• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I've been thinking of an M1A

its been ordered - Scout Squad with walnut stock. I hope to see it by the weekend. I plan to keep the iron sights only. The GI sling will be ordered soon too.

Nice!

Do you reload yet? If not you'll want to start researching that right now [laugh]

Go for it.

And also join the M14 Forum (www.m14forum.com) for more specific information.

Great forum. Definitely worth joining.

The M1A was the first rifle in a "real" caliber I bought. Got it just after reading Boston's Gun Bible because he really liked it after comparing it and the FAL back to back. It's expensive to feed - and it does beat you up a bit if you do a lot of shooting ( I took it to my first Appleseed and was pretty tired at the end of that first day - took the AR the next time) - but it's still a great rifle.

If you're going to invest in an M1A / M14 there's a number of options out there - LRB Arms makes a forged receiver - I don't know that the Springfield M1A still uses a forged receiver. http://www.lrbarms.com/

There's also the slight deviation from the M14 that Shuff's Parkerizing offers - which is a Garand mag fed conversion: http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/mag-fed-garand/

its been ordered - Scout Squad with walnut stock. I hope to see it by the weekend. I plan to keep the iron sights only. The GI sling will be ordered soon too.

Congrats! I use only iron sights on my NM and its a tack driver! The walnut stocks on them are beautiful! You'll love it. If not, you can give it to me!

Great forum. Definitely worth joining.

The M1A was the first rifle in a "real" caliber I bought. Got it just after reading Boston's Gun Bible because he really liked it after comparing it and the FAL back to back. It's expensive to feed - and it does beat you up a bit if you do a lot of shooting ( I took it to my first Appleseed and was pretty tired at the end of that first day - took the AR the next time) - but it's still a great rifle.

If you're going to invest in an M1A / M14 there's a number of options out there - LRB Arms makes a forged receiver - I don't know that the Springfield M1A still uses a forged receiver. http://www.lrbarms.com/

There's also the slight deviation from the M14 that Shuff's Parkerizing offers - which is a Garand mag fed conversion: http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/mag-fed-garand/

My understanding is that the M1A receiver is investment cast in Korea (older Springfield M1As may have been forged). I'm no expert, but I'm not too worried about the difference.

As for the mag fed Garand, it's certainly cool but I don't quite get the point. I'd rather have an M1A/M14 for the relatively easy availability of parts.

If I hit the lottery, I'd build a NM M14 on one of the LRB M25 receivers (has built in scope rail) but one of those receivers from Rock-Ola or from New Guy's link is tempting.

My understanding is that the M1A receiver is investment cast in Korea (older Springfield M1As may have been forged). I'm no expert, but I'm not too worried about the difference.

As for the mag fed Garand, it's certainly cool but I don't quite get the point. I'd rather have an M1A/M14 for the relatively easy availability of parts.

If I hit the lottery, I'd build a NM M14 on one of the LRB M25 receivers (has built in scope rail) but one of those receivers from Rock-Ola or from New Guy's link is tempting.

At one point I could recall all of this stuff from memory - but yes, I believe the current crop of M1A receivers are cast. Some of the older ones had forged receivers - I don't really recall the history behind that , but if you do some digging the info is out there. I think Boston's Gun Bible - a great read entirely besides the M1A/M14 content - had some background on the lineage of these rifles.

Yeah - the mag fed Garand is sort of a "why?" - other than for the fact that he can. I would prefer to have a mag fed Garand in 30.06 - now that would be cool. But there really aren't any mags out there for 30.06 that can be used.

If you've got a boner for an M1a - I'd say go for it. But if you're investing in a rifle in .308 - and it's going to be your only one - I'd say take a look at the FAL's too. I have a couple of them - and they're pretty nice to shoot - I actually like them a little better than the M1a - most of the time.

At one point I could recall all of this stuff from memory - but yes, I believe the current crop of M1A receivers are cast. Some of the older ones had forged receivers - I don't really recall the history behind that , but if you do some digging the info is out there. I think Boston's Gun Bible - a great read entirely besides the M1A/M14 content - had some background on the lineage of these rifles.

Yeah - the mag fed Garand is sort of a "why?" - other than for the fact that he can. I would prefer to have a mag fed Garand in 30.06 - now that would be cool. But there really aren't any mags out there for 30.06 that can be used.

If you've got a boner for an M1a - I'd say go for it. But if you're investing in a rifle in .308 - and it's going to be your only one - I'd say take a look at the FAL's too. I have a couple of them - and they're pretty nice to shoot - I actually like them a little better than the M1a - most of the time.

Does the FAL have a fluted chamber, or am I thinking of the G3 type?

All Springfield M1A receivers are cast and always have been. 7.62MM Firearms is currently having major issues getting their 4th gen, forged receiver, correct and their customer service is horrible. They are trying to dig out of a huge PR hole. New Guy got a good 1st gen before 7.62mm imploded.

The Fulton receivers are also investment cast and I would argue they are better than current Springfields.

