Issues CCW, Denied Handgun Purchase!

So i just recently moved up here and on July 20th got my DL and submitted my CCW app to Manchester Police. Week later a Detective calls and says something is showing up in the system as open. I had a DUI in Washington State with/ Hit and run attached IN 2008. I got nailed on the DUI, max penalty is 1 year in jail. The Hit and run was dismissed. I go to the Police station and show original copies of my court documentation and the next day they mail my paperwork back.

Last night I went to go purchase a pistol and was delayed. The dealer said most likely because I was born in Mass. So today Manchester police let me know I came back clean and issued me my CCW. No later than 20 minutes the dealer calls and says I am denied by the state. WTF, didn't I just have a background check done? Anyways go and get my money back, I show the dealer my just issued CCW. He then states it could be because I just moved into the State.

Anyways from the legal side, I have a DUI conviction from Washington State. I got 5 years of unsupervised probation and I can own weapons and it states that on my court paperwork.

Is this a case of the same issue that Manchester police ran into, as the state running into? I just walked into the station with paperwork and everything was fine.

I already called the State Police, but the girl doing my check was gone. What to do, freaking out!

100+ views I am sure we are all thinking mostly the same thing. You can of course try to fight the power yourself and that may just take a lot of your time and energy. If you want to take the easy route you will need to lawyer up and since you have a clear documentation it should not be hard for them. Which is more valuable your time/energy or the money it will take to do this quickly and efficiently with a lawyer. Your call but that is my advice.

ETA: Oops - I failed to check the forum - this is NH. Please ignore.

Are you sure you were denied by the State and not by the Feds? If your LTC is valid, the mircs system shouldn't be rejecting the transfer.

First, check the e-fa10 system to make sure your LTC is good. You'll need your pin:

https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentHome

Select "Generate License Firearms Validation". Make sure you have adobe acrobat reader installed. I can't imagine why you would even need to do this if the PD just gave you your license.

Second, check back with the dealer and confirm that it wasn't a NICS rejection (Federal). If it is, there's something in your records that may need to be cleared up.

Then, you may need a lawyer.

Last edited:
In NH, the check for the Pistol License and the check for purchase of a handgun both go through the State Police.

Looks to me as if the Police Department's check through the system was flagged, so you went in with your paperwork and cleared it up with them, they issued the license. The state system still has the information without your explanation, that is what needs to be fixed. Contacting the State Police to see what they need is the right course of action. If there are issues then you should consider a lawyer.

Update!

I called the NH State Police Licesning line and spoke with one of the women there. I was exteremly surprised at how professional, understanding, and listening to my questions and she giving me as much info on the phone without me being there. Long story short, the same issue that the Manchester Police came up with, the State of NH is coming up with. For some reason my Hit and run still shows up in the system as active- same thing showed up to MPD. So come Monday i go to Concord and Bring my paperwork ( offical Court Documents- Yellow Copies and an offical Master court Docket Sheet) that states that the Hit and run was dismissed. Found out that Hit and Run is a Class "C" Felony in NH, and when I bring the paperwork in and ( her words) as long as the paperwork states the H and R was dismmised, they will reverse the denial. The Probation I am on is NOT issue. The women basically confirmed over the phone after I explained what Happen with the MPD and that I would have to provide evidence. The biggest pain is that my DUI and HR were attached to the same docket and case number.. while the HR was dismissed, it still somehow shows as active attached to my probation. Hopefully no more than an hour of coping paperwork and making calls.

Great job Joe! I am glad to hear it.
Its nice to hear a positive story like that also - meaning our tax dollars (yours in NH) working for you. Too bad it could not have been cleared up within the system before it caused problems but regardless its going to be resolved now.

Thanks to all for the advice and kind words. I called the courthouse in Washington and found out that some intern spoke to the investigating agent and she told him that my whole case was open, not just the unsupervised probation from DUI. Let's just say I was not happy, but then the clerk ( knowing how serious the screw up was) Faxed me a new updated docket to go along with my other paperwork.

Update!

I called the NH State Police Licesning line and spoke with one of the women there. I was exteremly surprised at how professional, understanding, and listening to my questions and she giving me as much info on the phone without me being there. Long story short, the same issue that the Manchester Police came up with, the State of NH is coming up with. For some reason my Hit and run still shows up in the system as active- same thing showed up to MPD. So come Monday i go to Concord and Bring my paperwork ( offical Court Documents- Yellow Copies and an offical Master court Docket Sheet) that states that the Hit and run was dismissed. Found out that Hit and Run is a Class "C" Felony in NH, and when I bring the paperwork in and ( her words) as long as the paperwork states the H and R was dismmised, they will reverse the denial. The Probation I am on is NOT issue. The women basically confirmed over the phone after I explained what Happen with the MPD and that I would have to provide evidence. The biggest pain is that my DUI and HR were attached to the same docket and case number.. while the HR was dismissed, it still somehow shows as active attached to my probation. Hopefully no more than an hour of coping paperwork and making calls.

Good luck. I'm sure they will work with you to resolve this favorably.

Now <for those of us interred in MA> think of how this would go in MA. Nobody to talk with, no way to get in the door of FRB/EOPS to show them the paperwork, strictly a FOAD response short of taking the state to court!

I got scared a bit reading this since I am moving to NH from Mass. Hope everything clears up for you.

Another Update!

I went to Concord today and things went very well. Went to the window, gave my id and waited for no more than 10 minutes before a Cheerful woman stepped out. She was warm and seemed to really care about my situation. She gave me the denial info, and then I gave her all of my paperwork. I guess its a good thing when she told me that I brought the most paperwork she had ever seen for an appeal. Explained the full situation, and she was honest and said that since i have official court documents over 3 years all showing the same thing, and the computer system shows something else, they would need to do more research. She even took the name of the court clerk that has been helping me, and she will contact him from now on. She told me it would be about a week before she could call the gun shop. There is a MAJOR backlog at the gun line now due to shooting in CO. All in all I feel like there is a 95% chance this is all fixed by next week. She also spoke with me that this issue will also appear on NICS, and that when this situation is fixed, to get the paperwork and prints for the Pin program ( or whatever its called) All in all, Damn I was impressed.

Another Update!

I went to Concord today and things went very well. Went to the window, gave my id and waited for no more than 10 minutes before a Cheerful woman stepped out. She was warm and seemed to really care about my situation. She gave me the denial info, and then I gave her all of my paperwork. I guess its a good thing when she told me that I brought the most paperwork she had ever seen for an appeal. Explained the full situation, and she was honest and said that since i have official court documents over 3 years all showing the same thing, and the computer system shows something else, they would need to do more research. She even took the name of the court clerk that has been helping me, and she will contact him from now on. She told me it would be about a week before she could call the gun shop. There is a MAJOR backlog at the gun line now due to shooting in CO. All in all I feel like there is a 95% chance this is all fixed by next week. She also spoke with me that this issue will also appear on NICS, and that when this situation is fixed, to get the paperwork and prints for the Pin program ( or whatever its called) All in all, Damn I was impressed.

Wishing you continued good fortune with it. If you were in MA, it would be a completely different story.

Wishing you continued good fortune with it. If you were in MA, it would be a completely different story.

When I was living in Mass, I wasn't even eligible for a FID card until 2018, because under MA laws, my Unsup Probation must be finished, then I have to wait 5 years just to apply. The I would have to deal with the whole DUI conviction from out of state, in Mass. That WOULD require Court action

She also spoke with me that this issue will also appear on NICS, and that when this situation is fixed, to get the paperwork and prints for the Pin program ( or whatever its called) All in all, Damn I was impressed.

Unless there is something that I'm unaware of there are no prints or PINs issued in NH.

UPDATE!!!

Not only did my Denial get overturned into Approval, through a weird series of events my record finally got correct, both at the state and Federal level. NFA here I come. On a side note, Gun line called the dealer LAST WEEK, and dealer Never called back. I had to call the gun line to find out. When I called the dealer he had no reason as to why they did not call. Manchester firing line has lost my business and will never shop there again. Jim or whatever his name is after calling me to bitch me out because I got denied tried to give we're in the making money business speach.... so then why didn't you call last week? Someone else is gonna be getting allot of money, but Manchester firing line will never get a cent from me again!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom