JACKETED VS UNJACKETED

Hi everyone, I have a membership pending with Lowell Sportsmans club but I recently found out that they do not allow jacketed rounds in their indoor range. Can someone tell me what the diff is between jacketed and unjacketed rounds? Do the unjacketed bullets foul up your guns over time? If this is the case I am gonna pull my application out of Lowell and look into joining Westford. Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I am new to all of this.

Hi everyone, I have a membership pending with Lowell Sportsmans club but I recently found out that they do not allow jacketed rounds in their indoor range. Can someone tell me what the diff is between jacketed and unjacketed rounds? Do the unjacketed bullets foul up your guns over time? If this is the case I am gonna pull my application out of Lowell and look into joining Westford. Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I am new to all of this.

The jackets [wink]

Lead rounds tend to foul your barrel faster then jacketed or plated bullets will. The range may be worried about the bullet's jacket hurting someone, they may be worried about equipment being damaged by solid rounds, steel core rounds or several other things.

Not all ranges require lead bullets you could check around for yourself. I've never shot in a range that required lead only but that filtering might have been done for me, as I shoot USPSA and IDPA. Where you choose to shoot is up to you.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I would not hesitate to shoot good quality lead bullets in any of my handguns in fear that it will foul up faster. I would however join another club if you want to shoot a lot indoors. That way you can practice with carry ammo and whatever else you can get your hands on.

I would find a place that allows jacketed. Finding lead bullets can be a pain in these parts because we don't have any options for getting ammo shipped.

It kind of depends on the caliber/s you are going to be shooting. .22 rimfire lead bullets are not an issue at all in terms of availability. Ditto .38 special. 9mm, .40 and to a lesser degree .45 can be spotty to find with lead bullets.
However, if you have any kind of interest in reloading, you now have a great reason to start.

I would not hesitate to shoot good quality lead bullets in any of my handguns in fear that it will foul up faster. I would however join another club if you want to shoot a lot indoors. That way you can practice with carry ammo and whatever else you can get your hands on.
I don't like shooting lead bullets myself and am more than willing to pay extra for plated bullets. Part of my dislike of lead is the lead build up we've discussed, part is the extra smoke that lubed lead bullets produce (particularly while indoors) and part is the worry of the lead itself, both in the air and from handling it.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom