Is this an "A2" sight?

CRSIII

NES Member
http://www.sogarmory.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=103736&Catid=53&ParentId=53
ImageHandler.ashx

Any input/opinions?
(Modsquad, if this belongs somewhere else...)

It may be clever (and expensive too), but it sure does look like it has lots of places it can go wrong. Three pivot points and a telescoping connector and it looks as though that telescoping connector slides along the body of the sight.

But I am not a tactical kinda guy and regularly refer to one of my ARs as an M-forgery with a straight face so YMMV with my input on the subject.

cekim, I have a YHM front folder currently, .....and the rear is notably higher than the front.
Ahh, I see...

When I put a scope on my flat top - even though it looks like the A2 sight might interfere, it doesn't...

The FOV at that range is pretty narrow because of the optics...

I was just wondering what the company itself is trying to accomplish - but hey if it is reliable and gets you the correct height - go for it...

What's the height of your front folding sight now?

Last edited:
cekim, I have a YHM front folder currently, but I recently got this http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70869 and the rear is notably higher than the front. So I am trying to find a good solution. I suppose it doesent have to fold.

That's a good front sight. Too bad. Try cekim's advice of not going with a folder for the front (hopefully you have a fixed one sitting around or can find a proxy). Depending on the sight, your eye loses focus of the fixed front and you end up not seeing much of it.

That said, I removed my BUIS sights and I point you to my statement above about my tactical foo being very weak.

Jose is correct: that is not an A2 sight.

It may take the same post and be the same height and width, but it is not an A2 sight as would be defined in any sanctioned competition.

Jose is correct: that is not an A2 sight.

It may take the same post and be the same height and width, but it is not an A2 sight as would be defined in any sanctioned competition.

This is why I asked Jose to clarify his statement. Carl has another thread around here with the context of why he is asking. I don't believe based on that he cares about the legality of it in some competition or some philosophical argument about that *being* an A2 sight, he cares about the height as he is replacing the back BUIS with a now higher sight.

Maybe I am the one misreading his question... [thinking]

This is why I asked Jose to clarify his statement. Carl has another thread around here with the context of why he is asking. I don't believe based on that he cares about the legality of it in some competition or some philosophical argument about that *being* an A2 sight, he cares about the height as he is replacing the back BUIS with a now higher sight.

Maybe I am the one misreading his question... [thinking]

No, you got it. Thats it in a nut shell.

I have to ask. Are you answering the question literally, (Is this an "A2" sight?) or do you know for sure that it does not have the same dimensions as an A2 front sight?
It is not an M16A2 front sight as defined by the Technical Data Package.

The question was "would this be considered an A2 front sight?". In that light, my answer is correct.

Sorry if it seems pedantic, but I believe in dealing with issues as presented, not as I think they are presented.

Now, if the OP had asked if the sight is the functional equivalent of an A2 front sight, my answer would be "I don't know" since I've never seen the sight he presented.

When dealing with technical issues (and sighting in a rifle is a technical issue, albeit a simple one) precision and accuracy matter, not just in measurement but also in communication.

That's strange.

Generally, if it's not a standard A2 FSB, I would encourage using forward and rear sights from the same manufacturer.

Have you tried adjusting the post on the front sight?

I always thought the A2 referred to the rear sight (with elevation and finger knobs), as opposed to the old A1(wheel with spring pin for L&R windage only). Nothing really to do with the front sight and its operation.

Last edited:
Sorry, I guess I haven't read the other thread?

My only experience is with true A2 front sights, but I think that all front sights are about the same height.

No worries. It wasn't clear without the context what was being asked.

I always thought the A2 referred to the rear sight (with elevation and finger knobs), as opposed to the old A1(wheel with spring pin for L&R windage only). Nothing really to do with the front sight and its operation.

That's a good point. When I say A2, I mean the whole upper configuration, but the front sight is probably the same as an A1. (?)

Have you measured your current front sight?

If you can't find dimensions of the A2 online, I am sure someone can measure it for you (including me)...

Here is where the whole A2 thing comes from http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26575/Product/AR-15-M16_USGI_BACKUP_IRON_SIGHT They say the sight will regulate with an A2 front sight.

Not trying to dis you but a BUIS is usually referring to an A3 flat top upper. A removable carry handle can be added to use on a picanney rail found underneath the removable on A3's, not on a A2 upper (i.e, the carrying handle is not removable). As I remember, the A2 sight is the rear sight configuration, rounded grips as opposed to triangels. I could be mistaken, it's been 30 years since, to be honest, to actually giving a sweet s#$@ anyway. Not saying that a BUIS can't be an A2 type. And what the hell is an A5?

ETA: I asked about the A5 as I read that Australia is replacing with A5's. Seems to be just an M-4. Anyone with input?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom