Is this knife illegal in Massachusetts?

Mandatory "Everything is illegal in Massachusetts" post.

Can't believe it wasn't posted yet.

Basically, no switchblades or double edged knives if the the blade is longer than 1.5". Other than that there is no length restriction at the state level.

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment…

This state has the most F-ed up laws.

Yet it's amazing how many people at gun shows/ gun shops say shit like "Spring assisted is illegal. Butterfly knives are illegal." [hmmm]

I saw this in my town a month or so ago. Thought it was curious what they charged him with. Whats your take on this, as far as I know there are no local ordinances in Falmouth on the carrying of knives.

Meth lab raided in Falmouth
By Sean F. Driscoll
[email protected]
June 13, 2014 2:00 AM
EAST FALMOUTH — Two men were arrested Thursday in connection with a raid on what one detective said may be the first active methamphetamine lab ever discovered on Cape Cod.
Barnstable police Detective Lt. Sean Balcom described the house at 87 Chestnut St. as "toxic."
"Considering that we haven't had one on the Cape, any operation is probably big," he said of the meth lab.
The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration's Clandestine Lab Enforcement Team was at the house late Thursday morning to secure the volatile chemicals that are used in meth's production.
According to a statement issued by the Falmouth Police Department, the Barnstable Police Department's Narcotics Unit noticed an uptick of methamphetamine use in Hyannis. That investigation discovered the drug was coming from Falmouth, and both departments did a series of undercover buys of the drug to determine where it was being produced.
Balcom said two men were arrested at around 9:30 a.m. Thursday when they left the property by car. The house was raided by police and DEA agents at around 11 a.m.
Edward Rooney, 33, who lives at the house, was arrested and charged with possession with intent to distribute a class B substance and carrying a dangerous weapon (a spring-assisted knife), according to Falmouth police. Sean Mahavik, 25, who is homeless, was charged with possession with intent to distribute a class B drug.
A 10-year-old child was in the car when it was stopped, according to Falmouth police. The child was living in the home where the meth lab was discovered, police said.
Methamphetamine, also called crystal, ice or Tina, is a potent and highly addictive drug that can be taken orally, injected or smoked. Like other amphetamines, methamphetamine works by flooding the brain with serotonin and dopamine, often giving the user a sense of euphoria.
Chronic users, however, also experience severe depression, paranoia, insomnia, loss of appetite and tremors. Large doses can cause delusions, hallucinations and violent behavior.
Provincetown has had a quiet struggle with meth in recent years, with a potent form of the white crystalline substance showing up on the streets in recent months. But production of the drug is relatively rare in the Northeast.
Massachusetts had only three meth lab incidents in 2012, the most recent year that Drug Enforcement Administration data was available.
According to the DEA, most meth lab incidents are concentrated in the Midwest, with the top state being Missouri (1,825 incidents).
A lab incident refers to the discovery of labs, dump sites and chemical seizures connected with producing meth.
In 2008, Yarmouth police discovered gear and ingredients used to make methamphetamine at a rented house in South Yarmouth, but they said it was not an active lab, and they believed the materials were left by a former tenant.
Follow Sean F. Driscoll on Twitter: @seanfdriscoll.

Copyright © Cape Cod Media Group, a division of Ottaway Newspapers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

I saw this in my town a month or so ago. Thought it was curious what they charged him with. Whats your take on this, as far as I know there are no local ordinances in Falmouth on the carrying of knives.

Meth lab raided in Falmouth
By Sean F. Driscoll
[email protected]
June 13, 2014 2:00 AM
EAST FALMOUTH — Two men were arrested Thursday in connection with a raid on what one detective said may be the first active methamphetamine lab ever discovered on Cape Cod.
Barnstable police Detective Lt. Sean Balcom described the house at 87 Chestnut St. as "toxic."
"Considering that we haven't had one on the Cape, any operation is probably big," he said of the meth lab.
The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration's Clandestine Lab Enforcement Team was at the house late Thursday morning to secure the volatile chemicals that are used in meth's production.
According to a statement issued by the Falmouth Police Department, the Barnstable Police Department's Narcotics Unit noticed an uptick of methamphetamine use in Hyannis. That investigation discovered the drug was coming from Falmouth, and both departments did a series of undercover buys of the drug to determine where it was being produced.
Balcom said two men were arrested at around 9:30 a.m. Thursday when they left the property by car. The house was raided by police and DEA agents at around 11 a.m.
Edward Rooney, 33, who lives at the house, was arrested and charged with possession with intent to distribute a class B substance and carrying a dangerous weapon (a spring-assisted knife), according to Falmouth police. Sean Mahavik, 25, who is homeless, was charged with possession with intent to distribute a class B drug.
A 10-year-old child was in the car when it was stopped, according to Falmouth police. The child was living in the home where the meth lab was discovered, police said.
Methamphetamine, also called crystal, ice or Tina, is a potent and highly addictive drug that can be taken orally, injected or smoked. Like other amphetamines, methamphetamine works by flooding the brain with serotonin and dopamine, often giving the user a sense of euphoria.
Chronic users, however, also experience severe depression, paranoia, insomnia, loss of appetite and tremors. Large doses can cause delusions, hallucinations and violent behavior.
Provincetown has had a quiet struggle with meth in recent years, with a potent form of the white crystalline substance showing up on the streets in recent months. But production of the drug is relatively rare in the Northeast.
Massachusetts had only three meth lab incidents in 2012, the most recent year that Drug Enforcement Administration data was available.
According to the DEA, most meth lab incidents are concentrated in the Midwest, with the top state being Missouri (1,825 incidents).
A lab incident refers to the discovery of labs, dump sites and chemical seizures connected with producing meth.
In 2008, Yarmouth police discovered gear and ingredients used to make methamphetamine at a rented house in South Yarmouth, but they said it was not an active lab, and they believed the materials were left by a former tenant.
Follow Sean F. Driscoll on Twitter: @seanfdriscoll.

