• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I've been thinking of an M1A

Recently I haven't been able to take my eyes of the M1A. I can feel it getting worse every day. I'm not sure what I can do about it anymore. I'm pretty sure the Scout version with the wood stock is the one for me. I've always been a synthetic stock guy but this gun's different. It just looks and feels better in wood. I'm not sure how much longer I can go on living like this [laugh]

I've never shot one before but I did have a mini 14 for a while. I know, different gun but I liked the action. What do people who own one think? What configurations do you have? I'd like to hear some opinions of M1A owners

I like mine. It's done everything I've ever asked it to.

With the scout scope configuration, I've been able to make hits on man sized steel out to 400 yards.

P9291493.jpg

With a RDS, I never stretched it out to distance, but with the aid of a cheek riser inside 100 yards was no problem.

P4241031.jpg

Those are some nice looking M1A's. Its the price thats holding me back. Ive held one and the seem like solid and well made guns. Im not sold on the whole AR10 thing. I do have an AR15 and I like it, but I don't think the 308 version is for me. My mini 14 flawlessly chewed through many thousands of lacquered steel ammo when my ar starts coughing around the 200 mark before getting one glued in the chamber. I'm hoping the superb reliability follows through to its bigger (and better manufactured) brother. Cry once ($$$) I guess

I've owned several M1As in my life. I started off with a SA SOCOM16 which I pumped money into like crazy. Got the SOCOM2 extended rail for it, new parts from Sadlak, new stock, scopes. Was never able to achieve above a 3" group with it, tried all sorts of ammo. Finally gave up and traded it for a full-sized "Loaded" model from SA. That rifle was great, shot 1" MOA no problem, even with iron sights (bench rest). I used it for several years, took it bear hunting, loved it.

Then I saw a scout-size M1A... And I had to have it. Ended up getting that, and once again, it was as accurate as I expected, around 1.5-2 MOA. I ended up finding myself hunting more and more with the scout vs the full-size version, and it was a bit easier (weight) to shoot offhand and lug around. In the woods, in tight shrubbery or whatever, it was much easier to have the scout. So I ended up selling the full size, and I just have the scout now.

I have it set up pretty similar to a previous post, with a long-eye-relief scout scope, but I replaced the top handguard with a rail (Ultimak) to get the scope so low I don't need a cheek riser. This is a great setup, as you get 2.75x magnification but it still handles well.

Get one, you will love it.

My cousin recently picked up a national match. I shot it a few weeks ago (my first M1a) and now I must have one. I'm saving my pennies.

I had one in the army. So now I have a pre-ban I've had for 26 years and a Socom 16 that I purchased a few years back in a Troy chassis. The socom is cool, but the classic lines of the old one are cooler. Buy it!

I have three of these beasties. Pet peeve...Only Springfields are 'M1A's.

My newest acquisition... a pre-ban Springfield M1A bush rifle. This one has a BPT M25 gas cylinder and BPT scope mount with a Vortex Strikefire.

The other two... my favorite (on top)pre-ban Smith Enterprises M14 w/med weight barrel chambered in M118 and full NM enhancements. The other is a Fulton M14 receiver w/med weight fluted barrel sitting in my modified Troy stock. This is still a work in progress.

I would look at the new Rock-Ola M14F being produced by James River Armory if I were to purchase another M14. The ones they are making are using USGI components where possible.

I have a spare connector lock pin that I may need to build into another M14 [smile]

Last edited:
I've got a loaded and a scout. For hunting and generally anything involving carrying one you'll like the scout more. Mine was wood and was my dedicated iron sights hunting gun, the loaded was setup like a USMC dmr with a Leopold mk4, mother of god it was heavy. Well I couldn't resist the urge to tinker with the scout so it ended up in a modified GI fiberglass stock with mk14 sights, schuster plug, etc. Its getting a can and probably an aimpoint micro. Then I needed the mk4 scope for my bolt gun so the loaded went back to stock with irons. I take it hunting sometimes. I love them both.

Last edited:
its been ordered - Scout Squad with walnut stock. I hope to see it by the weekend. I plan to keep the iron sights only. The GI sling will be ordered soon too.

I had a full size standard M1A in a nice green synthetic stock. Then I tarted it up with a Troy MCS and a scope, damn thing weighed a million pounds. Sold it, experimented with a 308 AR platform for awhile, sold that, and ended up back to a M1A, but this time a SOCOM 16. The only thing I've done to that is put the Ultimak rail on it for use with a red dot while still being able to use the irons.

My general rule is, if I sold or traded a gun, and ended up getting another of the same again... then it's permanently in the collection.

I would look at the new Rock-Ola M14F being produced by James River Armory if I were to purchase another M14. The ones they are making are using USGI components where possible.

Can you tell me any more about these? Where are the receivers made?

Last I knew, LRB was the only company making forged M14 receivers.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom