Is this true?

Was at Cabela's in Berlin, MA this past Saturday. Purcahsed a few things including the Mag Lula magazine loader. When at the checkout counter the young lady asks to see my LTC. I asked her what for. She said in order to purchase the mag loader in Massachusetts I needed either an FID or LTC? Is this true really? How ridiculous if so. Is it going to get that bad that someone who wants to purchase an accessory for say a gift such as a cleaning kit, holsters, sights, etc isn't going to be able to do so without a license? I really wish I could retire now and move to a non-bonehead state.

You should have told her you were going to use it for something non-gun related. "Oh no, it's OK, I use these to eat breakfast sausages."

So not true but Cabelas does have some pretty intrusive ID requirements based on corporate CYA policy. To buy ammo not only do you need your LTC but also a Drivers license as backup. FTW

I would tell her to go pound sand. No gun or ammo - LTC would have stayed in my wallet.

I had to show my LTC to buy a funnel made to fit on a bottle of black powder. Just the funnel, shaped a lot like the top of a restaurant ketchup bottle.

I need to laminate one of these and carry it around.

tumblr_niz2xpdOyn1s5oev9o2_500.jpg

Ugh...was planning on going this week to pick up some fishing stuff. Is the boycott on yet? I am going to run out of places to go buy stuff.

Might have to grab a bottle of Hoppe's to see if I get carded.

Ugh...was planning on going this week to pick up some fishing stuff. Is the boycott on yet? I am going to run out of places to go buy stuff.

Might have to grab a bottle of Hoppe's to see if I get carded.

Exactly...and then when they ask for the card just say never-mind...you keep it and walk out...lmao...

I was there when it opened..I was considering a bb gun for my son.. had him try the demo for stock fit..and pointing it in a safe direction, I might add...employee came and told me that no one under 18 could handle the guns.. needless to say they lost a sale..

Was at Cabela's in Berlin, MA this past Saturday. Purcahsed a few things including the Mag Lula magazine loader. When at the checkout counter the young lady asks to see my LTC. I asked her what for. She said in order to purchase the mag loader in Massachusetts I needed either an FID or LTC? Is this true really? How ridiculous if so. Is it going to get that bad that someone who wants to purchase an accessory for say a gift such as a cleaning kit, holsters, sights, etc isn't going to be able to do so without a license? I really wish I could retire now and move to a non-bonehead state.

No, it's not, but I'm sure some retard who works there, that thinks they understand the laws here told the clerks to do shit like that, or their POS system has a flag that comes up when certain items are scanned, etc.

-Mike

Not true, and I would be surprised if its even store policy.... I would bet that the idiot cashier saw the word "magazine" and thought "well you need an LTC to buy magazines...." (which is still not true I think unless its a hi-cap mag, but its a more believable store policy)

Seems that Cabela's is in the wrong business.. perhaps they need to stick with selling trendy outdoor clothing..and not things that are scary .. and sharp..or go bang..

Seems that Cabela's is in the wrong business.. perhaps they need to stick with selling trendy outdoor clothing..and not things that are scary .. and sharp..or go bang..

They are being overly protective of their business that happens to be in a state with abnormal and VERY confusing firearm lawrs. I am not surprised that they require LTC on a host of items that may not need it.

That I am happy for a big box store like this in MA is a reflection of state of affairs that we live under. I would rather show ID and have them carry a ton of stuff than have them not require ID but carry nothing but a couple boxes of ammo. Is there a happy medium? Yep. But a large corporate retail chain isn't going to take unnecessary risks in a state with lawrs that are as effed up, contradictory, and confusing as MA.

Just ask five gun store clerk to explain the MA AWB and you will get five answers and I bet all of them would probably be wrong.

I guess I'll be canceling that trip I was planning to Cabela's........I'll stick with the LGS's.

I guess I'll be canceling that trip I was planning to Cabela's........I'll stick with the LGS's.

If I was to "black cross" every shop that fed me some bullshit about the law, I'd probably run out of places to shop. That said, everyone's gotta set their line in the sand I guess, and I can't blame you on that front.

-Mike

Last edited:
I had to show my LTC to buy a funnel made to fit on a bottle of black powder. Just the funnel, shaped a lot like the top of a restaurant ketchup bottle.

