Joining the 10/22 Building Group.

Well, I had to do the same thing... I've just wanted a sick 10/22 for a long time. I have several, but never done anything fun with them...so here's mine.

It started out as a cheapo Bass Pro Special 10/22 for 170 bucks...

700 dollars later...I'm proud to show this off.

Fajen Monte Cristo Stock
Butler Creek bull Barrel
Harris swivel bipod
Nikon BDC 3-9x40 scope

10-22002.jpg

10-22005.jpg

10-22004.jpg

10-22006.jpg

10-22010.jpg

Now, I need to get a new extractor, charging rod, and trigger.

But I put 500 rounds through it today, and it's a FREAKING TACK DRIVER!!

It was putting groups inside a dime. I did a rapid fire of 25 shots and it all sayed in a group about 3 or so inches.

I LOVE THIS RIFLE!

Now I want to build another one!

The safety was turned. Stoney Pete showed up with some brass punches and we were able to take it apart. Once we could look into the trigger housing, I could see that the safety was installed incorrectly. Once I fixed that, it ran like a dream. Except for the crappy factory trigger.

But I put 500 rounds through it today, and it's a FREAKING TACK DRIVER!!

It was putting groups inside a dime. I did a rapid fire of 25 shots and it all sayed in a group about 3 or so inches.
Cool!

Now... take off the bipod, put on a sling, and see if you can get that same group size. [smile]

It was great shooting with you, Sat. That is a sweet .22.

Cool!

Now... take off the bipod, put on a sling, and see if you can get that same group size. [smile]
Sorry Ross, Sally's (aka C-pher's) hand is numb from shooting his buddy's .357 air weight. He was whinning and crying like a baby.[crying] I bet he's still got ice on it.[smile]

Nice job C-pher. They are fun little plinkers, aren't they.
I built one very similar, but the bi-pod is part of the stock and folds up into it, so it disappears when not in use.

8r.jpg

Nice job C-pher. They are fun little plinkers, aren't they.
I built one very similar, but the bi-pod is part of the stock and folds up into it, so it disappears when not in use.

interesting... never seen one like that.

10/22's are like crack! [laugh]

Yes. Not in MA; the only exemption is tube mags.

Yes, I went back and did some research - found the law as it is written and the only exepmtion was the "attached tubular devices"

"The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition. "

C-pher, I just replaced the stock hammer in my LTR with the Volquartzen hammer. I only installed the hammer and the hammer spring and didn't even bother with the (sear? spring that came with the hammer). The only other thing I did was polish the rough edges off the round end of the hammer strut as suggested in a Rimfire central post. This alone dropped the trigger pull from 6-1/2lbs. to 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 lbs and it was only $28 bucks on sale from Midway!

C-pher, I just replaced the stock hammer in my LTR with the Volquartzen hammer. I only installed the hammer and the hammer spring and didn't even bother with the (sear? spring that came with the hammer). The only other thing I did was polish the rough edges off the round end of the hammer strut as suggested in a Rimfire central post. This alone dropped the trigger pull from 6-1/2lbs. to 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 lbs and it was only $28 bucks on sale from Midway!

Cool, thanks for the tip. I just might have to do this.

Check into the power custom hammer/sear pack. That's what I have in my Atomic Red build and holy jeebus is it a nice trigger. Not the easiest thing in the world to install, but well worth it.

I was going to stone my hammer but didn't like the way it set up in the vise - it's an old unit with over 5K rounds through it.

I polished all the surfaces listed on rimfire central - which I now can't seem to find the post.

I took a red marker and painted the surfaces - mostly so I'd remember which ones to do - and used 180 grit sand paper to start then 220 to finish. I used a very flat surface (machined surface) to lay the paper on. I put the paper over a hole that would allow the paper to curve when I did the arced surface of the hammer. By using the ink as a guide, I only removed enough material to make the surface flat and polish the surface.

Take your time and remember, you aren't trying to remove large amounts of material, just polish the surface - very light pressure and take your time.

The whole process took about an hour, maybe a little more - disassemble, polish, reassemble. Results are well worth the effort. If you're hesitant and would like help, just ask - it really isn't that hard to do.

[edit] found the link - note I only used the info to ID the surfaces to be polished and did not put on a mirror finish as shown
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251177

good luck

Last edited:
Yea, that sounds a lot like what I do when I'm smoothing out my cowboy guns.

Use the stones and oil. Dry, color, work the action, take apart to see where there's still color..and start again. Little bit at a time until all the color is gone.

Back
Top Bottom