Jewish Gun Owners

... Just make sure you are not shooting against my 10 year old, his aim is better than most full grown Jewish guys out there. Myself included.

Is that a comment on the general level of marksmenship among adults in general or Jews specifically? [wink]

Ken

Care to explain for those of us who are not Jewish?

Because for the life of me I truly cannot comprehend those trends given the history of the Jewish people in the 20th century.

I'm saying there must be a reason. I cannot seem to figure it out myself. I have my own theories, but care not to share them here.

Perhaps one of the Jewish gunowners on our site can shed some additional light on that. I'd also like to know how the rest of their family treats their gun ownership.

My mom is a physician in public health, and she regards guns in the house as a health hazard, nothing more.

My dad, who served in WWII, is kind of ambivalent about them. He thinks its a useful skill to have, but why waste time making holes in things.

I'd also like to know how the rest of their family treats their gun ownership.
Well, my sister thinks that I'm "opening myself up to the path of violence"; that's a direct quote. My mother was pretty nervous for about 25 years about it, but I got her to go shooting with me this spring. [devil] So she now understands that they're not like the One Ring, and don't emit a magic force that will turn me Evil. [rolleyes] My brother doesn't care one way or the other, I think... but then he shot rifle in camp and hasn't shot since, AFAIK.

My niece and nephew love to go shooting with me, and two of my cousins are in the military. Most of my cousins are split - my mother's side thinks they're eeevil (except for my nutty cousin Mark, but he's into Civil War history, so there's an explanation, I guess) and my father's side shoots.

Which is why doctors should never be in charge of making laws or policy decisions.

+1. The is whole "public health" thing is just a scam for do gooder doctors to stick their noses in to policy matters. The plain truth is that public health laws were enacted to protect the public from communicable diseases such as Tuberculosis, Cholera, Measles, and even Leprosy. Not from the perils of not wearing seatbelts, helmets, owning guns, or other nanny state concerns.

Gary

Which is why doctors should never be in charge of making laws or policy decisions.

I'm married to one and I agree. Lots of good intentions but we all know where that road can lead. She does not like guns, but it has more to do with her not having any positive exposure to them. She did some of her schooling in the Bronx and they had lots of people come in with gunshot wounds.

I don't really care if she doesn't like them, as long as she isn't rude or mean about not liking them. It started out a little that way, but I put the kybosh on that one. She has agreed to take a Home Firearm Safety Class and we even had a good talk about the politics of making gun control it into a public health issue. She even understands some of the economic theory of how even non gun owners benefit from lower crime in an armed community.

B

+1. The is whole "public health" thing is just a scam for do gooder doctors to stick their noses in to policy matters. The plain truth is that public health laws were enacted to protect the public from communicable diseases such as Tuberculosis, Cholera, Measles, and even Leprosy. Not from the perils of not wearing seatbelts, helmets, owning guns, or other nanny state concerns.

Gary

The public health people are also on the front line of social issues that nobody else wants to deal with such as mental illness , child abuse, and domestic violence, which show up as medical issues in the schools and community. My mother has some horrific stories to tell.

Like trying to save a child from a parent who is a violent abuser and also is a lawyer.

Or the parents who want their severely disabled child who is in basically a vegetative state to be placed in the public school classroom with the regular students.

It's a thankless job.

The public health people are also on the front line of social issues that nobody else wants to deal with such as mental illness , child abuse, and domestic violence, which show up as medical issues in the schools and community. My mother has some horrific stories to tell.

Like trying to save a child from a parent who is a violent abuser and also is a lawyer.

Or the parents who want their severely disabled child who is in basically a vegetative state to be placed in the public school classroom with the regular students.

It's a thankless job.
None of those things are even remotely related to public health.

Last time I checked, district attorneys everywhere are plenty interested in child abusers and wife beaters.

As for the retard in a regular classroom, that is a matter for the local school district to sort out. The CDC does not need to get involved.

Like I said, MDs should stick to one thing: practicing medicine. They would find less hostility if they did so.

See if you can convince your anti-gun spouses to attend and watch a Cowboy shooting match and then talk to the women that are there. It eliminates the "self-defense" or "military" aspect of guns that many libs find distasteful and demonstrates the recreational, fun aspect of guns as not being evil.

