• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is this knife illegal in Massachusetts?

Is there a site or page that gives an overview of Massachusetts knife laws? I'm thinking of getting a pocket knife myself and didn't realize there were so many laws regarding knives...

Is there a site or page that gives an overview of Massachusetts knife laws? I'm thinking of getting a pocket knife myself and didn't realize there were so many laws regarding knives...

Basically, no switchblades or double edged knives if the the blade is longer than 1.5". Other than that there is no length restriction at the state level.

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment…

That knife is 100% legal to own and carry in MA. Despite the state laws, there are also many towns and cities that have local ordinances about knife carry. Most only apply to blade length though. I think the typical limit is 3.5 inches.

That particular blade should be legal just about everywhere in the state. I carry a Cold Steel urban pal on my key chain which is similar.

.What you need to worry about is using the pocket clip. It is what cops watch for and even though it is the easiest way to carry, you should get used to a different method that conceals better

Check out the urban pal on Amazon.com. It is like a third the price of that one and a very nice blade.
Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Basically, no switchblades or double edged knives if the the blade is longer than 1.5". Other than that there is no length restriction at the state level.

Yet it's amazing how many people at gun shows/ gun shops say shit like "Spring assisted is illegal. Butterfly knives are illegal." [hmmm]

the law above says if you get caught commiting a crime with a blade over 1.5 inches it would make you a PP. So my personal opinion if you defend yourself with this you will be charged with a crime in this POS state..

b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

It was my understanding switchblades are ok to own but not carry however I could be wrong.

Yes, the entire law is about possession.

ETA:
(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle

Did a bit of searching and that may be in jeopardy: Bill S.1132

If passed, that knife would qualify as a "dagger":

"6. “dagger”, a bladed instrument designed for use as a weapon, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, push-knife, boot knife, combat knife, or fighting knife;"

I hate this state's politicians so much. I carry a firearm virtually everyday but a 2.5" knife or "push-knife" on my person might land me in jail with a felony? That is beyond belief.

that knife looks scary.
i pee'ed a little bit when i saw it.
please don't carry that knife....i will be afraid to know it's out there, and it could fall into the wrong hands.

baaaaaaaaaaah,
-sheep

^ haha. Well, I ordered it already but from the looks of it, I might not be able to carry it? (Legally) if that bill passes or if it already did. I'll just make a glass box for it and put it as a display. LOL

Thanks for everyone's response. I really wanted a fixed knife as an EDC but finding out what you can and can't do here is confusing as hell!

Seriously! I know ignorance of the laws isn't a defense but when there are so many laws who can keep track of them all?

I carry what I want and don't worry about it. If the cops are searching me, chances are I have bigger problems than possession of an "illegal" knife. Fvck em.

I kind if agree, but I'm always in the Methuen/Lawrence area and I feel like most of these officers are not pro 2nd and will use anything against me to disarm me. I don't want that.

I carry what I want and don't worry about it. If the cops are searching me, chances are I have bigger problems than possession of an "illegal" knife. Fvck em.

LOL! In many cases, laws exist just to give LEO grounds to arrest somebody and DEA's opportunity to escalate charges. There is no law "I don't like what you did" so they are provided with a long list of options.

I kind if agree, but I'm always in the Methuen/Lawrence area and I feel like most of these officers are not pro 2nd and will use anything against me to disarm me. I don't want that.

I don't want to tell people to breAk the law, but honestly how would anyone ever know what you were carrying? If you wind up shanking someone in self defense, a violation of a town ordinance is the least of your worries.

Keep it concealed and be judicious in its application. You will be fine. Live your life and try to avoid nanny state BS whenever you can. :)

I don't want to tell people to breAk the law, but honestly how would anyone ever know what you were carrying? If you wind up shanking someone in self defense, a violation of a town ordinance is the least of your worries.

Keep it concealed and be judicious in its application. You will be fine. Live your life and try to avoid nanny state BS whenever you can. :)

In Lawrence and Methuen, police are known for pulling people over and doing illegal searches. Most of the time, they get away with it. I'm not worried about getting searched or any of that because I'm law abiding but you just never know. I agree though, the only reason I want this knife is to conceal at 8o'clock and try to use it if someone is trying to take my firearm. An officer gave me the idea when he showed me his "don't take my
gun" knife, as he called it. But you know, cops are "special" and get away with stuff.

It makes me feel warn fuzzy and safe knowing that the "mariki gusari" is an illeagal weapon.
In case anyone does not know what this is, it is a chain with a weight attached to a sickel.
ggboy

It makes me feel warn fuzzy and safe knowing that the "mariki gusari" is an illeagal weapon.
In case anyone does not know what this is, it is a chain with a weight attached to a sickel.
ggboy

LOL! Just googled it... I feel so secure knowing it's illegal! Thanks!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! MA crime prevention 101... ban click clackers... and nunchucku!! Phew! Throwing star crime sprees are a huge concern as well............

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment…[/QUOTE]

That knife is 100% legal to own and carry in MA. Despite the state laws, there are also many towns and cities that have local ordinances about knife carry. Most only apply to blade length though. I think the typical limit is 3.5 inches.

That particular blade should be legal just about everywhere in the state. I carry a Cold Steel urban pal on my key chain which is similar.

.What you need to worry about is using the pocket clip. It is what cops watch for and even though it is the easiest way to carry, you should get used to a different method that conceals better

Check out the urban pal on Amazon.com. It is like a third the price of that one and a very nice blade.
Just curious about the pocket clip statement, I've carried a large folder via pocket clip since I was 13 years old and no cop has ever batted an eye at it. Damn near everybody I know also carries a knife that way as well and quite a few others carry a large fixed blade on a sheath, again no one has been hassled over it.

Just curious about the pocket clip statement, I've carried a large folder via pocket clip since I was 13 years old and no cop has ever batted an eye at it. Damn near everybody I know also carries a knife that way as well and quite a few others carry a large fixed blade on a sheath, again no one has been hassled over it.

It's one of things that some cops look for to bust balls. The town of Salem comes to mind as being fairly anti knife. I use the pocket clip also and have never had a hard time, but I'm a 40 year old unremarkable white guy. Some of you 25 year old tattooed hair faces may have a different experience in these places.

I heard a story from a bartender in Leominster about a woman that got locked up for a knife. It may be rare, but it does happen

Back
Top Bottom