Is there any restrictions on buying mutiple guns at the same time?

Wondering if there are any restrictions on buying more than one handgun at one time from the same FFL? I know I can only sell 4 guns in a year and im pretty sure I can trade as many as firearms in to a FFL as I want but not sure on how many I can purchase? Someone mentioned a red flag going up if I purchase more than one within a 2 week period? And that I would probably be getting a call from some government agency? Is there any truth to this? Thanks

There's no law against buying more than one in a day but I do seem to remember an FFL telling me that he did have to report it in some way. Can't remember the details though.

Report on >1 purchase of handguns from same dealer w/in 5 (I believe) days goes to your local police chief and BATFE. What they do with it is up to them. I've bought >1 like this and never had any contact with anyone wrt my purchases.You can legally buy as many as your bank account/cc will handle.

I had this ATF form filled out on me once but I believe it was for more than 2 handguns in a 5 day period. I was told I might get a call or even a visit from the ATF but neither happened. I was also told the "Call and or visit" usually happens if the guns purchased are of the same model or low cost guns.

In my 30 years dicking around in this business I've submitted many multiple sales reports and never once have I heard of any kind of "follow up" by any state or fed. agency. I think it's all rumor. Jack.

Wondering if there are any restrictions on buying more than one handgun at one time from the same FFL? I know I can only sell 4 guns in a year and im pretty sure I can trade as many as firearms in to a FFL as I want but not sure on how many I can purchase? Someone mentioned a red flag going up if I purchase more than one within a 2 week period? And that I would probably be getting a call from some government agency? Is there any truth to this? Thanks

If you buy more than one handgun from a dealer in a (5 or 7?) business day period a special form gets sent to the ATF and the cops.

I've had a couple filled out on me and never had anything happen. That said, I usually try to avoid the MHP crap out of principle.

In practice the only time people seem to get pinged by the ATF is if you buy a bunch of junker/cheap handguns at once. Most of the time they just call the dealer, if at
all. (to see if the dealer "knows" you, etc. )

-Mike

As others have said, there is no restriction on the number of handguns that can be acquired, but the FFL is required to submit a report (ATF Form 3310.4) in the event two or more handguns are acquired within 5 consecutive business days. The form is completed in triplicate, with one copy being forwarded to BATFE National Tracing Center, one copy being forwarded to "the official designated by the State or local authorities to receive this form...or...to the department of State police or State law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction where the handgun transfer occurred", and one copy is retained by the FFL. Anecdotal evidence suggests that several people on this forum have received a visit from BATFE in response to this, while the majority have not.

Do you know if the police notification thing is an MA thing or nationwide?

From the form instructions:

6. This report is to be submitted to:

b. Copy 2 - The official designated by the State or local authorities to receive this form, or in the absence of such designation, to the department of State police or State law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction where the handgun transfer occurred.

I would also like to mention that it's a FFL requirement, so it depends on the particular FFL, meaning:

- It goes by 5 of the FFL's actual normal business days, so if the FFL is open seven days a week, then it's 5 calendar days. However, if the FFL is open only one day every other week on Saturday, then it's 70 calendar days.

- If you go to a different FFL each time, then it is counted as an individual sale each time. So you can buy 100 different pistols and/or revolvers from 100 different FFLs, and there is no multiple purchase form needed.

- And just FYI, there may be some (scared or misguided) FFLs who would want to submit the form for multiple receivers, even though there is an ATF letter telling them not to. This would be especially true for things like Glock or 1911 receivers.

And just FYI, there may be some (scared or misguided) FFLs who would want to submit the form for multiple receivers, even though there is an ATF letter telling them not to. This would be especially true for things like Glock or 1911 receivers.

I had an FFL fill out the "multiple handgun form" when I picked up 4 1911 frames, however, that was before this clarification was issued by the BATFE. The bigger news in that letter is the decision that a receiver for a long gun may not be sold to an out of state resident and, I suspect, this was part of a concerted effort to push this new policy (the 4473 was changed to add "other" to the gun type selection box on the form).

There is not, yet that is, and regulatory claim that "structuring" purchases to avoid the reporting requirement is unlawful. ("Structuring" is the concept that allows the govt to prosecute if you engage in multiple cash transactions that are below the reporting limit, like visiting a dozen post offices on the same day buying a $2999 money order at each one).

("Structuring" is the concept that allows the govt to prosecute if you engage in multiple cash transactions that are below the reporting limit, like visiting a dozen post offices on the same day buying a $2999 money order at each one).

Is there a 3k max on money order purchases for some reason? Also, money orders have a max of 1k each. I had to send two mos to buy my 1050.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Is there a 3k max on money order purchases for some reason? Also, money orders have a max of 1k each. I had to send two mos to buy my 1050.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I think I was wrong about the cash limit - it may be $10,000. There is a limit above which all cash purchases of negotiable instruments must be reported.

Back
Top Bottom