• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Its finally done - My new M&P blaster

Its been a bit of a painful process but I've finally finished my M&P Open Gun in 9 Major.

Modifications include:
- Trigger has been significantly reworked - took most of the pre and over travel out, worked the sear and striker block, changed the springs, etc. Trigger break is short and pretty clean at 3.6 lbs. with good reset
- Storm Lake threaded barrel
- Carver Comp which took some fitting (since its actually for a glock) and also added a set screw rather than having to loc-tite it.
- Speed Shooter Specialties Magwell
- Slide mounted JPoint
- Tayler Freelance 170mm basepads making 27rd big sticks.

I'm really happy with how it came out. Now I have to work up a load that will work with the gun and make major PF. I'm starting w/ 115's and HS-6 so we'll see how it goes. Off to the range...

0708101625a.jpg

Last edited:
First range report - I hit a major issue today. Didn't bring enough ammo!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't expecting the gun to run perfectly so I only had the 25 test loads and 30 regular 115gr minor rounds with me. Needless to say it was a very short trip. My test loads were 8.0 grains of HS-6 with a 115gr bullet at 1.170. Shot ~163PF although I didn't shoot w/ the chrono that much as I had to dump a half mag just for the fun of it. Dot tracked really well and I had no FT_'s of any kind. The combo of a 13lb recoil spring and reduced power striker spring seems as though it may work out. I'm going to make a couple more batches of test loads tonight going in .2 increments to get up to major. I will say this though - the gun is loud. With just my headphones on, my ears were still ringing a little after I was done. Tomorrow I'm going to double up. So far so good......

First range report - I hit a major issue today. Didn't bring enough ammo!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't expecting the gun to run perfectly so I only had the 25 test loads and 30 regular 115gr minor rounds with me. Needless to say it was a very short trip. My test loads were 8.0 grains of HS-6 with a 115gr bullet at 1.170. Shot ~163PF although I didn't shoot w/ the chrono that much as I had to dump a half mag just for the fun of it. Dot tracked really well and I had no FT_'s of any kind. The combo of a 13lb recoil spring and reduced power striker spring seems as though it may work out. I'm going to make a couple more batches of test loads tonight going in .2 increments to get up to major. I will say this though - the gun is loud. With just my headphones on, my ears were still ringing a little after I was done. Tomorrow I'm going to double up. So far so good......

Awesome. if you want to try some 121gr 9mm, let me know

So.... you bringing it Sunday?

I'll bring it just for fun but not sure if I'll shoot it in the match. I'll have to see how tomorrow goes. Just finished a bunch more test rounds to check on the chrono tomorrow morning. Sunday may be pushing it but I may break it out for Manville next weekend.

is this your 9Pro on steroids or is that the build we were talking about? In either case Nicely done! can't wait to see it in action. Can you shoot that in IDPA or is that officially now a straight competition gun?

After trying a bunch of combos, I would go with 124/125s for 9 major. They'll be softer and easier to make major. HS6 is really dirty but works well.

Dan Burwell was talking a while back about having comps made to match the M&P slide profile. I wonder if anything came of that.

Glad to see your barrel finally showed up.

Actually it didn't. I got tired of dicking around with the guy and just bought one retail. Still fighting him though for a refund or to actually deliver the thing.

Dan Burwell was talking a while back about having comps made to match the M&P slide profile. I wonder if anything came of that.

Yeah, I spoke with Dan about a month ago. He had a design done and was happy with the performance but they hadn't been made yet. He was trying to find someone to produce them for him.

I've put a couple hundred rounds thru the gun this week and although I had to change some stuff, I think she's ready for prime time. Looking to break her out this weekend. Can't wait..

Back
Top Bottom