Its small, but it's a start!

Well I took my newly minted LTC and a small stack of gift cards off to Bass Pro this afternoon and am now almost the owner of a new SIG Mosquito. As has always been the case with long gun purchases, I got delayed by the Fed's. I knew it was coming, so it wasn't too much of a disappointment. I'll be going back tomorrow (I hope) to finish up, then it's Friday night in the basement of Hanson Rod and Gun.

That's the price I pay for having a common name I guess. The Bass Pro guy said not to feel bad, they once had a guy come in whose name was Ted Bundy. The guy insisted on being called Theodore. [smile]

On a related note, does anyone have any experience with getting a FBI UPIN, I think I'm going to look into it so I don't have go to buy every gun twice.

Well I took my newly minted LTC and a small stack of gift cards off to Bass Pro this afternoon and am now almost the owner of a new SIG Mosquito. As has always been the case with long gun purchases, I got delayed by the Fed's. I knew it was coming, so it wasn't too much of a disappointment. I'll be going back tomorrow (I hope) to finish up, then it's Friday night in the basement of Hanson Rod and Gun.

That's the price I pay for having a common name I guess. The Bass Pro guy said not to feel bad, they once had a guy come in whose name was Ted Bundy. The guy insisted on being called Theodore. [smile]

On a related note, does anyone have any experience with getting a FBI UPIN, I think I'm going to look into it so I don't have go to buy every gun twice.

Congrats on your first gun.

I don't know anything about a FBI UPIN, so I can't help you there, but a friend of mine owned one and had some issues with different kinds of ammo feeding reliably.

This is the video he made about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUHM8H7_450

Enjoy the gun, let us know how you like it.

Your thread title reminds me of what my ex-wife used to say............[shocked]
[smile][smile]

Congrats on your first gun.

I don't know anything about a FBI UPIN, so I can't help you there, but a friend of mine owned one and had some issues with different kinds of ammo feeding reliably.

This is the video he made about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUHM8H7_450

Enjoy the gun, let us know how you like it.

Cool video, thanks! I know they had a lot of problems with the early models, but the newer ones seem to be pretty well reviewed. Besides, even if I stick with premium HV rounds, I hope to save enough money and develop enough good habits to make it a good starter gun.

Whats so common about Machocheese?

Upin is good, just don't loose it.

I'm still waiting for the feds to figure out who I am again.[sad2]

Yeah, I'll bet that's a royal PITA. What do they send you is it a card/license, or just a number. If it's a number, is it one you can memorize or is it too long?

Thanks all,
Matt

I wonder what percentage of people who get those delays with the FBI checks also get hung up when using their passport to get back into the US......

keep your pin # in a safe place in the house. I forgot mine (fingerprint didnt work, dont know if it is the same thing) and luckly our firearms officer was wonderful and got it to me the next day.

is this the pin number that you get with your permit??

is this the pin number that you get with your permit??

The UPIN number I am talking about is part of the FBI Voluntary Appeal File. You are basically saying that you give them your consent to keep a record on you that indicates you are allowed to buy a firearm. Otherwise every time you get a NICS background check done, they destroy the records afterward to protect your privacy. So each time I buy a gun I get delayed again. The PIN number allows the person conducting the check to get right to my file. Im not too worried about protecting my privacy in this situation, since I figure if the FBI want's to know, they'll find out.

Here's a link to the brochure regarding VAF files.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/vafbrocheng.pdf

The UPIN number I am talking about is part of the FBI Voluntary Appeal File. You are basically saying that you give them your consent to keep a record on you that indicates you are allowed to buy a firearm. Otherwise every time you get a NICS background check done, they destroy the records afterward to protect your privacy. So each time I buy a gun I get delayed again. The PIN number allows the person conducting the check to get right to my file. Im not too worried about protecting my privacy in this situation, since I figure if the FBI want's to know, they'll find out.

Here's a link to the brochure regarding VAF files.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/vafbrocheng.pdf

ok, so then what was the pin number that came with my LTC for? places that dont have the fingerprint scanner?

ok, so then what was the pin number that came with my LTC for? places that dont have the fingerprint scanner?

That's my understanding. Also many places that have the scanner seem to have a lot of problems getting it to work properly. It read my print today, but it took about a dozen attempts. Some dealers probably give up and use the LTC Pin number.

I have gone to the FBI to get on the voluntary appeal file, or what you are calling UPIN.

It gives the NICS people the right to maintain records of your transactions, and should stop delays in getting new purchases.

It works best when you have the dealer CALL in the NICS check, rather than use the computer. It's a simple number to remember. It has nothing to do with the PIN you get from the local police when you get your LTC.

It took me about 4 months to get it approved, so get going on it. You'll need your local PD to do fingerprints for you on the approved form. You can pick up an application for applying at many gun shops, or or do a search for Voluntry Appeal File.

I too bought the Sig Mosquito as one of my first pistols and I like it a lot. Great weight/feel to it, easy to shoot, and decent for some basic target and plinking. Ammo is cheap for .22lr, so you can shoot lots cheap with that.

Do you put your SSN on the 4473 ? I do,I figure what the hell,they know everything else about me.

The gun store and anyone else who has access to their records doesn't know my SSN, I'll keep it that way.

I too bought the Sig Mosquito as one of my first pistols and I like it a lot. Great weight/feel to it, easy to shoot, and decent for some basic target and plinking. Ammo is cheap for .22lr, so you can shoot lots cheap with that.

Yeah, the economical ammo had a lot to do with why I bought it. I also figured for the first time in my life, I would listen to the advice of those who knew better and start out with a .22.
Now the only problem is no one seems to have CCI Minimags in stock. I'm just gonna go with the best HV rounds I can find.

Oh yeah, Bass pro just called and said I'm all set. [laugh]

Try...

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/nicsappeals.htm

Voluntary Appeal File

If you continue to experience transaction denials or lengthy delays as a result of subsequent firearm background checks, you may be eligible for entry into the NICS Voluntary Appeal File (VAF). For more information pertaining to the VAF, you may contact the NICS Customer Service at 1-877-444-NICS (6427).

-Mike

To Depicts, drgrant and others,

Thank you for the info regarding the VAF. I'm definitely going to proceed with this as I always get a delay. I don't mind so much for a local purchase but would hate to pass up something far from home or at a gun show because I couldn't complete the transaction in one shot.

I called the local PD and the same detective who handles LTC's also does the fingerprinting for VAF's. He's a real nice guy and seemed familiar with the process. I just need to go down M-F 8:00-4:00 get the prints and send in the application.

Right now however, I'm off back to Bass Pro to complete purchase number 1!

Hey 100th post. Yea!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom