range and "hot".

Back
Top Bottom