• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ithaca colt rollmarks?

So after six years, I asked my girlfriend's father for his blessing on engaging his daughter this past Thanksgiving. He said he'd be thrilled to have me as his son. I'm thinking of making him a replica Ithaca Colt 1911 with his birthday as the serial number (and yes I know the sequence would make it an obvious fake, but that's not an issue). He recently retired from the US Army as a Colonel, is a history buff, and doesn't own a 1911 that I know of. I'm looking for a quality image to copy so I can have an 80% laser engraved. Any ideas on where I might find such an image? 1911 builders won't have steel GI frames in till February, so I have some time to collect surplus parts.

So after six years, I asked my girlfriend's father for his blessing on engaging his daughter this past Thanksgiving. He said he'd be thrilled to have me as his son. I'm thinking of making him a replica Ithaca Colt 1911 with his birthday as the serial number (and yes I know the sequence would make it an obvious fake, but that's not an issue). He recently retired from the US Army as a Colonel, is a history buff, and doesn't own a 1911 that I know of. I'm looking for a quality image to copy so I can have an 80% laser engraved. Any ideas on where I might find such an image? 1911 builders won't have steel GI frames in till February, so I have some time to collect surplus parts.

Go to "Cool Gun Site" coolgunsite.com and hit "ID pages" on the left. All the info you will need is there, for any USGI .45 variant and maker. Good luck!

Go to "Cool Gun Site" coolgunsite.com and hit "ID pages" on the left. All the info you will need is there, for any USGI .45 variant and maker. Good luck!

Wow! That's a very informative resource - Thanks! The pictures aren't super clear, though. I will definitely refer to this site for detail choices, but I want to make sure I get the markings right. If I get a surplus slide, I'll be able to make sure everything makes sense.

1943Co6.jpg

This is exactly the type of photo I'm looking for, but higher quality.

1943Co6.jpg

This is exactly the type of photo I'm looking for, but higher quality.

There was a whole Ithaca dedicated link on that site; it now appears not to function. Depending on how closely you want to copy a particular pistol, see what parts you have,

decide what period in production they most closely match, then study the roll marks for that particular period. I don't know about Ithaca, but Colt and RR went through several iterations during WWII production. As a fail-safe, have "AA" or another arsenal rebuild mark stamped onto the frame. That way, if a part ends up being too early or late for the markings you choose (or from a different manufacturer), you're still covered!

Mike

There was a whole Ithaca dedicated link on that site; it now appears not to function. Depending on how closely you want to copy a particular pistol, see what parts you have,

decide what period in production they most closely match, then study the roll marks for that particular period. I don't know about Ithaca, but Colt and RR went through several iterations during WWII production. As a fail-safe, have "AA" or another arsenal rebuild mark stamped onto the frame. That way, if a part ends up being too early or late for the markings you choose (or from a different manufacturer), you're still covered!

Mike

That's smart. I'll probably do that. I'm still looking for a good shot of the frame markings. I was sort of hoping somebody here might have a ww2 era piece they wouldn't mind taking a super close picture of with the serial taped off. The make doesn't really matter all that much - I've just seen mostly ithaca/colt surplus slides on various sites for sale, so I figured I'd go that route

interesting to see such similar engravings with subtle font differences. I'd have guessed they were more different than that.

Back
Top Bottom