• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

It's Official - the press quantifies an "Arsenal"

SteelShooter

NES Member
Here's a description of an arsenal

Man with arsenal

A Saugus man who allegedly held his wife and their young daughter against their will Tuesday night with an arsenal of weapons on hand appeared in court Wednesday.

In all, a handgun was found in a safe in the bedroom, a .22 caliber rifle, a 12 gauge shotgun, neither of which was locked up or had a trigger or cable lock. The firearms were placed in a bag in the closet, which does not lock.

Along with the firearms, police located .22 caliber rounds, .40 caliber handgun rounds and various 12 gauge shotgun shells. Several empty handgun holsters were also located along with several large knives, a sharpened sword and a Ka-Bar under the couch.

With all your funky laws in MA, Those empty holsters must have got him a few extra years in the pokey huh?

If that's an arsenal, what's a cache?

It's what you have to spend to get an "arsenal"! [rofl]

Oh, I ammuse myself at times.....

But, look at it this way....if he was found with "a laughably small anount of guns and ammo." it woudl not have as much traction as a scare-the-sheep story.....

[rofl]From what I've heard from a few sources, gun charges are almost always plead out/down to almost nothing. Probably not in this case, but certainly in your run-of-the-mill murder in Deathchester/Murderpan

I have an arsenal of democracy in a secret hidey-hole in a wall. My regular arsenal is in the bedroom, and I think there's a cache of ammo under the sofa. I gotta put that stuff away somewhere ...

Well...maybe someone should call her and ask her why she uses the term arsenal. Or where the cut-off is between arsenal, cache, and stock-pile.

781-593-7700
Police/Fire news: Robin Kaminski - ext. 1211

A Saugus man who allegedly held his wife and their young daughter against their will Tuesday night with an arsenal of weapons on hand appeared in court Wednesday.
In all, a handgun was found in a safe in the bedroom, a .22 caliber rifle, a 12 gauge shotgun, neither of which was locked up or had a trigger or cable lock. The firearms were placed in a bag in the closet, which does not lock.

so he held hostages without using the guns as they were in a bag in the closet.

So why was it even mentioned?

so he held hostages without using the guns as they were in a bag in the closet.

So why was it even mentioned?

More proof that she's a crazy nutjob. Why, who else would even consider being in a house with guns? I think the governor better get to work on a new bill to protect us all [thinking]

Another one!!! Isn't this considered illegal seizure??

http://mystateline.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=185655

When police got inside the home, they found empty shell casings
They should start digging for bodies, since obviously the only way this could happen is if he had knocked off a few folks in his house.

Police say a 67 year-old man owns the home and the weapons. He is a legally registered gun owner.

"At the current time we're taking the firearms for safe keeping as evidence until we can further investigate this," says Deputy Chief Lindmark.

Neighbors say even though the weapons may be legal, they still pose a security threat to their neighborhood.

Woods' says, "Even if he's a registered gun owner or not, that just seems like its too many rifles."

I won't even ask....

As of late Wednesday afternoon, police haven't charged the homeowner. Police say he's out of town and they're still trying to get in contact with him.

He's in for an unwelcome surprise!!!! Oh, and charged him for what?

Last edited:
an oldie but a goodie for these situations...

journalists-guide-to-guns-1.jpg

Earlier that day in Rockford, police were called to another burglary!!

UPDATE: Police Seize Over 300 Books from Rockford Home

(Rockford) -- More than 300 books were removed from this home on Auburn Street. It's a scene residents say they aren't accustomed too.

Coley Woods lives across the street from the home. He says, "I'm thinking it's an accident or something, but I look over and I see them with all them books."

"It's just un-real to see this many books involved a regular residential neighborhood," says concerned resident McArthur Tennin.

Police were called to this home just after two this morning. They arrived after neighbors called about a burglary. When police got inside the home, they found empty book shelfs and a variety of works, from Shakespeare to Glenn Beck.

Deputy Police Chief Greg Lindmark says, "some were open, some weren't some appear to be legible because they're old and then some to be fairly new."

Police say a 67 year-old man owns the home and the library. He is a legally registered book owner.

"At the current time we're taking the books for safe keeping as evidence until we can further investigate this," says Deputy Chief Lindmark.