Thanks to you guys who gave some insight on your families. It is interesting to note how "vilified" you may be in your family because of gun ownership. And believe me, the Jews have no monopoly on the guilt market. They share their expertise with my Irish mother in law!!!!

I won my war through attrition. I told my wife should have picked the Air Force to find herself a husband

It's a thankless job.

But these are NOT public health issues although the "advocates" will try to convince us otherwise. They may be, no, are, public safety issues and social service issues. The emphatically are NOT public health issues.

Gary

Just received an Email ad from a company in Israel that I've done business with, www.zahal.org and the picture in the newsletter was just too good not to share. Looks like it might be a painting, but if it was real, I'd love to buy one (assuming the price was reasonable), just to freak out my Jewish friends and relatives. [shocked] [devil]

See picture below.

Dear friends,
The Jewish world will celebrate the annual festival of Hanukkah in exactly four weeks. On the eve of the 25th of Kislev, 5768 (4th December 2007) we will light the first candle of Hanukkah. The eight days of Hanukkah are commemorating the victory of the Jews over the armies of the Syrians. The rebellion, begun by Mattathias Maccabee and continued by his son Judah and his brothers, ended in a resounding victory of the "few against the many" and the rededication of the Temple.
This was not the last war of Independence of the Jewish people and it happened 2172 years ago. The war of the sons of light against the sons of darkness has not ended yet. The lights of the Hanukkah Menorah illuminate the darkness and remind us that we still have to fight against the forces of evil and always be victorious
Happy Hanukkah!

Your Zahal Team, Israel

Last edited:
Taking a safety class, and going to the range a few times ought to really show the reality is a lot different from the abstract idea of a gun.

I don't think this will help very much, but in my experience, the fastest way to convert a wife (or modern equivalent) who is either anti-gun or ambivalent on the subject is to find yourself (hopefully armed) in a situation where, but for being armed, she would suffer some really nasty consequences. Worked wonders in my case.

There is an earlier thread where a number of people recited similar experiences. I haven't a clule as to what you would search on.

It's a thankless job.
The more I read this the more pissed off I get at the underlying arrogance at work here.

i would take her somewhere that people are shooting and having fun! take her to a trap or skeet range, or to a pin match or something similar to show her its not just for "killing innocent people" and theres many other uses for firearms.

make sure you know where your bringer her...not to some place where idiots are going to be acting immature. i would go with the skeet shooting or something.

woburns ( http://www.massrifle.com/ ) had a womens shoot where women got to shoot all diffrent guns and get gifts and everything...my g/f had to work or else i would have insisted on it.
im not sure if there doing it again but i would call them, ask for paul ferrizanni, hes a nice guy down there.

my 2 cents.

+1 for being jewish and a gun owner/nut/fanatic - whatever you want to call it. Wife doesn't have any issues with my "collection" since she doesn't know what everything costs. I always get the "please don't buy another gun" when I venture off to a shop but at the same time, has no problem with the loaded .40 in my night stand - so I can't complain. [smile]

[laugh2]
My wife felt the same way before she actually took the class and got her LTC. She shoots all the time with me now and is a crack shot with here pistol.

If you get her to the range, suggest that she button the shirt up a ways. Nothing turns a woman off quicker than getting a hot cartridge down the bra. They get over it but she shot rifle for awhile.[laugh2]

1. Why are so many Jews liberal (and therefore anti-2):

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0406/prager042506.php3

2. I've come to the conclusion that any post-Holocaust Jew who is actively anti self-defense is either ignorant or delusional. (Didn't someone famous describe liberalism (modern) as a mental disorder?)

How can you square "Never Again" with " Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., on CBS "60 Minutes": "If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them -- Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in -- I would have done it." [puke2]

3. Do not give up. My lovely wife, who is Jewish and was anti before we met (is still Jewish) now outshoots me at the pistol range. Actually I shouldn't say "now" becuase she seems to have a natural talent and has outshot me since her first outing. [smile]

Gun ownership should not make anybody cuck their hazen. Just be careful so as not to blow a luntzman's gedirum off, unless he's a gunif
who means to do harm to your little shena keppelah.

Back
Top Bottom