Hoping my sarcasm meter is reading correctly on this one.

Still going this evening. Told my wife it says something about a fudge and nut shop on the website, so she's in.

Hoping my sarcasm meter is reading correctly on this one.

Still going this evening. Told my wife it says something about a fudge and nut shop on the website, so she's in.

It is a fun store with a lot of cool stuff you won't find elsewhere in MArxachusetts. We got a good chuckle out of the gun shaped coffee mugs being sold by the fudge shop and joked if we needed an LTC to buy those too.

It was worth a visit for us but I don't see us going back on a regular basis.

It is a fun store with a lot of cool stuff you won't find elsewhere in MArxachusetts. We got a good chuckle out of the gun shaped coffee mugs being sold by the fudge shop and joked if we needed an LTC to buy those too.

It was worth a visit for us but I don't see us going back on a regular basis.

Yes my Wife pointed out those mugs to me when they opened. Given the policies they seem to have put in place, I wouldn't be surprised if they demanded both your LTC and DL to buy one! Sad, really.

Sounds like I may pay them a visit on 5/9 with a friend who has a mission to pick up something specific.

We need a group buy in real life.

Six or seven people need to hit the check out with a variety of single item purchases, and determine what will require an ID incorrectly, then we do the following.
15 people load up their carts with a couple hundred dollars of stuff with the, "prohibited without ID" stuff up front". First person to get a call for an ID, just says, "No way." and walks, leaving all un-rung items on the counter.

Clerk and manager clears the isle, strat the restock process and the next of us walks up with different but one, "ID required" item in the front few things. "ID required? No way!" and they walk... I wonder how many people it takes to leave a hundred or so bucks on the counter and walk away before store policy changes?

Six or seven people need to hit the check out with a variety of single item purchases, and determine what will require an ID incorrectly, then we do the following.
15 people load up their carts with a couple hundred dollars of stuff with the, "prohibited without ID" stuff up front". First person to get a call for an ID, just says, "No way." and walks, leaving all un-rung items on the counter.

Clerk and manager clears the isle, strat the restock process and the next of us walks up with different but one, "ID required" item in the front few things. "ID required? No way!" and they walk... I wonder how many people it takes to leave a hundred or so bucks on the counter and walk away before store policy changes?

Why do you want to exert that much effort when you can simply buy stuff from vendors that aren't retarded? Vote with your wallet.

-Mike

I would assume the people who would set the policy are not sitting by the registers waiting to see what peoples reactions to the policy is. The people who are going to have to suffer through the exercise (clerks, restocking people, maybe an asst. manager) are not going to know whether the policy is inline with laws or not, and on top of that probably don't care to go on a crusade to get the policy changed. On top of that the lost volume of sales from people "making a point" is probably negligible compared to what they are churning through for other items.

Of a $200+ total for the trip I took to Cabela's where I got soft case, cleaning supplies, fiberoptic site, etc. do you know what was the most expensive item? $120+ for a Jacket. While I was checking out the firearms section the GF went off and got herself a jacket. So for every $1 I spent on stuff she spent $2. Its a nice place but for a Big Box store in MA I figure I can't expect them to do better. Would I do most of my purchases there? No, I can get stuff for cheaper, closer, and not have to worry about what policies they have in place.

On a slightly related note, The wife was up at Wally world in Plastow last week and noticed .308 in stock.
The inbred dillhole in sporting goods asks to see LTC, ok no problem.
Then he asks to see my son's.
What for she asked.
He says we can't sell ammo unless everyone that comes in together is licensed. It's the law. [thinking]

Where are all the posts that it's their business and they can do what they want? That's what most of the posts said when the guy could not buy a gun in Maryland recently. Let's at least be consistent.

Where are all the posts that it's their business and they can do what they want? That's what most of the posts said when the guy could not buy a gun in Maryland recently. Let's at least be consistent.

They can do whatever they want, that doesn't mean that their actions are infallible or immune from criticism. Not to mention the two cases aren't really parallel, at all. One is a dealer making a decision based on the context of a given incident, another one is making a blanket policy based off of false or misleading information in a vain attempt at trying to retain legitimacy.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom