• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Jericho, VT Appleseed Oct 20-21, 2007

http://www.rwva.org/yabbse/index.php?topic=3542

Want to get some quality training from some of your friends? Come join Nickle and Crak for a good weekend, at a range that is 600 yard capable. We may not shoot at 600, but we may at 400 yards.

Range: Ethan Allen Firing Range, VT Army National Guard

Address: ETHAN ALLEN TRAINING SITE
VERMONT ARMY NATIONAL GUARD
113 ETHAN ALLEN ROAD
JERICHO, VERMONT 05465-9706

Website: No public website. Details may be seen at http://www.rwva.org/yabbse/index.php?board=119.0

Range Fee: None (RWVA fee is $70 for weekend, $40 for one day, 20 and under free, current military active/reservist free)

Camping Available: Yes, Primitive. Cost should be free.

Hotels: Yes, numerous, check Burlington, VT listings

Directions: Coming soon

State Laws to be aware of: (Disclaimer: we attempt to tell you the most important ones, mag size etc. but you are required to check for yourself) No silencers are allowed in VT. Loaded rifles and shotguns are not allowed in vehicles.

Range Rules: No loaded firearms on the range unless on the firing line and load command has been given. Numerous other rules, TBA in the Safety Briefing. 25 mph speed limit on facility

Misc:

Who to contact for more information: Nickle, [email protected] or PM Nickle or Crak right here at NES.

Link to Register: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/

Mods, please sticky this until 22 October.

Disney will be there a few weeks later, my friend, but this is a chance to reap the benefits of generations of Riflemen's knowledge.

You will not find better, more affordable marksmanship training, period.
This is suitable for all skill-levels. Are you an expert? Great, here's a chance to get even better.
Are you a total noob? Great, Appleseed is an IDEAL opportunity to learn how to shoot SAFELY and EFFECTIVELY.

Cost? A mere $45 for the 1st day OR $70 for both days. Under 21 shoots FREE! So do active military, Guard, and Reserve.
If you can find a better deal than that, I'd like to know about it.

But my $$$$ won't be there later, as reservations are already made [sad]. And I do know what I'm missing, as I was at the Hartford, CT Appleseed.

Think I'll pass on the info to my nephew, though, and offer to let him use my rifle if he hasn't gotten one already. Since his mother lives in the Burlington area, he'll only have pay for ammo and admission.

The whole weekend won't be at 400. Most of saturday will be spent at 25 because that's the easiest way to get all those basics sorted out. Depending on how the group is progressing, Sunday is usually the day the full-size targets go up on the full distance ranges.

I've also seen it done where depending on the way the range is set up and the number of shooters/instructors, the group gets split up according to ability. Some people go early to the full distance, or some people stick around at the 25 yard line. Don't know how EAFR is set up so that may or may not be feasible there.

Either way, .22s are still useful for a good chunk of the weekend and will just about pay the whole weekend's fee in ammo savings in that one day of shooting. Of course you probably won't find out if you're flinching. [smile]

I was just at Ethan Allen this past weekend. They have firing points at 100, 200, 300, 500 (just seeded), and 600 yds. I don't remember seeing one at 400, but then again, I never really look for one at 400, so it might be there, I just missed it.
Probably the most scenic range in the Northeast. Watch out for the geese. Enjoy!

Either way, .22s are still useful for a good chunk of the weekend and will just about pay the whole weekend's fee in ammo savings in that one day of shooting. Of course you probably won't find out if you're flinching. [smile]

I guess this would be a case where a Ciener or similar .22 conversion for an AR would come in handy.

Ross, don't worry, it probably won't be the only Appleseed in New England for the rest of the year. We're working on one at Proctor, down by Rutland.

If Liz wants to go to EAFR, I can help make that happen for her. If she isn't 18 yet, she will need parental permission. We should be able to find something for her to use, like a certain AR she just happens to like.

Jon, many folks transition between a .22 and a 7.62 such as the M1A. I saw that this past weekend at Van Etten.

many folks transition between a .22 and a 7.62 such as the M1A.
+1 to that. I like to use my .22 at the 25m stages, then 'step up' to Mr Garand's creation for 100yd+ shots. Helps save $, too!

A 600 yard range is wasted on the Average Person. It would have been wasted on Yours Truly until the friendly folks at the Appleseed Project's home range shared their knowledge with me.

Is there an appleseed website? I know there have been many posts on NES about appleseed and equipement suggestions which I will refer to.

Can we use a .22 for the 25yd. range and if the opportunity arises, switch to an AR for the longer ranges? What about rain days? Will we shoot anyway?

Nickle I would really like to make it to an Appleseed shoot sometime soon. You, however mentioned there may be one in Rutland sometime soon. How likely is this and any idea what the dates may be?

I'm very excited about this, but the timing may not be right.

Last edited:
RWVA.org turned into more of a politics site. Appleseedinfo.org is the place to get your appleseed on now.

Hey! We got a new forum. Thanks Derek.

AppleseedInfo

AppleseedInfo Forum

Some malcontents within the program decided to split the forum up by creating heartburn amongst the members and mostly, amongst the Instructors. We're much stronger now.

Neptune Cat, we not only allow using the .22 at 25 meters, we RECOMMEND it. Make sure to bring the AR as well.

If you come to Jericho, you WILL want something that can shoot to 400 yards, at least. We're looking at getting the shooters that are doing well to try their hand at 600 YARDS at the close on Sunday.

Rain? We shoot. Snow? We shoot.

As to the event in the Rutland area, we held that one last month.

We will be running several events in the area next year, including Mass, CT, VT, NY, ME and, if we can get a range, NH.

Actually, one of our guys just moved into NH. I'm going to give him a buzz about holding another appleseed there.

Ride share?

Anyone from the central MA area (Marlborough) heading up to the event and want to carpool? I'll be in CO Thursday for work but until I talk to the others going and determine when we're heading back I can't set a specific time, but I intend to head up Friday and come back Sunday. I can either drive or pay half gas (or whatever ratio of people we have). I can probably take 1-2 people comfortably.

/Jason

Hey, Bro - I think that my M1 Carbine, Veronica, needs a ride up there so my niece can use it. [wink] Think you can spare room for an M1 and a couple of boxes of ammo?

wow, what a weekend!

Great range, great company, great training!

I'll post some pics (pretty bad) tommorrow.
My cheap-o camera doesn't do the scenery justice.................

The prettiest range in the country-

CNXT0023.jpg

Working the line

CNXT0014.jpg

Down the firing line.........

CNXT0012.jpg

Last edited:
That was an awesome range; not just because of the 600 yard range, but also because of the views. I hope there is another one there next year.

Back
Top Bottom