grams vs grains argument

At work yesterday, and my boss and I were trying to figure out what grams and grains measured. I thought grains measure powder capacity, and grams were for the bullet-he said otherwise. Almighty forum which is right?

Neither of you. Grains and grams are 2 distinct weight measurements. Grains are used for both bullet weight and powder charge, but could theoretically be used for weighing anything and could be converted to grams if you wanted. Grain, as a measurement is just another part of the archaic imperial system of weights and measures in which things were given a value based on their relativity to some commodity, in this case referring to a single grain of barley.

You'll have to look up the source of the measures, but in practical terms using the standard (avoirdupois) pound (16 ounces = one pound):
one pound = 454 grams = 7000 grains.
Some ammo makers do list bullet weights in grams, but I see grains used more commonly.
Be sure you use grains when using an electronic scale with setting for grains, grams, carats, ounces, etc. Seems there was one fella that was charging cases with powder charges in carats on this site awhile back...?

Last edited:
To be accurate, grams is a measure of mass and grains is a measure of weight (the force exerted on a mass by gravity)

But that's just nitpicking. The distinction is only important away from earth.

Last edited:
What they said. Think of it like carats: just a regular unit of mass (yes, grains are weight) that is traditionally used for some very specific purposes.

Back when I first started reloading with my Dad he said the grain or Troy Grain had a specfic
unit of measurement with mass or some shit memory is something like 60 milligrams? You math people will know more. When I asked why they use it his reply " I dont decide that stuff they say 5 grains in those 38 reloads you use that scale that is for grains and put 5grains in and you will be ok"

The Grain is an old apothecary's measure. Ever wonder why most meds are 100/200/500 mg, but aspirin is 325 mg? That's ~5 grains. Since Aspirin is such an old med, the dosage was kept the same, and the "new" SI unit was pasted on. The rest of the meds are newer, and are in the SI stable.

Since gun stuff has to have a lot of "backwards compatibility", grains as measurement for powder and bullet weight (and inches for caliber) are likely to remain for a long time.

Hell, it's only in the last few years that "Dram Eq." data has started to vanish from shotshell boxes....and it's been 100+ since they switched to the newfangled smokeless powder.

The Grain is an old apothecary's measure. Ever wonder why most meds are 100/200/500 mg, but aspirin is 325 mg? That's ~5 grains. Since Aspirin is such an old med, the dosage was kept the same, and the "new" SI unit was pasted on. The rest of the meds are newer, and are in the SI stable.

Since gun stuff has to have a lot of "backwards compatibility", grains as measurement for powder and bullet weight (and inches for caliber) are likely to remain for a long time.

Hell, it's only in the last few years that "Dram Eq." data has started to vanish from shotshell boxes....and it's been 100+ since they switched to the newfangled smokeless powder.

God don't bring dram into it......

Back
Top Bottom