Copyright © Cape Cod Media Group, a division of Ottaway Newspapers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

"Spring assisted knife" seems to be a big bugaboo on Cape. I've talked to more than one person who has been (illegally) relieved of their knife by a local (Barnstable) LEO. Hell, I got my car ransacked by a Yarmouth cop when I was 19 and didn't understand my rights for a having a night stick on the back seat.

It makes me feel warn fuzzy and safe knowing that the "mariki gusari" is an illeagal weapon.
In case anyone does not know what this is, it is a chain with a weight attached to a sickel.
ggboy

1. manriki, nor mariki

2. no sickle; just a weight at each end

"Spring assisted knife" seems to be a big bugaboo on Cape. I've talked to more than one person who has been (illegally) relieved of their knife by a local (Barnstable) LEO. Hell, I got my car ransacked by a Yarmouth cop when I was 19 and didn't understand my rights for a having a night stick on the back seat.

I got stopped by a cop in Barnstable or Dennis when I was in college, on my way to a party. I had a sawed off hockey stick with a lanyard/cord on the end poking out from under the seat. He said "What's that?". I answered "Personal protection", and he left it at that.

:)

Some research reading for you on a rainy Saturday:

1. "alternative" knives
  2. Neck Knife Recommendations
  3. What do you carry when you dont want to carry
  4. Carrying to the TD Garden for the Celtics Game 5

Last edited:
The 2.5 inch limit is a city ordinance in certain cities such as Boston. The punishment is a $300 fine, not automatic jail time. Daggers and other "dangerous weapons" are a different story.
I hate this state's politicians so much. I carry a firearm virtually everyday but a 2.5" knife or "push-knife" on my person might land me in jail with a felony? That is beyond belief.

It makes me feel warn fuzzy and safe knowing that the "mariki gusari" is an illeagal weapon.
In case anyone does not know what this is, it is a chain with a weight attached to a sickel.
ggboy
Thats a kusari Gama, or kusari Kama. And in the right hands, it's so nasty, it'll put a machete to shame.

Has anyone ever come up with a definition, or picture of a freaking "zoobow"? Every time I do a search, all I ever get is a repeat of that quesiton.

Has anyone ever come up with a definition, or picture of a freaking "zoobow"? Every time I do a search, all I ever get is a repeat of that quesiton.
h9D14B8C0

It depends. are you an Operator? If you are, do you have your Operator's license?

The Ghostrike Punch Knife includes a glass filled nylon sheath that can be strung around the operator’s neck with 550 cord or worn on a standard 1.75” tactical belt. The sheath also features four grommet holes for operators who choose to tie it down to MOLLE gear with 550 cord.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Tactical/Knives/Ghostrike-Punch-Knife_31-002721
I want this knife but I want to comply with knife laws in this P.O.S state. Can anyone help me, please?

the law above says if you get caught commiting a crime with a blade over 1.5 inches it would make you a PP. So my personal opinion if you defend yourself with this you will be charged with a crime in this POS state..

b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

No

Is there a site or page that gives an overview of Massachusetts knife laws? I'm thinking of getting a pocket knife myself and didn't realize there were so many laws regarding knives...

What Mike-Mike said... there really isn't much to worry about unless the thing you're carrying is an exotic. (auto, dagger, double edged, etc.)

There are a few towns with knife ordinances, though (Boston, Worcester, and one or two on the North Shore that I forget about offhand) and if you care about such things you should probably pay attention to those. Lots of them ban knives over 2.75 in but this is never a criminal infraction, its always a town ordinance with some kind of fine attached to it. Worcester is one you don't have to worry about if you have an LTC, they have an exemption in their knife ordinance for LTC holders.

-Mike

Is there a site or page that gives an overview of Massachusetts knife laws? I'm thinking of getting a pocket knife myself and didn't realize there were so many laws regarding knives...

If Governor Grossman has his way, we'll need a permit for anything sharper than what you spread butter on your toast with...

Agreed, I can think of alot of things id use to defend myself with over a knife, fists included.

So.... If someone is attempting to take your firearm.... You will try and use your firsts instead of using a knife? That makes sense if you train in mma, I dont.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO, a knife is a tool; it's far more likely that you'll cut a sandwich than an aggressor.

true!

Then again , the nice thing about "being good with your hands" is that they are always with
you.
ggboy

So, no to carrying a knife but yes to carrying a firearm? You know what happens to people that say what they WILL do in a high stress situation? They do the complete opposite.. Lol so now this became a hand to hand combat forum. My bad. The knife came and guess what? The sheath doesn't work with my belt. Epic fail!

Back
Top Bottom