Iwo Jima anniversary today

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
My late FIL was a Marine at Iwo. He was friends with the guys who did the flag raising. RIP, Larry.
The real (first) raising of the flag (the small one), or the second raising of the large flag that was staged later for the photo op? Only reason that I ask is that a late member of Braintree R&P was amongst that first group. I learned this from some of the Vets who sit around drinking coffee and shooting the bull at the club daily. The referenced member had moved North before I became a member so I never had the honor of meeting him.

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The real (first) raising of the flag (the small one), or the second raising of the large flag that was staged later for the photo op?
Neither of those photos were staged.

Facts on the Iwo Jima Flag Raising
The controversy stems from a moment of confusion—you see, Rosenthal wasn’t entirely sure that he had captured the flag raising moment, so afterward, he asked the group of men to pose for a picture beneath the flying stars and stripes. He referred to this as the “Gung Ho” picture. When people saw the picture in the newspapers and congratulated him, Rosenthal assumed the papers had picked up the “Gung Ho” shot, and freely said that he had posed the soldiers for the photo. It wasn’t until later that he realized which photo had become a national sensation. He spent the rest of his life denying that he had staged the flag-raising shot.
Sgt. Bill Genaust (later KIA) had been with Rosenthal at the time of the second flag-raising and filmed it.
His film proved that Rosenthal had not staged the picture.

lowbuckbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
The real (first) raising of the flag (the small one), or the second raising of the large flag that was staged later for the photo op? Only reason that I ask is that a late member of Braintree R&P was amongst that first group. I learned this from some of the Vets who sit around drinking coffee and shooting the bull at the club daily. The referenced member had moved North before I became a member so I never had the honor of meeting him.
The first raising - small one.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Iwo Jima Marines. Talk about setting the bar high. Outstanding behavior.
I knew Russ from way back. I knew he was an Iwo Marine. I was driving a 1968 Fairlane 500 GT with a 4 speed. I blew the clutch driving from USN Philly to Boston for a weekend pass. I drove that SOB over 300miles with no clutch. I picked up the clutch and Pressure Plate and drove it to the ramp behind the local Fire Station where Russ worked, my dad, his senior officer had said that Russ had offered to help.

I got everything disconnected and was trying to get the trans out of the bell housing when Russ said, come on out kid, I'll get it. He slid in where I was, pulled the trans out, laid it on his chest and rolled out from beneath the car. He handed it to me and one of my friends, stood up, spit, and said, let me know when you are ready to put it back in and went inside for coffee.

Some years later, just before I got on the FD, my dad was training officer for the department and would frequently go to multiple alarm fires for additional supervision as well as documenting fire ground experiences to be taught in the classroom later. Russ worked the Rescue squad and was always first in for search and rescue. Dad had told me that Russ was an Iwo Marine and still carried some metal in his chest from that time.

I was sitting on the rear step of the Rescue Squad with a good view of the fire ground. Russ came walking up, pulling his mask off his face, totally immersed in sweat and water from the hoses, after dropping a youngster off at an ambulance with 2 EMT's working on the kid.

Just before he got to where I was sitting, he puked, blew his nose with a finger on each side and said, "Hi Kid."

I asked him if he was ok, thinking I could get him some O2 or water.... and He replied, "Piece of cake kid." That was Russ.

I just read a quote from a book about behind the lines So Pac operations. It involves a Marine Capt. from the Rangers who was first into an Island held by the Japanese and had spent two months living off the jungle, stealing rations and fighting guerilla operations. He had received radio notification of a submarine resupply mission and met the fist rubber boat to find a Major USMC Ranger in that boat. After fast paced introductions the Major told the Capt. to get in the boat and return to the sub. The Capt. wanted to stay on the island.

"Captain, when a superior officer gives you an order, what is the appropriate response?"

"Aye Aye Sir!."

"Then get in the damned boat!"

"Aye Aye Sir. Sir." Unslinging his M1 Carbine and handing it over to the Major, "Sir, round in the chamber, safety is on."

I have used that on a number of occasions, "Round in the chamber, safety on." It's a lot better than, "Round in the chamber and safety OFF!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom