• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone have experience with NH non resident ccw?

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the New Hampshire non resident ccw? I did a search and went through a bunch of threads and couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. It'll be 30 days tomorrow and my money order hasn't been cashed so I know it hasn't been processed yet. It's really hard to get ahold of anyone in the permits office it took them about 10 days to call me back when I wanted to see if they had received it. What I'm worried about at this point is I work for DoorDash so I'm technically self employed. I wasn't sure what to put exactly so I just put the cities/towns I generally work out of. I just realized this may be a problem cause I've heard of people getting their applications sent back just for missing the zip codes on their references. I want to update them and give them the actual company address but I'm worried I won't get ahold of them in time. I know they really don't check references or talk to employers so do I need to be worried here? They're obviously backed up right now the lady that called me back said it'd be about 2 more weeks. I'm going to try to call them tomorrow and maybe try to get past the automated thing and talk to someone. Has anyone else had problems with things like this? Also if anyone has applied for their non recently did it take this long? Most times it seems they're pretty fast. I definitely don't want to have to wait all over again and have to send it back. Any advice is appreciated...thanks everyone

Any particular reason you need a NH NR P&R? Pretty much only useful for carrying on a snowmobile/OHRV.

do I need to be worried here? They're obviously backed up right now the lady that called me back said it'd be about 2 more weeks. I'm going to try to call them tomorrow and maybe try to get past the automated thing and talk to someone. Has anyone else had problems with things like this?
They are still understaffed, same as for the last 18 months.
What I'm worried about at this point is I work for DoorDash so I'm technically self employed. I wasn't sure what to put exactly so I just put the cities/towns I generally work out of. I just realized this may be a problem cause I've heard of people getting their applications sent back just for missing the zip codes on their references. I want to update them and give them the actual company address but I'm worried I won't get ahold of them in time
I would've gone with "Self-Employed".

Last edited:
IIRC $100.00, your MA LTC License number and I think (been a while) your MA drivers license number and your good to go. I’m on number 2 or 3 and it’s never been a problem. You shouldn’t have any problems unless you’ve been jacked up somewhere. Less is more as far as info goes on any State required license - you don’t need to write a novel….

EDIT: Just re-read your post - chill out and let them do their job!

Last edited:
I’d just be patient and wait a bit more. What are you in a rush for? NH is constitutional carry and from what I recall, the only benefit of the permit is reciprocity or snowmobile carry?

Edit: I see I’m partially right and got beaten by the above hah

Last edited:
IIRC $100.00, your MA LTC License number and I think (been a while) your MA drivers license number and your good to go. I’m on number 2 or 3 and it’s never been a problem. You shouldn’t have any problems unless you’ve been jacked up somewhere. Less is more as far as info goes on any State required license - you don’t need to write a novel….

EDIT: Just re-read your post - chill out and let them do their job!
You don't need to provide a home state LTC to get a NH P&R non-resident. NH is OK with issuing a non-res even if you've been denied in MA as long as you aren't Fed PP or ineligible under NH law.

how can you work for somebody...

and be self-employed? asking for a friend.
simple, he's a contractor, not an employee.
That means no benefits and no unemployment if he's let go.
But if you're smart you can play the business expense game so the IRS/DOR gets a lot less of your money.
I remember one year I consulted for an attorney on the side, got a check for $2K. After all the clearly documented expenses I had $3 in taxable income from it. IRS actually noticed it but after looking at my docs they agreed it was all legit.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the New Hampshire non resident ccw? I did a search and went through a bunch of threads and couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. It'll be 30 days tomorrow and my money order hasn't been cashed so I know it hasn't been processed yet. It's really hard to get ahold of anyone in the permits office it took them about 10 days to call me back when I wanted to see if they had received it. What I'm worried about at this point is I work for DoorDash so I'm technically self employed. I wasn't sure what to put exactly so I just put the cities/towns I generally work out of. I just realized this may be a problem cause I've heard of people getting their applications sent back just for missing the zip codes on their references. I want to update them and give them the actual company address but I'm worried I won't get ahold of them in time. I know they really don't check references or talk to employers so do I need to be worried here? They're obviously backed up right now the lady that called me back said it'd be about 2 more weeks. I'm going to try to call them tomorrow and maybe try to get past the automated thing and talk to someone. Has anyone else had problems with things like this? Also if anyone has applied for their non recently did it take this long? Most times it seems they're pretty fast. I definitely don't want to have to wait all over again and have to send it back. Any advice is appreciated...thanks everyone
Paragraphs are your friend.

It's not that I'm in a rush, I don't want it to get sent back is what I'm saying. Also everyone who drives for DoorDash is "self employed" we all get 1099s. I'm just wondering if they'll bounce it back for not putting a full address.

It's not that I'm in a rush, I don't want it to get sent back is what I'm saying. Also everyone who drives for DoorDash is "self employed" we all get 1099s. I'm just wondering if they'll bounce it back for not putting a full address.
Wait, how are they supposed to mail it to you without an address. If they were to issue one.

You don't need to provide a home state LTC to get a NH P&R non-resident. NH is OK with issuing a non-res even if you've been denied in MA as long as you aren't Fed PP or ineligible under NH law.
The form doesn't ask, but the administrative rules do require it.

Saf-C 2102.02 Information Required.
(a) The applicant shall submit his/her:
(4) Resident state license number, as defined in Saf-C 2102.03(a);

Saf-C 2102.03 License Required.
(a) For the purposes of this section, “resident state license” means a license to carry a pistol or revolver concealed in the state where the applicant resides.
(b) No nonresident license shall be issued unless the applicant provides a copy of the applicant’s resident state license, or unless the applicant displays, for verification, a resident state license.
(c) Notwithstanding (b) above, an applicant who is a resident of a state that does not require a resident state license may provide the following in lieu of a copy of the applicant’s resident state license:
(1) A letter from the resident’s local police department signed by an authorized representative indicating the following:
a. The state does not require a license to carry concealed for residents;
b. To the best of the local police department’s knowledge, the applicant:
1. Is not a drug user of controlled drugs or narcotics without orders from a physician;
2. Has not been treated for mental illness, emotional problems, or confined to a mental health facility;
3. Has no domestic violence petitions that would prevent possession of weapons under federal law; and
4. Has not been arrested or convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence.
\

Note that the exception in 2102.03(c) is only for constitutional carry states. Mass is not one of those.

It had nothing to do with my personal address what I'm saying is I found out people have had their applications returned to them for not putting a zip code for their references. You have to list references and their addresses. They also ask for your employer and their address, since I'm technically self employed I didn't put a full address for my employer since I didn't think it would be an issue. Also, I'm applying for reciprocity reasons it has nothing to do with Constitutional Carry. My main question was if anyone had EXPERIENCE here and if anyone had their application returned to them for something similar?

The form doesn't ask, but the administrative rules do require it.

Saf-C 2102.02 Information Required.
(a) The applicant shall submit his/her:
(4) Resident state license number, as defined in Saf-C 2102.03(a);

Saf-C 2102.03 License Required.
(a) For the purposes of this section, “resident state license” means a license to carry a pistol or revolver concealed in the state where the applicant resides.
(b) No nonresident license shall be issued unless the applicant provides a copy of the applicant’s resident state license, or unless the applicant displays, for verification, a resident state license.
(c) Notwithstanding (b) above, an applicant who is a resident of a state that does not require a resident state license may provide the following in lieu of a copy of the applicant’s resident state license:
(1) A letter from the resident’s local police department signed by an authorized representative indicating the following:
a. The state does not require a license to carry concealed for residents;
b. To the best of the local police department’s knowledge, the applicant:
1. Is not a drug user of controlled drugs or narcotics without orders from a physician;
2. Has not been treated for mental illness, emotional problems, or confined to a mental health facility;
3. Has no domestic violence petitions that would prevent possession of weapons under federal law; and
4. Has not been arrested or convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence.
\

Note that the exception in 2102.03(c) is only for constitutional carry states. Mass is not one of those.
This was shot down by the courts as an unlawful requirement. I don't remember the case but it on here someplace. I filed the week after the court ruling and even included a copy of that ruling with my app. And I was granted a NH non-res P&R while not having an LTC in my home state of MA. I had it till I moved to NH and got a tissue paper resident P&R.

This was shot down by the courts as an unlawful requirement. I don't remember the case but it on here someplace. I filed the week after the court ruling and even included a copy of that ruling with my app. And I was granted a NH non-res P&R while not having an LTC in my home state of MA. I had it till I moved to NH and got a tissue paper resident P&R.
Non-resident P&R administrative rules were overturned back in 2016

Here's my cheat sheet:

• 2003 - HB415 statewide firearms law preemption (§159:26) signed by Governor Craig Benson (R)
  • 2004 - HB1309 Range protection amendment to §159-B
  • 2010 - HB1665 Knife law preemption added to §159:26
  • 2011 - HB291 passes without Gov. Lynch's signature. Fireworks laws relaxed, repealing §160-B:16-a
  • 2011 - SB88 Expanded Castle Doctrine (Veto Override)
  • 2012 - HB1551 Landowner Liability protection
  • 2013 - Court case NH v Dor (Definition of "loaded")
  • 2015 - As additional states expand their reciprocity acceptance, NH resident P&R covers 25 states
  • 2016 - Non-resident P&R administrative rules overturned
  • 2016 - HB500 Suppressor Hunting
  • 2017 - SB3 amends RSA 654:2 to clarify domicile, (a start towards vote fraud prevention)
  • 2017 - Governor Sununu signs SB12, establishing constitutional carry. P&R now optional, "suitability" is removed from the law.
  • 2018 - SB500 clarifies rules regarding loaded long arms on motor vehicle, adds recognition of airgun and crossbow hunting, and the definition of "Firearm" and "loaded".
  • 2021 - HB195 "Displaying a firearm shall not constitute reckless conduct" amends §631:3V

Last edited:
Any particular reason you need a NH NR P&R? Pretty much only useful for carrying on a snowmobile/OHRV.

They are still understaffed, same as for the last 18 months.

I would've gone with "Self-Employed".
P&R allows you to do the private sale of handguns with people you don't know

People may want the NH non-resident PRL because of the federal gun free schools act.
Guess somebody will eventually be the first to be persecuted just solely for that (as opposed to part of a larger, usually drug-related, case).
P&R allows you to do the private sale of handguns with people you don't know
As a non-resident?

Last edited:
That's awesome. If you find that court cite, I'd love to read it.

Administrative rules are supposed to change if a court has ruled against them. It's not like unconstitutional laws that can stay on the books after being found unconstitutional.

That's awesome. If you find that court cite, I'd love to read it.

Administrative rules are supposed to change if a court has ruled against them. It's not like unconstitutional laws that can stay on the books after being found unconstitutional.
look UP
@Kevin_NH posted the info right under my post, didn't think I needed to dupe him.

ETA: and of course they did give me one, so there is that first hand information as well.

Guess somebody will eventually be the first to be persecuted just for that.

People have been convicted under this statute in just about every circuit.

Federal prosecutors have also used it as leverage for people to take guilty pleas.

When the news of George Zimmerman first came out, Federal prosecutors were looking into charging him with this in the event he was successful in Florida court if he was within the radius. They quickly dropped it when they figured out he was exempt by having a Florida CWFL.

Just because it’s not a reason you care about doesn’t negate it for others.

Not between residents of different states, it doesn't. That's a huge federal no-no.
Not federal, within the state. For face-to-face pistol sales NH state law requires you to "personally know" the buyer or that they have a P&R.

Back
Top Bottom