Is this true?

Just picked up two Pflueger spinning rod/reel combo's and had to go through the manager override paperwork on both to match the web price. Couple guys were confused on what to do saying the in-store sale didn't start until tomorrow. I told them I was willing to buy them online and do the in-store pick-up if they wanted to carry them to the pick-up desk for me.

Worth the 20 minute ride so I could check out some of the things in person that I will buy on their website (and skip all the override price tickets). Store wasn't busy at all.

It was amusing to watch one girl try to figure out how to clean the glass on the auto-sliding doors. I told her to stand still and keep triggering the door instead of chasing the smudges.

I was there last week. The clerk apologized when the check ID came up on the register for a reloading book. He ignored it and just hit ok. He explained the store has encoded everything in the "gun" section as an Id check hit on the register. He was thinking it was just cause the store was so new, and later they will take stuff off the ID check list rather then adding all that is needed.

They want to see the birth date on the back of my LTC when I buy .22, but are willing to look at my driver's license instead of making me pry the LTC out of my wallet. I'm assuming this is their version of the WalMart "is this for a rifle or a handgun" question, both of which would presumably be in reaction to the federal minimum age for handgun ammo sales.

My son wanted to look at knives, saw the (numerous) "you must be over 18 to handle cutlery" signs on the counter and said "looks like we have a problem". Sales guy says not to worry since I'm with him.

Listened to an employee explain to a customer that the limit on .22 ammo was per transaction and suggest that he go put it in his car and come back in if he wanted more...

Seems like there's a range of training and attitude in the staff.

Cabelas is a great store...if you are in a state that supports the 2nd Amendment. Unfortunately, Cabelas in MA and CT suck due to the state laws and anti-gun political bullshit culture. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who lives in the Northeast.

Leave the poor chick alone she was probably just a kid looking for a job. Cabellas and dicks do it because they want to cover there ass because they have young kids who don't give two craps so if say some gangbanger was to throw them 50 bucks a week to buy ammo the kid is probably going to do it where the gun shop probably wont. Then it gets out that cabellas sold the evil cop killing 380 that sawed the only 15 year old in the hood who had a chance's head off. Then u get bad pub. But media rant aside they're covering their ass because they don't have people who care for the most part working there at the lower tiers that means they are at a higher risk. You don't like the policy don't go plenty of local gun stores that could use the business.

I was there last week. The clerk apologized when the check ID came up on the register for a reloading book. He ignored it and just hit ok. He explained the store has encoded everything in the "gun" section as an Id check hit on the register. He was thinking it was just cause the store was so new, and later they will take stuff off the ID check list rather then adding all that is needed.
^This. Why are people on this forum so quick to get pissed off about presenting your ID. Its not like their recording your purchases. Although I joined the cabelas club so probably mine are. But they're just covering their ass from our AG

^This. Why are people on this forum so quick to get pissed off about presenting your ID. Its not like their recording your purchases. Although I joined the cabelas club so probably mine are. But they're just covering their ass from our AG

Yeah but after a certain point it becomes obnoxious.. If you went to the grocery store with a loaf of bread in your hand and the kid at the register asked to see your license to carry, would you comply? That's what asking for it for something like a reloading book, or a mag loader is like. They're all unregulated items. Actually the loaf of bread is probably subject to more regulation. [laugh]

-Mike

Yeah but after a certain point it becomes obnoxious.. If you went to the grocery store with a loaf of bread in your hand and the kid at the register asked to see your license to carry, would you comply? That's what asking for it for something like a reloading book, or a mag loader is like. They're all unregulated items. Actually the loaf of bread is probably subject to more regulation. [laugh]

-Mike
A grocery store is a bad example, real bad. I mean I don't agree with HD not selling spray paint to under 18. But somewhere, some libtard wants to hold the electric company responsible for supplying the energy to the company that supplied the sheet metal to the ammo manufacturer.

"Obnoxious", and you don't think the AG trying to get the ATF to crawl up cabelas ass would be more obnoxious? The moment there is an incident the first thing she'll try to do is block cabelas from selling anything gun related.

Somewhere a computer program mass flagged everything gun related, and that got put into the system too. Im shocked that cabelas has all the ammo upfront and not behind glass or behind a desk like so many other ma gun stores.

Does the phrase "papers please? " mean anything?

Anything that isnt required by law is an intrusion and should be rebuffed appropriately.

A grocery store is a bad example, real bad.
Why is it a bad example? Cuz they're not selling eeevil gunz?

"Obnoxious", and you don't think the AG trying to get the ATF to crawl up cabelas ass would be more obnoxious? The moment there is an incident the first thing she'll try to do is block cabelas from selling anything gun related.

For selling non regulated items? Not sure if serious. There's some stuff on the margins, where I can sort of understand it, but most of the items flagged being discussed here are not anywhere close to being regulated items, in any state in america nevermind MA. So that is pretty obnoxious.

-Mike

We need a group buy in real life.

Six or seven people need to hit the check out with a variety of single item purchases, and determine what will require an ID incorrectly, then we do the following.
15 people load up their carts with a couple hundred dollars of stuff with the, "prohibited without ID" stuff up front". First person to get a call for an ID, just says, "No way." and walks, leaving all un-rung items on the counter.

Clerk and manager clears the isle, strat the restock process and the next of us walks up with different but one, "ID required" item in the front few things. "ID required? No way!" and they walk... I wonder how many people it takes to leave a hundred or so bucks on the counter and walk away before store policy changes?
Have you ever worked retail? Having spent a lot of time in front of a register, I promise you your plan wouldn't get any attention at all. If you walked up to me with a cart full of stuff, then suddenly you decided you didn't want any of it and walked off, I'd be relieved because I could just shove your cart aside and move on to the next customer. If several people in a row did that, it would probably make me look pretty good with the front-end assistant manager because he'd see that my line was moving exceptionally quickly.

I would assume the people who would set the policy are not sitting by the registers waiting to see what peoples reactions to the policy is. The people who are going to have to suffer through the exercise (clerks, restocking people, maybe an asst. manager) are not going to know whether the policy is inline with laws or not, and on top of that probably don't care to go on a crusade to get the policy changed. On top of that the lost volume of sales from people "making a point" is probably negligible compared to what they are churning through for other items.

I agree, frontline people generally have no ability to affect corporate policy. I see no point in making their day miserable just to stage some kind of protest.

I have refused to go through with a sale when I encountered an objectionable corporate policy at point-of-sale that I knew nothing about beforehand. Target wanted to scan my I.D. to sell me rubber cement. No, not just look at it to verify age; *scan* it, and do who-knows-what with the scanned info. I said "no way" and walked out of the store, leaving behind the 2 or 3 other items I'd intended to buy as well.

Does the phrase "papers please? " mean anything?

Anything that isnt required by law is an intrusion and should be rebuffed appropriately.

First off that doesn't apply. Cabela's is a Private company, so your example is wrong. So it could be their legal dept's policy. There are plenty of online ammo retailers that won't ship to mass, but its not illegal. They just get intimidated by the AG. You think Cabela's wants to get bogged down in a lawsuit in MA over something that they'll most likely win in court, but the cost of defending themselves. Its quite expensive to fight a govt in court, MA doesnt care if they spend 30million and loose, its only "your" money, but Cabela's investors care even if they win. The fact is, there is no doubt in my mind that the AG would send some kid in there to buy something gun related, hell even a gun lock then try a smear campaign against Cabela's. They put a school on lock down for a nail gun fuel canister, the people who run this state are bat shit crazy, lets try fix them first before ruining an establishment that serves us.

Why is it a bad example? Cuz they're not selling eeevil gunz?

For selling non regulated items? Not sure if serious. There's some stuff on the margins, where I can sort of understand it, but most of the items flagged being discussed here are not anywhere close to being regulated items, in any state in america nevermind MA. So that is pretty obnoxious.

-Mike
They are a private company with Finite $$ to battle a govt in court. Their legal dept, probably hired some kids out of college who didn't know any better and threw a bunch of stuff into the system, MA and NY's gun laws are nothing but a big circle jerk of tripping you up on every level, just to declare you unfit for a gun. The fact that they have all their ammo on shelves in the open, boggles my mind, well in this state at least. Im not saying I agree with it being flagged, but to rip on an establishment for something that could possibly be corrected in the future is kind of wrong.

I, for one, welcome our Big Brother overlord.

It is refreshing to be required to present documentation to purchase items guaranteed by our Constitution.

Perfecect
(extreme sarcasm...)

Last edited:
They are being overly protective of their business that happens to be in a state with abnormal and VERY confusing firearm lawrs. I am not surprised that they require LTC on a host of items that may not need it.

That I am happy for a big box store like this in MA is a reflection of state of affairs that we live under. I would rather show ID and have them carry a ton of stuff than have them not require ID but carry nothing but a couple boxes of ammo. Is there a happy medium? Yep. But a large corporate retail chain isn't going to take unnecessary risks in a state with lawrs that are as effed up, contradictory, and confusing as MA.

Just ask five gun store clerk to explain the MA AWB and you will get five answers and I bet all of them would probably be wrong.

That is exactly why they don't carry used handguns.

I guess I'll be canceling that trip I was planning to Cabela's........I'll stick with the LGS's.

I try shop at LGS whenever I can as well, but if they don't have what I need I have little choice but to give my money to the big box retailers. 556/223 has been out at local shops or in very short supply and I don't feel like waiting around for it if I can run to Cabelas or Walmart and grab some.

Was in there last night. The cashier had two plastic ammo boxes behind the counter. Lockable tupperware, basically. She kept looking at the door, saying "I wonder if he's coming back?" I asked what was going on, and she said she told the customer he needed an FID card to buy them, but he didn't have one on him. I told her, if it was me, nfw would I come back, and that the store policy was ridiculous.

I then had to show her MY ltc to buy ammo.

Someone really should clue in the store mgmt that their policies are costing them busines, and to get straight before there really IS a boycott

If most people didn't buy these items Cabellas would have to figure out why they weren't seling them.

Not really.

However, I do plan to address this with Cabela's legal counsel. It's on my bucket list, but not a real high priority right now and certainly no promises that anything I say will change their operating procedure.

Not really.

However, I do plan to address this with Cabela's legal counsel. It's on my bucket list, but not a real high priority right now and certainly no promises that anything I say will change their operating procedure.

Not really? How about, Cabellas would have to figure out why they have a bunch of items that haven't sold.

Not really? How about, Cabellas would have to figure out why they have a bunch of items that haven't sold.

Nope, they just remove them, ship them to another store and fill the space with other items.

----------------

We used to buy frozen OJ at Costco-Dedham. They stopped selling it because they didn't sell enough at that location but I could get it at the Waltham store. Discussed this with the store manager and that is how they decide what items to yank. There are no empty spaces in their freezer section . . . other items take the place of those removed.

Many years ago I had a discussion with the manager of Bldg 19 in Natick. She told me that candles were only sold in 1 or 2 stores as they just didn't move in some other stores. Same idea.

Back
Top Bottom