• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ishapore anyone?

BigTimber

NES Member
Since selling my 303 I've been keeping my eyes open for another. Came across a ishapore 2a1 in what looks like very good shape for 350. I've always liked the look of this type of rifle so I bought it. Anyone have one? Thoughts on them or any advise would be great, thanks.

Source a few 7.62x51 extractors from one of the online vendors. These rifles tend to chew through them.

Congrats on the acquisition, they can be good shooters. The last bolt action rifle produced to be fielded by regulars. What year is yours?

Ishapore's are as well made as the British and Aussie ones. Years ago they had more of a bad reputation but that has faded over the years as more and more of them came into the US. I own a 1949 Grenade No. 1 and the quality is just as good as my others. I have never owned one of the 2A1's so I cannot comment on those directly but I have no doubts the quality is as good as the earlier ones. What is the date of the gun? Looking forward to the pics.

$350 is the average price for a 2a1 on a quick GunBroker search. More for a Jungle carbine.

T
That's where I bought it and that's what I paid. Just waiting for it to come in now. The more I read about them the more I'm liking what I'm learning about these guns, here's hoping it lives up to the sellers billing.

Enfield Ishapore 2A1_1968.jpg

About 12 - 14 years ago many of the Indian Enfield Ishapore in .308 caliber hit the USA. You could pick up decent ones for about $100. The bore conditions were hit and miss. Some were real nice and some were so-so. At one time I had FIVE of these. I shot them all. They shot OK but only the one pictured above which had a near perfect bore shot what I would call "decent". Any of the five Mosin M39's I have shot better than than the Ishapore pictured above. I tried different bedding techniques on this one and some good handloads but it would always shoot 2 to 3 MOA whereas the M39 Mosin's all shot 1 1/2 MOA. I sold the other four Enfield Ishapores I had and kept just this one. Some say it is the rear locking lugs on Enfields that prevent these Ishapores from shooting really well. They are nice collector's items and many of the Indian Enfield Ishapores are in .308 so that getting decent ammo to shoot is easy.

Bob

Last edited:
Are there any with good bores? Pretty sure they were designated as wire wraps for grenade launching use because of their bad bores.

Ray my 49 has an excellent bore. I am not sure about any others though. I have a grenade cup for it as well and it is lots of fun sending those tennis balls out across my back field.

I had one with a good bore but the crown was worn pretty bad in one area from I'm guessing bad cleaning habits.
How's yours for accuracy?

I had one with a good bore but the crown was worn pretty bad in one area from I'm guessing bad cleaning habits.
How's yours for accuracy?

I have not shot that one in 12 years. It actually was my first No. 1 and I got it from CAI for like $75 or something stupid like that. If I remember right, it shoots really well. I remember hitting beer cans at 80 yards no problem.

Back
Top Bottom