Neighbors say even though the books may be legal, they still pose a security threat to their neighborhood.

Woods' says, "Even if he's a registered book owner or not, that just seems like its too many books."

Shortly after police arrived, the home was condemned and the books were only part of it.

Deputy Chief Lindmark says, "When the police got to this residence they found a tremendous amount of garbage and different items stacked from the floor to the ceiling."

Police will run checks on all of the books to see if any were stolen or involved in any thought crimes.

As of late Wednesday afternoon, police haven't charged the homeowner. Police say he's out of town and they're still trying to get in contact with him. Police also haven't made any arrests in the burglary.

I am SO screwed! Let's see arsenal- check, cache - check.... I am in SO much trouble. Who writes this drivel? Oh I know. some little journolist major that spends his day spinning his reporting with his fellow journolist. Pathetic. They really need to get a pair.

Last edited:
I am SO screwed! Let's see arsenal- check, cache - check.... I am in SO much trouble. Who writes this drivel? Oh I know. some little journolist major that spends his day spinning his reporting with his fellow journolist. Pathetic. They really need to get a pair.

You miss the point - it's not about "growing a pair," or heavens forbid, "fairness;" it's about writing copy that sells papers. If it were reported along the lines of, "...and a couple of guns. Not a big deal," that would not be sexy.

There used to be a famous news photographer that, whenever a child was injured or killed (e.g. a car accident) would place a kid's shoe ( he had a bunch in his car's trunk ) to add to the pathos of the scene. It helped get his pictures published.

The reporter has to make the story "worth reading". A Weapons Cache, Arsenal, or military-grade firepower will catch the eye. Especially the uncritical eye of one not knowedgable about such things.....

Journalism is not objective anymore.

People feel too entitled to add their opinion to the story, probably because they belittle their audience as being too dumb to "get it". Also for self-glorification.

Most recently experienced with those coming to the defense of Matt Amorello.

Is a Arsenal more than a gaggle?

Definitions of arsenal on the Web:

An arsenal is an establishment for the construction, repair, storage and issue of weapons and ammunition. The word arsenal appears in various forms in Romance languages (from which it has been adopted into the Germanic languages), i.e. Italian arsenale, Spanish arsenal etc.; Italian also has arzana and darsena, and Spanish a longer form atarazanal. The word is of Arabic origin, being a corruption of dar as-sina'ah, "house of manufacturing" or "manufacture". Alternative derivations, such as arx navalis, "naval citadel", arx senatus (i.e. of Venice, etc.), have been discounted. For Early Modern Europe, the Arsenal was the Venetian Arsenal.
A first-class arsenal, which can furnish the material and equipment of a large army, embraces a gun factory, carriage factory, laboratory and small-arms ammunition factory, small-arms factory, harness, saddlery and tent factories, and a powder factory; in addition it must possess great store-houses. In a second-class arsenal the factories would be replaced by workshops. The situation of an arsenal should be governed by strategic considerations. If of the first class, it should be situated at the base of operations and supply, secure from attack, not too near a frontier, and placed so as to draw in readily the resources of the country. The importance of a large arsenal is such that its defences would be on the scale of those of a large fortress.
The usual subdivision of branches in a great arsenal is into storekeeping, construction and administration. Under storekeeping we should have the following departments and stores: Departments of issue and receipt, pattern room, armoury department, ordnance or park, harness, saddlery and accoutrements, camp equipment, tools and instruments, engineer store, timber yard, breaking-up store, unserviceable store. Under construction: Gun factory, carriage factory, laboratory, small-arms factory, harness and tent factory, powder factory, etc. In a second-class arsenal there would be workshops instead of these factories. Administration: Under the head of administration would be classed as the chief director of the arsenal, officials military and civil, non-commissioned officers and military artificers, civilian foremen, workmen and laborers, with the clerks and writers necessary for the office work of the establishments.
In the manufacturing branches are required skill, and efficient and economical work, both executive and administrative; in the storekeeping part, good arrangement, great care, thorough knowledge of all warlike stores, both in their active and passive state, and scrupulous exactness in the custody, issue and receipt of stores. Frederick Taylor introduced command and control techniques to arsenals.
[edit]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom