Israeli F-15 Collision - Unbelievable Video

He's a hell of a pilot and proves that anything will fly if you put a big enough motor on it!

Nice nice flying, but what a plane!

If it only needs one wing to fly why did they give it two? :)

Respectfully,

jkelly

I loved his comment....

"If I saw that when I looked back I would have ejected" (or something to that effect)

That was INCREDIBLE!!!!!

The (surviving) pilot said he collided with a A-4. Check the video - that sure looks like an F-100 Super Saber to me!

You're right he did say A-4 and it surely wasn't an A-4. It looks like a F-100 but I don't think it is. Those were retired over 20 years ago and I don't think Isreal ever purchased any of them, unless it was a joint training operation.

My VACR training finally got used.... [smile]

ETA: I was pretty impressed with the pilot. It was funny when he said "Had I known the wing was completely gone we would have ejected"...

You're right he did say A-4 and it surely wasn't an A-4. It looks like a F-100 but I don't think it is. Those were retired over 20 years ago and I don't think Israel ever purchased any of them, unless it was a joint training operation.

My VACR training finally got used.... [smile]

ETA: I was pretty impressed with the pilot. It was funny when he said "Had I known the wing was completely gone we would have ejected"...

This accident happened over 20 years ago. The first briefing I saw on this was when the McD guys came to brief my squadron back in 1983 or 84. The collision was, in fact, with an Israeli A4. What you guys are missing is the video in the History Channel story is simply stock file footage. The aircraft shown on the History Channel "re-recreation" is indeed an F-100, but that's obviously not the collision footage or the collision airplane.

The F-15 is one hell of an airplane. As for the comment on "anything will fly if you put a big enough motor on it!" that might have been true with, say, the F-4, but the F-15 is a real thoroughbred. Realize that wing does all those great things with no leading edge hi-lift devices whatsoever. No slats, LEMF, nadda. One helluv an elegant design.

While they've slowly been withdrawing them from service (for at least the last 20 years), the IDF still had both Skyhawks and Phantom IIs in its active inventory the last I knew.

Ken

I wasn't trying to tell you something some already knew.

My only point was 1) the collision really was with an A4; 2) the video shown is clearly an F-100, and simply file footage. That really makes any discussion of whether or not Israel flew F-100's as moot.

Last edited:
Two things made me go...huh??

F-15's are single seaters, no RIO's and F-15's were never designed for carriers, therefore no tail hook.

1. Although the F-15A and F-15C are single-seat fighters, each squadron usually owns one or two "tubs," i.e. F-15B's or D's. The "family model" airplanes are used for pilot checkout and some checkrides, or anytime you want an Instructor Pilot actually in the airplane. Due to scheduling requirements, the tubs pop up on the flying schedule fairly regularly, even when not "needed" for a flight requirement.

1. All current USAF fighters have a tail-hook, to include the F-22A Raptor. The tail-hook is used for runway arrestment in the case of loss of any system that puts controllability on the ground in question, such as utility hydraulics (brakes and steering), a landing gear malfunction, or even, as we say, the loss of a wing (and it's obvious attendant systems losses).

1. Although the F-15A and F-15C are single-seat fighters, each squadron usually owns one or two "tubs," i.e. F-15B's or D's. The "family model" airplanes are used for pilot checkout and some checkrides, or anytime you want an Instructor Pilot actually in the airplane. Due to scheduling requirements, the tubs pop up on the flying schedule fairly regularly, even when not "needed" for a flight requirement.

1. All current USAF fighters have a tail-hook, to include the F-22A Raptor. The tail-hook is used for runway arrestment in the case of loss of any system that puts controllability on the ground in question, such as utility hydraulics (brakes and steering), a landing gear malfunction, or even, as we say, the loss of a wing (and it's obvious attendant systems losses).

I figured there were some two-seat trainers.

I wasn't aware of the tail hook. My buddy is one of the supervisors of the construction of the 22, I'll have to ask him about that.

Unlike the F-117A, where the hook is concealed behind an explosive panel, the hook on the Raptor is behind a hinged door on the centerline between the engines.

F15E's add a ground attack mission and also have 2 seats. This was not a Strike Eagle though: It lacks the conformal tank on the side of the intake ducts below the wing, and it did not exist 20 years ago, so it was either a B or D training variant.

It's still a cool video. I'd heard the story, but never seen the video before.

Back
Top Bottom