Early reports indicate that the new Rock-Ola forged receiver is on par with LRB. The new SEI... who knows. People have been waiting for over a year.

James River did it right. They worked on their product without leaking any info or taking 'pre-orders' until they had viable units in stock. They use the same forge as 7.62mm but do their machining in house. On previous JRA builds they used 'branded' LRB receivers. I hear they are currently using the LRB bolts in their builds.

For forums, I much prefer TeamM14.com . Far less drama, no keyboard commandos, AND a new thread discussing corrections needed on many Springfield receivers by a friend who knows his way around the platform better than most.

Last edited:
All Springfield M1A receivers are cast and always have been. 7.62MM Firearms is currently having major issues getting their 4th gen, forged receiver, correct and their customer service is horrible. They are trying to dig out of a huge PR hole. New Guy got a good 1st gen before 7.62mm imploded.

I knew they were having trouble lately but I didn't realize it had gotten that bad. Oh well - I'm happy with mine.

Ive had the itch too. But fate seems to keep them out of reach...
I may be moving the MD soon, and they recently banned the M1A by name (and 100% clones). Ive heard that M14s has some metric parts, so it doesnt share clone status (legally).

By definition are M1As only the Springfield Manufacture? What are other manufactured rifles called? M14s or something like that? Or is M14s restricted to Norinco too?

Last edited:
I knew they were having trouble lately but I didn't realize it had gotten that bad. Oh well - I'm happy with mine.

Yeah, yours is good. After the first batch things went to hell. They actually sent a customer a 4th gen receiver that had no op-rod track, claimed it was a simple shipping error or a factory defect and 'his' new receiver would be shipped once the defective one was returned. Well, over a month after it was returned, still no new receiver and no communications returned. I'd like to see them get it right...the more the merrier is better for consumers.

I may be moving the MD soon, and they recently banned the M1A by name (and 100% clones). Ive heard that M14s has some metric parts, so it doesnt share clone status (legally).

By definition are M1As only the Springfield Manufacture? What are other manufactured rifles called? M14s or something like that? Or is M14s restricted to Norinco too?

'M1A' is a trade mark of Springfield Armory Inc. All others use some form of 'M14'... example, the new Rock-ola is M14F, LRB uses M14SA, etc.

LRB is doing a limited run of 'T44E4' marked receivers.

Last edited:

As Sweeney said, "M1A" means it's Springfield and nobody else. I'm not sure what you mean by "M14s has some metric parts".

Sweeney, thanks for the info. FWIW, I've been reading some unflattering stuff on SEI recently.

I have an Springfield M1A from about 1997. Walnut stock and NM barrel. Shoots like a dream open iron is very accurate and put a scope on it and it's nasty. The only issue is with the scope mount. Even with a Springfield mount I always wonder about that one screw holding it in. I cannot speak to the new ones but if you like M1 Garands and M1 Carbines, it will be a VERY familiar weapon to you.

I have an Springfield M1A from about 1997. Walnut stock and NM barrel. Shoots like a dream open iron is very accurate and put a scope on it and it's nasty. The only issue is with the scope mount. Even with a Springfield mount I always wonder about that one screw holding it in. I cannot speak to the new ones but if you like M1 Garands and M1 Carbines, it will be a VERY familiar weapon to you.

There's a thread on M1A/M14 scope mounts here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/201514-Scope-for-M1A?highlight=M1a+scope+mount

In short, choose wisely.

Sweeney, thanks for the info. FWIW, I've been reading some unflattering stuff on SEI recently.

Yes, SEI has a 'Holier Than Thou' attitude and have pissed off a lot of potential customers. I have some of their newer components on my pre-ban SEI and they're very good quality. The receiver deal has been a debacle though.

Does the FAL have a fluted chamber, or am I thinking of the G3 type?

What New Guy said. It's been a while since I shot my FAL(s) - but I don't remember them destroying the brass.

- - - Updated - - -

The USGI M14's didn't have any "metric" parts. You might be thinking of the Polytech rifles - which were ChiCom M14 clones.

If I had the cash for an M1A, it'd be the Scout Squad model, too.

For less than half the price, I got a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle instead. Does most everything the M1A SS does (except semi-auto, obviously) while being about two pounds lighter (good for hunting and, well, 'scouting'). And it's a 1" MOA rifle, which is something the M1A cannot say.

Maybe the bolt-action even saves me some $$ since I can't shoot as fast as the M1A.

If I had the cash for an M1A, it'd be the Scout Squad model, too.

For less than half the price, I got a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle instead. Does most everything the M1A SS does (except semi-auto, obviously) while being about two pounds lighter (good for hunting and, well, 'scouting'). And it's a 1" MOA rifle, which is something the M1A cannot say.

Maybe the bolt-action even saves me some $$ since I can't shoot as fast as the M1A.

You can't really compare a consumer grade bolt action with a military semiauto. Sure, the M1A SS isn't USGI or anything, but the design and the robustness are still in a different league.

Back
Top Bottom