Green Tips vs. Hard Drives. Hard Drives Win.

Found via TFB, a video by Taofledermaus, pitting M855 against an array of retired hard drives.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should do this against a 50 BMG.

Lol, you're new here.... one of our original "old school" members jamz, (have no idea where he went) made this video... shooting starts at 2:40ish

Lol, you're new here.... one of our original "old school" members jamz, (have no idea where he went) made this video... shooting starts at 2:40ish

That's hilarious. Too bad about the tail light. That gun sends out destruction in all directions...lol

I have a few 15,000 RPM drives, I've been meaning to bring a couple of them out to the range along with a set of jumper cables, spin them up before shooting.

I'd use something with a bit more energy than 22LR.

I have a few 15,000 RPM drives, I've been meaning to bring a couple of them out to the range along with a set of jumper cables, spin them up before shooting.

I'd use something with a bit more energy than 22LR.

I've probably shot at least 50+ hard drives over the years. Best by far was hitting one on its side with the M1 Garand I had at the time. Cover flew off, platters flew into the air like 30 feet at an angle and sailed into the woods, and all that was left on the ground was chunks of the HDA. That was pretty epic, I wish I had film of it.

-Mike

I shot up some old drives the other day. One of them was just getting dented with .45 auto, but my AK SBR took care of it.

I've got a GoPro and a fair number of drives, do you have a range that is okay with this?

I just went over the rules for each of our ranges, unfortunately we are not allowed to shoot anything that will leave debris at my home range. The only exception is biodegradable clays.

Larger drives also have more platters and could affect these tests too. Ever pick up a 80GB drive vs a 2TB or larger? Huge difference. I have a 2TB sitting at home waiting to be blasted at some point.

Larger drives also have more platters and could affect these tests too. Ever pick up a 80GB drive vs a 2TB or larger? Huge difference. I have a 2TB sitting at home waiting to be blasted at some point.
Some of the old ones had 6 or 8 platters. The higher quality drives tend to have more platters.

Back
Top Bottom